Showmanship and Presentation

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I was screwing around the media section of this site, and I came across a video of someone named Dan Sperry performing his version of Saw. It literally didn't hit me until that moment that I realized how important it is to have great showmanship/presentation.

I've seen so many people perform Saw on youtube and other places, and I must say...this is the only one that was actually able to keep my interest. So, Dan, if you are lurking around here somewhere...keep up the great work, and I hope to see more footage of you performing at the Magic Castle!

Let me get to the point here...

Where on earth could I find a book (that is still in print, so I don't think any of Derren Brown's books are going to be so easy to find) that could help me in performance, presenation and showmanship?

Thank you,

Shane K.

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. I don't think it's out of print yet, but you better hurry. Darwin told me at his last lecture that it's going to be OOP relatively soon.

Best.
Steve

P.S. Also get Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz as well. That's the follow-up to Strong Magic, and it doesn't dissapoint.

Sep 1, 2007
I've heard the "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber is really good, but I don't have it. "Beyond Secrets" by Jay Sankey has some of that stuff in it, and it's relitively cheap. It's given me some great insight into magic in general.

Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms. A great "starting out book". But not all presentation and showmanship can be learned from books, a lot of it comes from pure, raw experience. How can you learn how to be yourself from a book? Simply get out there, perform a lot and it will start coming to you. Like every magician says,

"Practice, practice, practice"

Performing is practice, each performance will help you learn more about yourself as a performer. So get out there and perform to gain experience and valuable knowledge!

Mitchell

I'm going to second Steve's recommendation of Strong Magic. It is truly a one-stop place for everything about presentation and showmanship in magic. It's not filled with magic theory; it's filled with practical advice and methods to improve every aspect of your presentation.

I've got a couple of books on presentation and showmanship (Magic and Showmanship, Maximum Entertainment), but Strong Magic has definitely helped me the most.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Ah, thank you all so much.

From what it seems like, I'll definatly have to make a purchase for Strong Magic.

As far as the practice issue, I see where you're coming from. There are a lot of things that a magician/performer can learn by just laying it on the line and performing. I think I've got to find a comfortable situation with some of the effects that I have, and become better familiar with some of them so I can go out and perform.

Thanks again!

Shane K.

Aug 31, 2007
California
Ah, thank you all so much.

From what it seems like, I'll definatly have to make a purchase for Strong Magic.

As far as the practice issue, I see where you're coming from. There are a lot of things that a magician/performer can learn by just laying it on the line and performing. I think I've got to find a comfortable situation with some of the effects that I have, and become better familiar with some of them so I can go out and perform.

Thanks again!

Shane K.

Yes, yes you do. :)

I have read it... about 3 times now, and I still havn't gotten everything out of this book. I have spoken to Mr. Ortiz... Wow. Is the only word I can describe it as.

If you can, pick up Absolute Magic, by Mr. Derren Brown. An AMAZING read. I bought mine for 100$, which is a steal. I would buy it for triple if I had to.

I have yet to read it, but I havn't heard one bad thing about Designing Miracles by Ortiz. Great reviews have been written about it, and well, it is by the writer of Strong Magic, what more do you need to know?

Maximum Entertainment, yet again, a great read. It is written for magicians, and general entertainers (actors, etc.) so it writes up on other things, but it is always good to read up on everything in this book.

Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms, as Mitchell pointed out, is a great read. Pick it up as well!!!

Keenan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results