Saturday Night Contest : Challenge Yourself

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
::: Watch the Video First :::

In a week themed by personal endurance and overcoming obstacles (David Blaine's record breathhold stunt on Wednesday), we wanted to step outside the norm for this week's SNC. In addition, we've been reading a lot of feedback from members, both in and out of the forums.

Just three days ago I remember speaking with Wayne via phone. He was in the car, on the way to the theater to prep for his shows this weekend (the last of which is tonight). The show format is entirely different from what he's used to-- Wayne is splitting the show up between live music (a band and singer with a solid following) and live magic. Very different.

I asked him if they're all set for the show. His response: "I have no idea." But he was confident in not knowing. He was confident enough to step outside of his comfort zone to test the waters, and see what happens. He was confident in knowing that just sometimes, when you take a chance, something great happens.

Last night I spoke with him after the first show ended, and I asked how it went. He said "it felt amazing." The format worked. They had a great time.

This week's SNC asks you to do the same. No, you don't have to do a music and magic show. We're asking you to challenge yourself to do something with your magic (or flourishing) that you wouldn't normally do.

If you don't normally perform, challenge yourself to perform everyday for a week. Videotape it - show us the goods. If you don't normally perform coin magic, learn a coin effect well, and perform it. If you want to learn flourishing but don't yet know the difference between a Charlier and the Molecule 7000 XYZ Split Reduction cut, start learning it this week, and make your first flourishing video. The possibilities are endless.

Proposals for what you plan to do must be posted in this thread before 11:00pm EST tonight. Whatever idea you post - and take your time in thinking about it - is the one you have to stick to. No winners will be selected tonight. You have one week to complete your personal goal. Next Saturday at 7:30pm EST, a new post will be created by theory11 crew with instructions on how to submit your results, whether that be in picture form, video (would be amazing), or just a well written description of what you did and why.

Results will be judged next week based entirely on which submission stands out the most to us - which is the most impactful. We're not judging your performance skills - we're judging which submission stands above the rest in the minds of our judging panel.

It goes without saying that all submissions should be magic or flourishing related, and all submissions must be entirely safe, of course legal, and family friendly. What's the prize? What's up for grabs? One of the Split Spade decks utilized by Dan and Dave in production of the David Blaine Split Spade Preview Video, and a signed deck of brown Wynn's.

Good luck. Have fun. And challenge yourself.

I'm going to learn backpalming productions (help me...) or do flourishing. Can't think of much else and this will drive me to the limit as it is. Hope everyone has fun doing this...I'll be sweating and bleeding the whole week lol

Edit: Just read had to be safe, so no '3 bags wit one knife under' performances...good cause they'd win :p

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
Um, I'll probably make my first ever flourishing video. I don't normally record myself doing flourishes. Wait, I'll do flourishes blindfolded, while chewing gum, And blancing a glass on my head. And I WILL do my homwork this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
???
This is actually rather a nice competition, something to advance ourselves. Anywho on with my personal goal for the week.

I normally perform standard card magic, along with a few gimmicked routines such as Third Degree Burn and Misled. Card magic is my main basing with a most of my magic based upon my sleight of hand.

This week I propose to delve into the realms of Mentalism. I am a huge Derren Brown fan, even appearing on one of his soon to be aired Trick Or Treat shows (minor part only though!).
For me Mentalism takes magic to a new level. Somewhere between the believable and the unbelievable, with a nice balance that can really leave a spectator wondering what happened and whether or not what they viewed was real.

Thus my challenge is to put into practice what I've been learning in Mentalism, and go for the week without cards, only using pens, paper and my mind. I have some routines and ideas ready, with plenty of practice but no performance time.

Guess it's time to take the dive and go cardless and gimmickless for the week, relying on nothing bar my mind and mouth. Wish me well!

Apr 22, 2008
I'll make a flourishing video .... i can barely do a one handed revolution but ... ill make a flourishing video.

Thank You guys for this opportunity even tho if i don't win the contest I'll win experience and i will enjoy doing flourishes.

this should be interesting, i think ill be learning some crazy hackey sack sort of flourishing, or something on that road, ill have to work my ass off to get it as with hackeys the cards dont always go the way you wnat them

Nov 17, 2007
Would it be okay if we set more than 1 goal for ourselves? I have 2 in mind and can't decide which one to pick.

Nov 26, 2007
I am going to go out for the first time and try pickpocket magic, i have been thinking about it for a while but have only done it on my inflatable mannequin whom i have affectionately named Reginald. I am going to see Derren Browns new live show on Tuesday if the opportunity presents its self i shall attempt this on him ha! i am almost definatly gonna get punched in the face, i just know it

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
For the longest time, I have been afraid to get up in front of people and do speeches in class or approach people to show them a trick. So to sum it up, I have a bad case of stage fright, I am the kid in the back right corner of the classroom with his hood on hoping that the teacher doesn't call him up to the front of the class.

Up until recently, I usually have kept my magic to myself, family and my peers at school and I am now going to attempt to conquer my fear. This Sunday (tomorrow), there is a close up competition which is being hosted by the IBM and is taking place at Club Paradiso. The competition has been advertised in newspapers, on the news, and those free newspapers that people hand out at the corners in the morning on your way to school.

So my goal is to get up in front of 60-70 people and perform my heart out Sunday (tomorrow) and show them something they have never seen.

Calgary Magic Circle 2008 - Regional Closeup Magic Competition

Event: CMC Close-Up Magic Competition
Date: May 4, 2008
Time: contestants must arrive at 1:30pm, show begins at 2pm
Location: Club Paradiso (1413 - 9 Ave SE, upstairs of Village Cantina)
Judging: Your performance will be scored by 6 judges; 3 judges will score you on your technical performance, and 3 non-magician judges will score you on the entertainment value of your performance.

Prizes: The following prizes will be awarded (subject to a minimum of 5 entries in each category):

Gold Medal Close-Up Champion: $100 Gift Certificate*
Silver Medal Close-Up Champion: $50 Gift Certificate*
Bronze Medal Close-Up Champion: $25 Gift Certificate*
Gold Medal Junior >13 Category: $25 Gift Certificate*
Gold Medal Junior <13 Category: $25 Gift Certificate*
Note the gift certificate is only negotiatable at the Vanishing Rabbit Magic Shop.

Rules:

Each performance must be a minimum of 5 minutes long, and a maximum of 7 minutes; points will be docked for going over or under the time limitations.
Performances must be family-friendly; profanity and inappropriate material may result in disqualification
Performers must arrive by 1:30pm on the day of performance, and be set-up and ready to perform by 2pm.
Registering: To register as a competitor, send an email to info@calgarymagic.com with your name, phone #, and a brief description of your close-up magic act. The deadline for registration is April 29, 2008. Cost of Registration can be paid online or at the Vanishing Rabbit Magic Shop;

Oct 19, 2007
this week im going to do sponge ball magic the reason i chose this is because first of i never preform it even for my friends let alone strangers so this week or tonight lol im going to get some one i never talk to like maybe one of my uncles friends or something and preform for this. I hope everyone likes my performance and enjoys it because I will.

For this challenge (if I get the time that is, no promises) I will attempt to perform a genre of magic I'm not quite use to.

That is coin magic. I'm going to practice a few simple coin effects, UniCoin, Mulberry, etc. I will then attempt to perform them in a close-up situation.

I will try to video tape my practicing habits and my actual performance. Hopefully this will go as well as I've planned it out inside my head.

That is my proposal,
-RA69

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
For my challenge, I am going to put together an entire stage manipulation routine (flipstick, multiplying balls, and cigarettes to be exact) and film it. This is something I've always wanted to do and now I have an excuse to get off my butt and do it.

Oct 30, 2007
Slovenia,Ljubljana
I am going to do Street Magic. I perform magic but only in close-up situations or at home and maybe for some friends. But never to strangers. This contest gave me the opportunity to do this. Ain't going to film it tho but make some pictures of the progress and the performances. This is going to be one of the most important experiences in my magic progress. Can't wait next week.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results