PSYPHER by Robert Smith

Mar 21, 2010
I received by package for PSYPHER about 2 weeks ago, but I decided to play around with it a bit, and test out this bigger, better and stronger improvement to the original Universal Impression (which I will say, is probably my favorite and the best product from PCM - although, with PSYPHER out, PSYPHER takes the win).

DVD quality was top notch, as with all of PCM's releases, and Robert does a great and fantastic job teaching you the ins and outs of PSYPHER, and he throws in a lot of hints and tips to help you out and more...also included are a few routines, but because the gimmick allows you perform 'miracles', there's an endless possiblities of how and what you can perform with PSYPHER.

PSYPHER is very easy and simple to get the hang of, and because of those factors, it allows you to focus on your presentation, and with a strong presentation, it can really hit the spectator really hard, and leave a rememerable impact on them - it's indeed a really strong effect. One factor that I believe PSYPHER really depends on is believability - this isn't something you can 'master' in one practice session or in a day (in a presentation aspect), so the more you perform PSYPHER and the more you focus on your presentation, the better the reactions and better the impact and how well the spectators believe what you're doing.

I really like the routines Robert throws in, especially his 'Name and Card Routine' - although, the basic 'E-Z' and the 'Business Card Wallet' are also up there... these 3 are my most performed at this moment, although, the 'E-Z' and 'Business Card Wallet' was also taught in the UI DVD beforehand. His 'Name and Card Routine' was something that Robert taught me, and I feel in love with, and I'm glad to see it on this DVD for everyone to learn and perform.

*I will note in advance, to watch the DVD fully, as you must cut your gimmick to the demensions you want - I've cut mine so not only does it fit in the wallet, but also on the back of a playing card - if you have the DVD, you know what I mean... so know matter what effect I feel like performing at the time, I'm always safe.

Also, the marker used in the DVD and included is an 'Expo Eraser Board Marker', but Robert does teach you how to transfer the gimmick onto a 'Sharpie' - also, the gimmick pad is as well transferable, so you can move it from one surface to another.

My only con is you still need the 3rd piece to clear everything up - which takes less than 5 seconds- those who own UI, PSYPHER, or another other IP will know what I mean... other than that, PSYPHER is gold.

My recommendation: Highly Recommended - 9/10

http://papercranemagic.com/psypher.htm

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Psypher looks great. I used to use Universal Impression. Although I liked it, I have since moved on to something else I prefer. But I have no qualms with it - it performed well, and has never failed me.

I think the key with all such gimmicks though is how you use it. Please, for goodness sake, to anyone who reads this, please don't go out and buy Psypher, have someone draw something, and announce it. Please, please, please don't.

The gimmick is exactly that - it's a gimmick. No more, no less. It does what it says it does. But it's up to you to make what it does special. Take it, turn it into an effect. Be creative! The Name and Card Routine is probably what sounds to me like the one that really hits the right spot here.

I currently use mine for three effects - very different, and if I may say so, creative ideas that aren't your run of the mill information divination. This is what makes it special - this is what will make your use of this gimmick stand out. Otherwise, it's just another trick, and you're wasting your money.

Mar 21, 2010
I think the key with all such gimmicks though is how you use it. Please, for goodness sake, to anyone who reads this, please don't go out and buy Psypher, have someone draw something, and announce it. Please, please, please don't.

The gimmick is exactly that - it's a gimmick. No more, no less. It does what it says it does. But it's up to you to make what it does special. Take it, turn it into an effect. Be creative! The Name and Card Routine is probably what sounds to me like the one that really hits the right spot here.

I completely agree with your key points here, prae. Like I mentioned, you need presentation and believability to perform PSYPHER. It's not something one should just perform after seeing the DVD, or have someone draw something, and just announce it immediately, like you mentioned. At that point, it loses its connection, its climax, and its impact with the spectator.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The Name and Card Routine is probably what sounds to me like the one that really hits the right spot here.

I saw Robert perform and explain that effect a couple months back at a lecture at Marc DeSousa's place. Its just a beautifully structured effect and amazing use of Psypher.

Also, you can buy the sharpies if don't want to go through the trouble of making them.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I just got this and I am so stoked to have it. There is a ridiculous amount of potential with it and I can't wait to see what I can bring out of it. I actually have a camera now so I'm going to try to get a video of one application of psypher that I've been using and getting amazing reactions. I'm with Praetoritevong in saying please, please, please, if you get this effect, don't just blurt out the result. If you don't know how to milk effect then you do not deserve this highly explosive piece of awesome.

Most of us know that one hard case, maybe he's our best friend, our dad, our brother, someone we like to show new effects to and you just can not impress the guy anymore, he's always able to figure out some idea for the method. If not the whole thing, part of it at least. This effect will melt his brain. I've performed for three of my hard cases today and one said flat out 'Yeah, I got no where to run to with that one, like, I can't even think of a single part of how you managed this one.' Other comments were along the lines of 'I literally thought that there was no way you could possibly get this.' and 'I can't believe you actually did that, that was impossible.'. When I did it for my dad he immediately excitedly exclaimed "You mother _ _ _ _ _ _!" which is weird because...he's my dad and all but then right after that he starts calling his friends telling them about this insane effect I did.

Seriously, haven't been so stoked about an effect in so long this is ridiculous.

Naz

Oct 3, 2010
Batu Pahat, MY
I ordered Psypher from Papercrane about 1 month ago but, I haven't receive it yet! I've sent an e-mail to them and they decided to sent me another one. Now, I can't wait to receive mine.

Just ONE question:

Will the impression REALLY can go through 10 pages?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I ordered Psypher from Papercrane about 1 month ago but, I haven't receive it yet! I've sent an e-mail to them and they decided to sent me another one. Now, I can't wait to receive mine.

Just ONE question:

Will the impression REALLY can go through 10 pages?

I just tested it using a top flight memo book and I didn't get anything on page 10, it just starts to appear on page 9 and increases until about page 6 you should be able to read plain as day. If you plan to use it with a deck it has no problem going through the deck box and a plastic bag or deck box and a post it note. I will say it -may- work through more pages than that because I may have messed up a bit with the initial 'set up'. I can't really get into that with out exposure though.

Naz

Oct 3, 2010
Batu Pahat, MY
I just tested it using a top flight memo book and I didn't get anything on page 10, it just starts to appear on page 9 and increases until about page 6 you should be able to read plain as day. If you plan to use it with a deck it has no problem going through the deck box and a plastic bag or deck box and a post it note. I will say it -may- work through more pages than that because I may have messed up a bit with the initial 'set up'. I can't really get into that with out exposure though.

Thank you. I was hesitate because on normal UI it said it can go through 5-7 pages. But, when I try it nothing to be appear on page 7. Page 6 it started to appear but not clear until Page 5 I was able to read. It was a little misleading.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
If you do plan on using it for a notebook they provide just enough gimmick for a 3x5 notebook but you can also buy more of the gimmick. Tho the price of the dvd+gimmicks included is equal to the price of just the gimmicks included by themselves. Kinda scratching my head on that one.

Also, I finished a routine with this effect, specifically saying beforehand that I'm not working for tips or anything and the guy insisted on giving me a 20. So Psypher is halfway paid for on the second day I've been performing it for people.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
Thanks Nexus. It gave me a lot of confidence with this new material and also my performance style in general. They really went on and on about how well I performed and said I should do parties, walk-arounds etc. Which I'm going to look into I just have to develop some more routines and get business cards and all that. Psypher will, without question, be a part of it of course.

Apr 7, 2011
the underground.
Amazing review! I also have this effect and I love it - DEFINITELY one of b.Smith's best release. If you're Mentalism or the sort, than this is a MUST HAVE.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results