quick question

Feb 11, 2014
hey guys I have a question. I have been doing magic for about a year now and have basic sleights down like double lifts and forces and fake shuffles though I cant for the life of me get any kind of flourishes down. No matter how hard I try and practice I just cant seem to be able to do any. I cant even do a fan. My question is is it ok to be a magician without knowing flashy moves? Is it ok to be a magician who cat even fan? What do you guys think? Thank you!

Aug 4, 2015
Absolutely. Especially if you're a street magician, you don't need flourishes. I do, however, recommend that you master some of them because that will allow you to build up certain dexterity that you will need for more advanced tricks. For example, if I wanted to get into coin magic, I would start doing coin flourishes to learn the motor skills necessary to palm the coin.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
hey guys I have a question. I have been doing magic for about a year now and have basic sleights down like double lifts and forces and fake shuffles though I cant for the life of me get any kind of flourishes down. No matter how hard I try and practice I just cant seem to be able to do any. I cant even do a fan. My question is is it ok to be a magician without knowing flashy moves? Is it ok to be a magician who cat even fan? What do you guys think? Thank you!

It sounds like you have a problem with your cards, not your skill. Try buying a deck of Bicycle playing cards, or even Studs from Walgreens. The finish will do wonders.

I'm having a hard time understanding how you can force a card, do a double lift or a shuffle without being able to do a fan. Sure you can be a magician without fanning a deck of cards (I use cards constantly and don't do a ton of fans) but a fan is a foundational move. I think that there is something else going on here.

If you have a cheap deck of cards it wont fan without clumping, also what is your issue with the fan? Are cards dropping? Clumping? Your fingers lock up?

May 11, 2015
Northen Ireland
Flourishes aren't really that important in magic. In fact, when a magician does a flourish, it shows the spectator that the magician is really skilled with cards. This can sometimes cause the spectator to be suspicious of the magician. This can also encourage hecklers to try and ruin the magicians performance.

When I started magic, I could barely do a fan and now, 4 years later, I can do lots of flourishes. It's just something that gets better with practice. One day it'll just click.

Hope this helps :-D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results