Show Stopper

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
I need a really good trick for a kid's show That I can use as the main effect of my show. It needs to be something that preferably has a volunteer and will be really memorable. I'm considering something along the lines of a production/vanish. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Other things need to be considered such as what your typical venue is like; living rooms & dining rooms are the most typical or outside on a patio. What kind of angles are you dealing with? Lighting?

The most common "big tricks" for this environment is the production of a Pet that the parents have prearranged; puppies, kitties, bunnies, etc. and so you need something that's versatile. I'd recommend a small double Tip-Over chest in that your angles are blocked by the outer cabinet and it's a generally decent "universal" piece to have in your arsenal because of the many ways it can be used.

Moving to the larger bits, the Jig Saw styled Spectator Sawing in Half is always great for kid's shows along with the Head Chopper or a Head Box routine like the Dagger Box or Arrow Cabinet. A Self-Contained Dancing Hank is likewise an excellent bit (also see http://seanbogunia.com/ultrahank.html)

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
The show will be for kids birthday parties and the showstopper will go 2nd to last. The final trick will be Dan Harlan's suckers sucker and end with a production of many suckers. The last set of trick, including the show stopper, will have the birthday kid involved. I need something where they can wave the magic wand and feel like they are doing the magic. Most of the time I will be outside but sometimes I will be in a living room.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
I saw a guy do a cups and balls routine where he gave each kid a wand and had them wave to do the magic. He had them surround the table and still managed to do everything up to and including a big load under his hat. A full routine with a surprise giant load plays really well to audiences about the size you're going to be dealing with, and the Cups can always be structured as a spectator-involved routine because it's really flexible. It does take some rehearsal, though, so short notice might not allow it, but for the future it's something to keep around. I try to use it as my finale when I can.

Oct 11, 2007
Miser's Dream has never failed me as being the best closer for a birthday party out there. I bring the birthday boy/girl up front and perform the whole routine with them and give them a 'special' silver dollar at the end.

Please give this a try and don't make things too complicated for yourself. It is an inexpensive effect and kids and parents both ABSOLUTELY love it. I would suggest buying Chris Capehart's DVD on the Miser's Dream. It is an adaptable routine and experience will show you that it contains an infinite number if possibilities.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results