Shin Lim- At the table

Feb 18, 2014
Hey everyone! Im a huge fan of shin lim's! I have all of his products except for iconic and iclear just because I don't have an iphone. In order to complete my collection, I was considering getting his lecture, plus I am a huge card magic guy. If anyone has it I have a couple of questions, For the thing with the tic tac and the card, is it the same method in the vanishing? If so, please PM Me or just post it because Im taking every little thing into consideration, and if you have the vanishing you know why I dont use it. Also, I heard he is teaching his 52 shades? What else does he teach that he didn't in the dvd? will he be teaching the transpo with the bag? Could somebody possible post an in-depth review, I don't want to pay for a lecture that has most of his stuff as i already own all of his products except for the two stated above, thanks!

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
I would get it because he is showing his FISM act for the first time and is explaining some of it and there are some effects which he is teaching at this lecture only and won't be released elsewhere. Other than that he also goes into his philosophy and theory on magic which is insanely awesome. All in all it's his best lecture yet.

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
Just don't make it dependent on whether he teaches stuff you already know because in most cases there are a ton of new ideas and updates with regards to that effect. If you get it I know you're going to love it.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The method for the Tic -Tac is an extension of the "Switch". This is probably the best thing on the lecture.

A good portion of the magic is not taught. He performs both Fism acts of his and doesn't go into every detail of the first and doesn't touch on the other at all..

He teaches his version of a flap card which is very creative but I can't see it being practical for most magicians.

He covers some sleight of hand stuff but it seems like he glazes over a lot of details, making it harder to duplicate than you might expect.

If I was to get a card magic lecture from Murphy's I would prefer John Gustafero's or Alex Pandrea's. Both teach more practical magic in a more clear way.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Here's a full review of John's lecture

John Gustaferro looks like such a nice unassuming guy but his magic uses devious methods and he has some wonderful touches. The magic here is very card heavy but you get a handful of different types of tricks. They are not all pick a card find a card tricks rather you get a twisting the aces routine, a gambling routine, some in the hands magic and a multiple card find all in one place. It’s card heavy but there are some cool touches on effects with straws and rings as well, check them out below.

In the Dog House: A card is selected, 2 Jokers are placed in the box, the card turns over in the deck, it changes into the 2 jokers and ends up in the box. What a fun way to do a card to box, there are a couple silly jokes here that work together with the premise of the cards being some sort of dog. This only requires a table a box and an ungimmicked deck.

Club Sandwich: Two selections are chosen and found one at a time in between the 2 jokers and at the end they change positions. This is a classic of John G’s and is a nice sandwich routine with a nice kicker ending. I don’t love sandwich routines but this is nice.

Dr. Daley With Selections: The 2 Jokers and selections change places while in the spectators hands. This is a basic handling of the classic effect, nothing is super new here besides the routine in which it takes place. John performs In the Dog House, Club Sandwich and Dr. Daley’s Last Trick all in one seamlessly woven together to make 5 minutes of solid magic.

6 Card Charlie: This is a fooler! The deck is clearly mixed by you and the spectators. It is shuffled like crazy. A spectator is then able to deal exactly 20 in a game of blackjack and a straight in a game of poker and of course all of it is predicted by the magician.

Little White Lie: 4 queens are given to a spectator mixed up and one is chosen. They continue to mix them up and the magician is able to predict which card would be chosen. He then makes all of the cards turn blank. John has a few versions of this out there and he teaches the most complex version on this lecture. He shows how to make a gimmicked wallet that switches out gaffed cards and your prediction, and he uses black cards. He mentions that you could do this with a regular deck as well without a problem. It is generous of him to show the complex one because it is very easy to simplify.

Spectral: A card is selected and lost in a small packet, it vanishes and the spectator choses where it will reapear in a ribbon spread. This is similar in presentation to the classic Biddle trick. This is based on an effect by John Carey and John G. shows how he has added that one degree difference which he has got so famous for. It is fun to see how all the pieces come together to make a very magical effect.

Ballett Cut: A simple flourishy false cut. After learning it I have been surprised at how good it looks. It is a super simple 2 packet cut that can be performed at any time without a table and retains the whole order of the deck. John goes over a few applications including using it as a force, a production and a control.

Proximity Peak Control: You get a spectator peak, have a few people shuffle the cards and you are able to know the identity and location of that card. This is a nice thought, the handling and choreography needs to be fairly specific in order to pull it off, but it is not very difficult and gets a lot done.

Zen Bend: A straw held by the finger and thumb bends. This is probably best for a casual performance given the set up. All it requires is a straw with or without the wrapper on,

Ring on Straw: With the wave of a straw a ring magically appears in the magicians hand. The straw then vanished appearing behind the ear (just like in the classic gag) and the ring visually penetrates the center of the straw. This is a very natural routine, if you wear a ring then it could be a very strong impromptu piece.

Clifton’s Ring Transpo: The spectator’s ring is threaded onto a string, it melts through the string and changes into the magicians ring. It is then revealed that the magician is wearing the spectators ring. This is a quick ungimmicked addition to a ring on string routine using an updated version of a classic move.

Ring on Necklace: The magician makes an impromptu necklace using a shoelace or string, he then pops a borrowed ring onto the necklace worn by the spectator. This is a fun piece that leaves the spectator with an impossible object and a great souvenir. It is surprisingly easy as well.

Stress Test: A card that you buy in a novelty shop to measure stress is held by the spectator they then select a card and the stress test has morphed to match the card. John makes these cards specifically and has an extra kisker included on his but you can use your own if you find a card that changes color according to your mood. The way that he controls which card is selected is very cool, and you just need a table.

Color Blind: The spectator names a color and the magician cuts to an ace of that color, he cuts to another and the aces change color.

Tail Spin: The spectator names a four of a kind and those cards slowly turn over just like in the classic twisting the aces routine, they then turn into all double backers and then into the aces. They are handed to the spectator and they change to his original selected four of a kind. There’s nothing too difficult about this routine and with fairly little skill you get a handful of magical moments.

Hide and Seek: The jacks are hidden in a handful of different places all chosen by the spectator with one in the spectator's pocket. It’s kind of a version of open travellers where all 4 jacks switch places with the aces. It does require some minor audience management but it isn’t incredibly difficult to do.

Multimental: In this version 6 cards are selected and as they are found the magician is able to name them right before they produce them. The great part about this is that there is no memorization and no forcing of the cards, so you can do a part mental part magic routine that you can do just about anywhere from a shuffled deck.

So on this download you learn a ton of new magic that can be performed in any venue. Like I said before the card effects are very diverse and you learn about various different plots with a deck of cards. This has been one of my favorite lectures.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Here's a review of Alex's lecture. I haven't got a chance to break down Shin Lim's completely yet.

Alex Pandrea is world renowned for being one of the best sleight of hand magicians in the world. He can do things with cards that nobody else on earth can do. I thought that I was going to watch this and walk away with nothing but an entertaining 2 hours but instead I walked away with tons of great magic suitable for almost all skill levels. If you are just starting out there is stuff for you, and if you like flourishy move monkey material then there is stuff for you too. I?ll walk through the tricks, just keep in mind that there are tons of thoughts and stories shared inbetween.

Domino Effect (Performance Only): This is a teaser for a new effect that Alex recently put out. This is like a copper silver transpo performed with sugar packets. One is held by the spectator and the other by the magician. With a wave they visually change places. No explanation is provided for this effect.

Arson: This is a worker and so much magic happens in so little time. Basically a card is selected and found with the help of a lighter. In detail a card is selected, a lighter vanishes, they go through the deck and the selection now has a burn mark on it, with a pop the lighter falls out of the playing card leaving the card completely un burnt. You can then reveal another selection on the warning label of the lighter. This is such a great routine, so much magic happens in just a silly pick a card trick and it is very easy to do. He combines some classic Jay Sankey, Kostya Kimlat and Daniel Garcia ideas to accomplish a complete routine. There are some aspects of this that aren?t original but all together it is very complete. The reset is almost instant and for anyone who is moderately good with cards you?ll probably be able to reset in front of an audience. This is also available on DVD for $25.00, it is almost worth the price of the whole lecture.

Gambling Problem: This is a fun piece of mental magic where a card is selected and a location is named you then open up your wallet and show that you have a card from the named location inside, your prediction matches perfectly. This is a slick piece of magic using a himber wallet and a couple other gaffs. It could definitely be a worker as it is basically all contained in the wallet, it?s not too difficult, it tells a nice story and it resets immediately.

As part of this trick he teaches some tips on the classic force. I?ve heard a lot of tips on the classic force but Alex shared a couple things I have never heard before and definitely help me. Of course you don?t need to use the classic force in the trick above.

Elimin-ace: An ace is put aside at the beginning and a card is named the ace then turns into their card. This is not incredibly difficult to do, you will need a table but you learn a super cool switch that allows the trick to work. The way that Alex performs this is very entertaining and with any luck you will be able to translate that to your own performance. This is not self working but it is not a difficult routine to do.

Mystery Card: A card is shown to have a different back then the rest of the deck, another card is selected and signed with a little bit of magic that mystery card becomes the selected signed card. This is very similar in effect to Daniel Garcia?s effect William Tell. It is completely different in method though.

This all relies on a move caller T.O.P. which is an ingenious force and top control. The applications for this type of move are endless. This was originally sold as an $8 download and you get it here in the lecture.

2 Card Reset: This is a tough flourishy mix between Reset and Dr. Daley?s last trick. This was one of my least favorite routines in the lecture. It is definitely for the hardcore card guys. It looks great in Alex?s hands but I can?t see myself doing this.

5 Moves in 5 Minutes

If you are not aware Alex Pandrea is one of the most talented card guys in the world. This section concentrates on 5 Advanced card moves and ideas.

Spring Control: In the process of springing the cards a selection is controlled to the top of the deck. This looks very nice, it is very simple method wise but not easy to do. It has similar angle consideration to a side steal, of course this is completely performed in the hands..

DPS: This is a quick flourishy cut that in-jogs a card in one fluid motion. This is a flourish so it won't be for everyone but it is a funky way to in-jog a card. No real angle problems here that you wouldn?t get from your basic in-jog, also you don?t need a table.

Palm to Palm Transfer: This is a nice idea that provides motivation for a hand washing technique that takes a card from full palm to a cop position. You need to wear a ring in this.

Second Deal Control: This is a great way to structure an ?out of the hands? control. It looks like everything happens on the table. He covers the second deal here and teaches it just fine. This trick fooled Eric Jones in rehearsal.

2 Card Transpo: This is a ?cute? (as Alex calls it) 2 card transpo without any dupes or set up. This is not quite strong enough to perform alone but it is a good trick to do after a couple other transpo effects.

4 Quarter Bill Switch: This is Magick Balay?s bill switch which Alex uses as an icebreaker. His tips on using this as an opener are great, and the bill switch itself is outstanding. If you already use the hundred dollar bill switch then this is probably not for you, personally I have had problems learning the classic switch and found this to be much easier. This can also be performed very quickly, it is so fast that they repeatedly say that you can perform this surrounded. I wouldn?t suggest you try that, at least not with my thumb tip. It is very good though and is available separately on DVD for $25.

The last section covers Alex?s version of the ambitious card. His version has 3 phases and is almost completely performed in the spectator?s hands. His philosophy is definitely different to most magicians in this effect and his approach is very powerful. He goes over the Brick Pass and the turnover pass. briefly and explains where he thinks they work best. He sells a DVD teaching this for $18 on the Blue Crown and you get it along with this excellent lecture.

Besides the effects you get a ton of Alex?s ideas, personal stories and approaches to magic. He was really fun to watch and very talented. There is something here for just about any close up magician and if you went out and purchased all of the DVD?s that it would take to learn this material you would have to spend at least 3 times as much as this lecture.

Feb 18, 2014
thanks so much! I have alex's lecture! I loved it!!! I didnt have john's I might just buy both of them! Thank you all for your help! This is such a great community :)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Shin Lim is a young guy that has really drummed up a name for himself among the competition circuit or young magicians he has already made a name for himself. During this lecture you learn some of Lim?s classic magic as well as a handful of new ideas.

FISM Act #1: I believe this is Lim?s act titled 52 shades of Red. Later in the lecture he explains most of the act, not play by play but you get the main idea. This act looks nice on camera, which is what it was designed for, but it may have some difficulties when performed close up or live. At one point he uses his SSS smoke gimmick, he does not explain it. Most of the deck is gimmicked in some way and you learn most of the various techniques Lim uses to gimmick it up.

F*** Cards: Shin?s version of this classic gimmick is solid and deceptive on stage. He warns against using this in a close up situation but after you put the work into making the gimmick you have an almost self working color changing card that could be used on stage.

Tips and Tricks on Silent Acts: Lim covers various tips and the theory behind his competition acts. He explains some of the history behind his competition acts as well.

Twirl Change Variation: This is a variation inspired by Kevin Ho on the classic change. It cleans up and fixes some problems with the actual classic version of the change.

Thoughts on B**** A**: This concept has been used on stage by many but Shil Lim has applied this to a closeup performance. He covers a handful of vanishes and appearances using this concept. Some of the moves used here could be applied to an act with a normal deck of cards.

Gimmicked Vanish: Using some very cool technology you are able to make a card vanish cleanly or perform an impossible tabled color change. You will need to perform some heavy duty arts and crafts to make the gimmicks but Lim has some great applications throughout the lecture using this item.

Tic Tac Box: This is a very cool prediction trick, similar in effect to David Regal?s clarity box. A card is folded up in a Tic Tac box from the beginning, a card is chosen signed and vanished. It is then found to be the card in the Tic Tac box. This requires a lot of prep and is similar in method to Shin Lim?s Switch.

Coin Matrix: This is similar to the gimmicked vanish mentioned above. Shin uses the same method to vanish a coin. Personally I?m not a huge fan of this, on video it may work but I feel like a coin is too much to conceal using this method.

Ace Production: This is an easy, flourishy 4 ace production. There?s nothing outstanding here but it is a fine production. It works well routined with the 4 for 4 change and Shin Splint.

4 for 4 Change: The 4 aces are placed face up on the deck and with a wave of the hand they visually change into the 4 kings. This is a tough move with some angle sensitivity but when performed well it looks really nice. With a snap you can make the cards turn back into the aces if you?d like.

Shin Splint: This is a very visual, one handed twisting the aces routine that happens at the fingertips. It isn?t as easy as the classic routine but the tradeoff is worth it in many conditions. You can?t be completely surrounded but it is a great update to the classic.

Card Shintrol: This move was based on a color change, it has been changed to be used as a top control. This isn?t groundbreaking but it is a nice simple control that definitely gets the job done.

Reverse Snap Change: Shin has taken this to the next step. A card changes and changes back repeatedly. It is crazy difficult. I?m not sure how real world this change is but it looks really cool. He also uses it as a sandwich vanish.

Multiple Snap Change: Shin has become well known for his handling of the multiple snap change. He touches on a couple things and jams for a bit on the Snap Change but does not go into depth on the move.

Fism Act #2- The Dream Act (Performance Only): This is may be released at some point but he does not explain the routine in its entirety. Basically a card is selected and signed, and teleports to the magicians mouth. It is then placed in a bag and changes in the bag to another signed card. There is a fun bit with a Sharpie Marker as well as a card and deck transpo. It is all performed with a bunch of smoke effects and many magical, impossible moments.

To close up he covers a few pieces of theory as well as his tips on the mercury card fold.

Overall, you will get 2 basic types of magic here, very difficult magic and very gimmicked magic. I found a handful of things that got my mind going, but over all I was not a huge fan of the lecture. It seemed kind of unorganized and in a few spots I feel like he breezed through an explanation so quickly that it will be extra difficult to learn. I found that Lim?s style is very niche oriented and does not necessarily help out my style of magic. His teaching also left something to be desired.

CodyD

Elite Member
Dec 13, 2013
He doesn't teach the in the bag change, the tic tac card thing is way different the method in the vanishing and in my opinion, a lot better, and there's not really anything to go wrong. He teaches a lot of stuff he didn't teach on the 52 shades dvd that was on his performance act of it. He teaches some move monkey things (on shinanigans) and some other gimmicked color change stuff (flap cards that change more than once) I really enjoyed the lecture, but some of the stuff is very knacky and will take a lot of work, all the sleight of hand has been taught before except a control, I'd give the lecture 5/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 18, 2014
He doesn't teach the in the bag change, the tic tac card thing is way different the method in the vanishing and in my opinion, a lot better, and there's not really anything to go wrong. He teaches a lot of stuff he didn't teach on the 52 shades dvd that was on his performance act of it. He teaches some move monkey things (on shinanigans) and some other gimmicked color change stuff (flap cards that change more than once) I really enjoyed the lecture, but some of the stuff is very knacky and will take a lot of work, all the sleight of hand has been taught before except a control, I'd give the lecture 5/5

Thanks! I bought it and did a review on it! Thank you though! :)

As for the bag change I worked it out lol...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results