Reputation - what started it all?

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
For starters do u have a reputation if not how are u intending to earn it?
if you have got one amongst class mates your school your town
how did u get it wot was that first trick that got people talking aobut u and
helped u get ure reputation? even wot was your first trick

Aug 31, 2007
1. Type in proper sentences, with proper spelling and proper grammar and all.

2. I can hardly understand you.

3. Yes, I have a reputation. I got it by performing Bob Hummer's Hummer Card.

4. Practise your stuff before performing and trying to get a reputation as a "cool guy".

- harapan. magic!

I am "The Magic Man" at my school, I am the only magician in the school. I just started to whip out basic card tricks and friends told friends who told friends, and the word just spread, Ive still got to show people who I am, and Im hoping by the end of 2008, my last school year, everyone will know my name, Tom Powell.

Cheers, Tom

I was known as the card guy, mainly because I always had a deck of cards, even my teachers used to comment "Hey you're getting better at that" when I was just walking around doing a cut or something. I'm a flourisher, not a magician, but still the same thing.

Yep, I was known for all my cards, and the fact I was always carrying a deck.

My name will get around even more now though that Im performing at a festival with a International Magician at the biggest festival here in South Australia next year.

Also being interviewed by 2 National Radio Stations (TripleM and TripleJ), and one State Radio, also the State Newspaper (The Advertiser).

So things are looking fairly big for me for the next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 23, 2007
well i am know from my town and the other 3 around me just from doing magic a football games and such

Sep 1, 2007
At my old school I just showed someone the Shapeshifter they would say: WOOW wtf or something and people notice that and so more and more people are coming towards you. Also for half an hour later someone will come to me and say: hey can you show me something and then the dice is rolling hehe

Best way to get a 'little' reputation is just on a party show someone a thing and they go wtf :p and people who are interested will come to you, some are more interested than others and they leave faster but the people that are coming to you you can show the things you already showed the others.

Only some will stay with you almost all the time then and be sure to not show them a trick twice ;) so you have to got some material down and you have to got it perfect>

One good trick which you show for everyone on a party is also good reputation maker, but remember they always want to see more :p

Sep 17, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
definately im known as magic pete at my school. everyone knows my name and there is about 2000 kids sou can guess my rep. everyone always asks me to show them something teachers kids even the janitors once or twice. it all started with me doing here then there from crash course 1 from ellusionist. it just blew peoples minds. i also always have a deck of cards. the best bit of advice i can give for making a reputaion is show anyone and everyone. no matter who asks you or whether or not your in the mood just do a trick and people will remember it.:D

Press releases. That is how I have gotten recognized on the street. Any show I've ever done that has some sort of news hook, I write up a press release and send it to a few local papers. Newspapers need stories everyday, they need to fill space. I've always gotten at least some print every time I've sent out press releases. It is also a great way to get gigs. "Oh... I read that article on you, can I hire you for..."

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
My "street cred" tends to be known more for my personality and style of magic which I personally feel is better than being "that guy with the cards".

Name recognition. That's where it's at.

Oct 6, 2007
ive been called criss angel, dave, jason copperfield (jason is my name) david copperfields cousin and one i get the most is magic man..

Sep 10, 2007
Thankfully, I'm not called "Magic Man" or "Magic Kid," not that it's a bad thing. I just don't like to be...I don't know, the same as everyone else?

Anyways, they just think of me as the guy who can do amazing things. This year has been pretty exciting, as some magicians just came in from the freshman year.

I've always been interested in magic, but I was never really aware of it, until I had bought the hummingbird card. I bought it, showed it to people, and wanted more. The first effect that I was performing a lot was something that is known by a few names, but it's also on one of the E dvd's. (Boy, was I surprised to see that there). Eventually, I found E, did more magic, and now found T11, and others. :)

Sep 1, 2007
lol...In my school there are three other magicians, one of them is my friend and I got him started into magic. The other two aren't really that good. Almost everyone knows me for bending a quarter and stigmata. My first trick though that commenced my recognition as a magician was the 2 card monte and biddle trick.

ChrisKenner

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
I had a great reputation as a break dancer in the early 80's. I challenge you guys to find me in a few old music videos.

Chris Kenner

Hint "train" that hint should find you at least 2 separate clips. good luck.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I started by doing hypnosis. I got my reputation by doing private parties. I tend to do more adult parties than anything else, so was known as the "adult hypnotist".

But lately I've been getting into doing more "Derren Brown" type of magic using cards and suggestion tricks with my hypnosis shows. So lately, I'm more known as the "adult hypnosis guy who messes with your head..." :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results