Riffle Fan - Need help with pressure

Oct 12, 2017
I know that most tutorials will say that it's something I have to figure out for myself. But is the pressure needed to do the riffle fan just under? Or is there pressure from above also?

Also, does the speed of the spread have anything to do with the stability so the cards won't fall while spreading?

Thanks!

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
Actually, there is very little pressure involved. The finger underneath the fan is putting only about as much pressure as required to support the deck. The right hand only puts pressure on the ends of the deck in order to do the riffle action, but it is not adding pressure vertically.

At first, it seems like you need to put pressure on top and bottom of the deck to prevent cards from falling, but you only need to balance the deck on your finger, without exerting pressure. The key for me was to be able to riffle the cards without pushing the deck down on my left finger.

The less pressure you use, the more uniform the fan.

Don't mind the speed. Gravity and card slipperyness will determine that.

Also, refer to those videos for additional tips:

Official tutorial by the creator himself, Dimitri Arleri:

Kevin Karlsson also gives some good tips here:

Reactions: lecardcollector
Oct 12, 2017
Hi again

A question about the dribble. The first video said slmething about anaconda dribble but this should just use a regular dribble, right?

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
Hi again

A question about the dribble. The first video said slmething about anaconda dribble but this should just use a regular dribble, right?

Make sure your three fingers are one outer edge of the deck. Doing so, the cards would fall straight. Just like you would if you were to perform Anaconda. If your pinky is touching the right side of the deck, such a dribble would cause the cards to turn as they fall.

Also, you will need to roll out your finger tips as the cards are released, to make way for the fan to spin.

Oct 12, 2017
Thanks guys. I tried to research the anaconda a bit and with that I learned to improve my dribble even more! The advanced dribble by the russian genius was really helpful.

Still not able to do the fan but certainly getting closer.

Oct 12, 2017
Do you guys think that the condition of the cards matter (as with a regular fan) when doing this flourish? I seem to do it better on certain decks (specially new ones, though a bit slippery).

Oct 4, 2017
Seems to be so my best luck with my better decks is only about 185 degrees. Still cant get the pressure right and when I do I forget to move my othet fingers out of the way.

Sep 9, 2017
So my experiences with these moves. I can't really give you any specific tips because I would have to literally see what you are doing to see what is going wrong. Because if the technique is wrong then everything else you do becomes kinda irrelevant. also you guys are talking about degrees and yeah they do that in the videos too, for me that does not work at all. I have no clue what degrees I'm holding it at. But I just keep at it till it works because it becomes a feeling and muscle memory that works better for me.

First thing I learned was to do a perfect dribble, if you cannot do this then you won't be able to do a perfect anaconda or riffle fan.
And trying to learn those moves with a half mastered dribble is a bad start because you will just make it harder on yourself.

Having a new deck for the riffle ONCE you master it definitely helps because it runs much smoother but it can also go too fast much more easily. I find that most of my old decks still work pretty well for the anaconda, though again a new but broken in deck will be better yes because the suction effect is stronger then with an old deck. It took me about 3 weeks of practicing the anaconda every day to get close to a straight line dropdown and it's still around a 5 out of 10 times perfect thing but at least cards aren't dropping anymore :p So I don't know how long you've been at it but it can take a while varying from person to person ofc.

I feel like you guys are making it harder than it has to be a little bit. All I did myself was watch the video of the original creators and from there I just started practicing and never watched a video about it again. I like to do it like this because then I learn how to feel out the mistakes and improvements myself. It might take a bit longer but in the end I will understand the move and the physics much better.

Also the Lepaul spread is a thing that's been bugging me too haha I feel like my deck is unusable for it after only a few tries and I'm hate to break open 10 new decks just to learn this move :p But damn I want to learn it though because that 1 handed fan you can do after you learn the lepaul is freaking awesome.

Oct 12, 2017
So my experiences with these moves. I can't really give you any specific tips because I would have to literally see what you are doing to see what is going wrong. Because if the technique is wrong then everything else you do becomes kinda irrelevant. also you guys are talking about degrees and yeah they do that in the videos too, for me that does not work at all. I have no clue what degrees I'm holding it at. But I just keep at it till it works because it becomes a feeling and muscle memory that works better for me.

First thing I learned was to do a perfect dribble, if you cannot do this then you won't be able to do a perfect anaconda or riffle fan.
And trying to learn those moves with a half mastered dribble is a bad start because you will just make it harder on yourself.

Having a new deck for the riffle ONCE you master it definitely helps because it runs much smoother but it can also go too fast much more easily. I find that most of my old decks still work pretty well for the anaconda, though again a new but broken in deck will be better yes because the suction effect is stronger then with an old deck. It took me about 3 weeks of practicing the anaconda every day to get close to a straight line dropdown and it's still around a 5 out of 10 times perfect thing but at least cards aren't dropping anymore :p So I don't know how long you've been at it but it can take a while varying from person to person ofc.

I feel like you guys are making it harder than it has to be a little bit. All I did myself was watch the video of the original creators and from there I just started practicing and never watched a video about it again. I like to do it like this because then I learn how to feel out the mistakes and improvements myself. It might take a bit longer but in the end I will understand the move and the physics much better.

Also the Lepaul spread is a thing that's been bugging me too haha I feel like my deck is unusable for it after only a few tries and I'm hate to break open 10 new decks just to learn this move :p But damn I want to learn it though because that 1 handed fan you can do after you learn the lepaul is freaking awesome.
Thanks for the tips! I also agree that at times that I seemnto get it, I have actually done a good dribble.

Now, the actual spinning seem to be contributed by the gravity, and the weight if the cards put on each other. If I dribble too fast and put too much pressure, the weight is concentrated in mostly one area and the cards fall. If I lessen the pressure though, the cards just fly forward.

Sep 9, 2017
I used to do it on my index too till full circle but I realized that the Thumb nail is much more stable and once you get used to it, also much easier and it will get you bigger fans AND it looks better imo.

The main thing here is the mistake I made too in the beginning, at the point where your fan stops is where it loses velocity. And this is because you start doing the riffle fan while holding both of your arms horizontal so it's simply spent it's energy when it reaches that point.

To get it to go further first of all you hold the deck a bit more sideways against the nail so that there's a slight dropdown which gives the fan speed. And then to get it to go 360+ there's an arm movement involved too and you are pretty much static right now.

So at the point where the fan loses it's velocity again after you slightly angle the deck you move the riffle arm a little bit upwards and this will give it the extra nudge to make it spin further than 360 degrees.

I have no idea how to share a specific video I got from instagram because it's was not my plan to promote myself here but I cannot figure it out. I don't see any option to take the link and just post that. https://www.instagram.com/juvator/ It's the 6th video from the top. If you like it I suggest you watch some of those other vids too because a Horizontal Riffle fan is only the beginning and I got some vertical ones too.
You don't see my arm movement or really how I angle it haha but that's what happens when you do what I just said.

Good luck :) Riffle fan is one of my favorite moves right now and I'm working on it a lot!.

Jul 12, 2020
When I try to make rifle fan,sometimes my rifle fan dropped,sometimes my rifle fan became 180degree.After I watched YouTube and made it,it couldn't spread out evenly and still overlap each card.
Does anyone give suggestion how to get 360degree rifle fan?Right now rifle fan is my favourite move.

Thanks for your advice.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results