Routine...

Jul 19, 2008
i'm new to magic (about a few months....:D) i learned quite a few tricks and stuff. my problem is when someone asks me to do a trick after showing them one, i have a tendency to forget what trick (that i know) would be nice to do next. >.<

i need help......

Jul 19, 2008
im quite shy with my knowledge, but can you at least give me tips (or pointers) on how could you just chain a trick after a trick.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Practice. What i do is write down different idea's for routines that i feel flow well. then i practice them and see if they have good rhythm and build of of the last as well as seeming to have a good plot line. If they dont keep that list and trash the ones that dont work. As you find out what works better you can see patterns and begin focusing more on refining those routines and tricks to become the very best they can and work more and more on performance rather than the tricks themselves and the routine. its all about practice and organization

for example, if your opener requires a signed card, it would be a good example to follow it with a trick that may be more powerful but also requires a signed card. or a coin to deck transpo is a good way to segqay between genre's. I thing i sometimes do is will have a signed card trick early on. Then later on mention we need a signed card and almost like "MAGIC" find there first signed card by shooting it out of the deck and make a comment like "oh yeah we already one". Its a good way to make them remember it is a routine not a collection of tricks. Makes it a cohesive whole.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
First up, welcome to the forum dude, hope you enjoy your stay here.

As just startin out, you need to find your influences in magic, your favourate performers, favourate type of effects etc. Watch them, study them, maybe adapt some for yourself. Like mentioned, practice, but importantly go out there and put the practice to use. Evaluate your tricks, your performance - if you are forgetful, right them down afterwards (though it may be a long process while you still pumped up to perform more - always happens to me). Its very good you have a few tricks down, all i want to say to you is constantly perform them, its alright if you cant routine just yet, "not so fast kaiba", but aim to be able to do two (short) effects as a routine.

It will take time though, cuz its easy for you to get into the stage of performing tricks, learning tricks, practicing these new tricks and performing them, then a lot of old tricks will pile up and you could forget about them - BUT if you are not that kinda person, then you should be proud.

Have a sharp mind, be on your guard. I was watching the demo of Silver Dream (Justin Miller) and noticed something on his performance. He was doing that coin routine for about 5 people (?), the woman right next to JM didnt have any reactions at all at the first two coin vanishes, UNTIL he got her involved within the trick, from then on she was a different speectator. Which got me thinking, if i was performing for a group, i would have tamed my nerves (i rarely have any now with all these years of performing for real people constantly), but i know i wont be mindful of my surroundings. If you begin to be mindful of your surroundings (when you perform) (even when you aint), many doors open to your senses. Which can be applied to many things, in performing magic can help act as a mirror for yourself.

Maybe going a lil off topic here but, on the same line so - anyway. Evaluate yourself and tricks. Which will lead on to further discussions of character building on various forums like Penguin Magic, Ellusionist and even here. So happy soul searching. This will help you link tricks you think have no relation to each other in the future, to your style and handling.

For now though, because you are new and all, never give up performing, you improve each time you do, set a theme for the tricks you do, maybe things will come your way. Learn tricks of similar theme or mood.

Its helpful though to have someone there while you perform, then you can have another perspectical evaluation, which is a plus. Like the time i performed Overkill for this woman who ended up ready for more magic, she had the adrenaline of amazement, only bad thing was i didnt know how to use it, in actual i didnt recognise it properly. After we both performed for her, he told me that Overkill could have lead me to perform Bad Influence, or Role Play (all DM effects) afterwards, as it sets the theme and expands the amazement she felt. Just a thought though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results