Riot by: Dan Hauss

Jan 29, 2009
Effect: A card is selected from the deck and signed. It is left outjogged in the middle of the pack. Slowly and visually, the signed card moves up through the deck, penetrating the remaining cards in a visual display entirely under your control at all times.

+ You then hand the signed card back for complete examination.

Review:

DVD/Teaching: I personally thought Dan Hauss was boring in this video. I have his flow dvd, and I thought he was fun and entertaining in that. I was surprised to see him so... lifeless in this video.
Besides that, he taught everything pretty well. He went over every aspect, and also a few different ways to end that trick. [/FONT]

-7/10 because it was boring to watch

Gimmick: You have to make a gimmick yourself, and though its very clever... I could not picture using it in the "real world". To me, when performing up close and surrounded, it can be very obvious. From far away, I doubt someone would notice. So if you want to back way up from the person(s) you are performing for, then this maybe the trick for you. The gimmick to make uses common supplies you should have, and if you don't, they cost like 2$. I will say though this trick will work AWESOME on camera, because they camera will not pick it up.

-5/10 because the gimmick can be VERY obvious...

Methods:
The methods taught for this trick are ingenious. I love all the methods, especially where the signature visually comes up to the top!

-9/10, because their easy and ingenious!

Overall: This trick is alright, the effect is killer, but the gimmick just doesn't work for me. If I find myself in a situation where I can back up for some reason, I may perform this. But for now, this will sit on my shelf for a trick on camera... 6/10

J

J:G

no way dude! this trick is killer! i just bought it and i would give it a 8/10 fo sho!
you just need to know how to manage the angles and practice alot! pluss, it really helps
if you modify the gimmick so it isn't as obvius(not that it is) oh and the one thing i love about
this is i personoly never use it as a stand alone trick but if you modify it, it can be used in an
ACR. so far no one has figured it out and i think its a great edetion to my ACR.

D

Deleted member 2755

Disagree. The gimmick itself is very deceptive. You can perform this trick very close up. I've performed it just a few inches from people's faces. Have you performed Riot yet? Also, Riot is not an effect on its own. In reality, its a good ACR ender. You can check out my reviewhere. Gotta say, I disagree with this review.

-Doug

J

J:G

Disagree. The gimmick itself is very deceptive. You can perform this trick very close up. I've performed it just a few inches from people's faces. Have you performed Riot yet? Also, Riot is not an effect on its own. In reality, its a good ACR ender. You can check out my reviewhere. Gotta say, I disagree with this review.

-Doug

i totoly agree with you dude i think riot is awsome!:D:):D
and your right its not the best stand alone but it works great with an acr

May 4, 2009
Is this a good one for a beginner? So far I've downloaded and watched color change and schwing. I've been practicing color change for a few days and getting decent at it. Schwing to me, is much much harder. I can't really do that one at all.

Does this require serious card manipulation skills, or does the gimmick do a lot of the work for you?

Thanks,

Jan 28, 2009
The Gimmick does a lot of the work for you, but you need to manage the angles very carefully.

Personally I've used Fallen and Shifty and had similarly good reactions and they're both impromptu, and both have similar angle issues, but are totally managable also.

I'm all for gimmicks, if they add something to the proceedings, but for me this just doesn't wash. It makes the effect easy but it doesn't make it possible.

I mean don't get me wrong, this is alright, but it does definately look better on Camera than it does in the flesh, (like so much magic) and you do need to tweak the gimmick to get the best out of it.

So basically its a nifty little effect, and its well taught, and I have used it, but really, this isn't an effect I perform a lot, not because I don't think it works, or because I haven't had good reactions, but just because I don't enjoy performing it, and it imo isn't any more visual than Fallen, or Shifty, or Riser and they are impromptu.

Apr 15, 2009
So which do you think is best, Fallen, Shifty, or Riser? I have shifty but am finding it kinda knacky at the moment..... Is Fallen or Riser easier would you say?

Thanks

Matt

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Riser is by far the most difficult. A lot of people don't like Fallen, but I actually don't think it's bad at all. My personal favourite though would be Futagawa's variation on the elevator move, quite similar to Shifty. But it's mostly up to preference. I pretty much agree with what OCW said about Riot, though.

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
I don't see it being used as an ender for a acr first because of the gimmick which consumes alot of space and makes the deck look bigger than it is ... second the set up, you got to realize that people will be starring at your hands during your acr you would have to install a great deal of misdirection to enter the set up let alone do the effect .... and I am not pretty sure you can do this trick completely surrounded, to risky.... I have riot and I wouldn't recommended to anybody its not a worker's trick.

May 1, 2009
UK
Riot

I don't know about this one at all, i already have a similar effect i think i'll stick with the Angelo Humbug.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

-Doug

Wholeheartedly agree.

Gimmicks have always been apart of magic.Dont ever be afraid to use them. No one expects them. Just watch your angles and practice with someone you know will give you honest feedback.Like your folks or a very trusted friend cause then they'll tell you if you flashed or are gripping the cards in an awkward handling.

And yeah,as a standalone effect it makes absolutely no sense.
Whats the motivation of having it just go to the top? Then again that compromises the ACR...unless you have a damn good reason of why it rises and why they should care.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results