Silent Reactions?

Jan 22, 2012
Hey guys,

So I was performing tonight at my school's talent show and during the first two tricks the reactions were not like "HOLY COW! WHAT THAT WAS CRAZY! WITCHCRAFT!" etc. And I know I didn't perform them as well as I could but I know that were amazed because when I handed out the souvenir for examination after the trick, they were reacting then. So I'm curious to how I should handle the lack of reaction. Like when you perform one of those tricks where you after the audience is more confused by it to react. So how should I handle it?

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not sure I'm clear what you're looking for (which could be a product of sleep deprivation on my part), so let me just cover all the bases to play it safe.

If you're judging the quality of reactions by volume, you're doing it wrong. Energetic responses are nice ego boosters, but stunned silence is actually preferred by most mentalists and a lot of artistic performers. When words fail you, something big has happened more often than not.

Second, if they're confused, then you did something wrong. Wonder is not the same thing as being perplexed. The plot should be easy to follow, the entertainment comes from the mystery of not knowing. Confusion is the result of a puzzle, not art.

As for how to handle a silent reaction, wait. If they're silent, then they're taking it all in. Don't interrupt them with more noise, don't segue immediately into the next effect, don't do anything to derail their train of thought. When they're ready, they'll say or do something.

I keep bringing this up, but magicians need to understand when to stop talking. Silence is a powerful thing.

Apr 17, 2013
I keep bringing this up, but magicians need to understand when to stop talking. Silence is a powerful thing.

This is something I learned from my father who spent his life in radio. We don't need to fill every second we are talking or performing with sound. There is no need for umms and aahs or lips smacks.

As for the OP not everyone will react the same to magic something they are just silent

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results