Sleeper Performance Quandry

Jan 27, 2016
Chicago
Another problem I've been running into is that the gimmick is noticeable from 5-7 feet and if you're performing in front of someone who is eagle eyeing the deck they do point out that they see something in the deck. I do try to cover all exposed edges with my fingers, but I will still get called out for having something in the deck. Any suggestions?

Another problem I've been running into is that the gimmick is noticeable from 5-7 feet and if you're performing in front of someone who is eagle eyeing the deck they do point out that they see something in the deck. I do try to cover all exposed edges with my fingers, but I will still get called out for having something in the deck. Any suggestions?
Ah yes I was struggling with that issue as well when I showed it to a few of my magician friends and film producer. I will have a video review coming up soon and I lightly explain how I cover that up in the video. I'll have it posted as soon as I can and hopefully that will help you.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
A lot of the camouflage of any gimmick is a mix or both presentation and audience management. Like David said, if you perform the effect in a way that makes it seem as though it is a normal deck. I get the same question all the time when performing with a Svengali. "Don't people ask to see the cards?" Honestly I hardly ever get asked to see the deck because I perform it in a way that makes the deck just a small part of the trick (rather than making it THE TRICK.) Hope that makes sense?

You could always switch the deck out before handing it out, or make the climax to sleeper the lead in to another effect. They may not get the chance to ask to inspect the deck at all at this point. Hope it helps :)

A lot of the camouflage of any gimmick is a mix or both presentation and audience management. Like David said, if you perform the effect in a way that makes it seem as though it is a normal deck. I get the same question all the time when performing with a Svengali. "Don't people ask to see the cards?" Honestly I hardly ever get asked to see the deck because I perform it in a way that makes the deck just a small part of the trick (rather than making it THE TRICK.) Hope that makes sense?

You could always switch the deck out before handing it out, or make the climax to sleeper the lead in to another effect. They may not get the chance to ask to inspect the deck at all at this point. Hope it helps :)
I think his issue is actually in the gimmick itself. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Sleeper gimmick but it is extremely noticeable if you hand the deck to the spectator for the card to rise out of.

You are correct in that the performance can fix that. If the spectator isn't looking directly at the deck when it rises it could work. But the very nature of the performance is to have the audience hold the deck and watch the card rise and it's almost a dead give away to how it's done if people aren't sneaky about it. Luckily, when I performed it at a special needs camp, the child I handed the deck to had no idea what was going and actually made the card shoot straight out of the deck. I've come up with some ideas for it to work in the spectators hands and I'll share them in a video review of Sleeper that I will hopefully be posting soon.

Reactions: obrienmagic
Nov 12, 2008
Ireland
Sleeper can be kept invisible, it depends on how the deck is handled. If you want to square the deck: keep the gaff on the bottom of the deck. Retain the gaff on the bottom of the deck when shuffling, ribbon spreading, fanning etc.
When the gaff needs to go into the middle of the deck, shuffle it there, or multiple cut it there. But do not fully square the deck. Keep it loose. Dribbling the deck is another option.
The small steps caused by cutting or shuffling, hide the gaff. This is true for other gaffs, not just Sleeper.
Shuffling, cutting and keeping the deck in a loose condition adds to the overall impression that it's just a deck of cards.

Hope that helps!

Sleeper can be kept invisible, it depends on how the deck is handled. If you want to square the deck: keep the gaff on the bottom of the deck. Retain the gaff on the bottom of the deck when shuffling, ribbon spreading, fanning etc.
When the gaff needs to go into the middle of the deck, shuffle it there, or multiple cut it there. But do not fully square the deck. Keep it loose. Dribbling the deck is another option.
The small steps caused by cutting or shuffling, hide the gaff. This is true for other gaffs, not just Sleeper.
Shuffling, cutting and keeping the deck in a loose condition adds to the overall impression that it's just a deck of cards.

Hope that helps!
Great advice! Thank you for the insight. I've also noticed that using an old, wore in deck of cards also hides the gaff when it is in the middle of the deck. Thank you for such a great creation! It really helped make a kid's day when he thought he had made his selected card rise out of a deck in front of all his peers.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I think his issue is actually in the gimmick itself. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Sleeper gimmick but it is extremely noticeable if you hand the deck to the spectator for the card to rise out of.

You are correct in that the performance can fix that. If the spectator isn't looking directly at the deck when it rises it could work. But the very nature of the performance is to have the audience hold the deck and watch the card rise and it's almost a dead give away to how it's done if people aren't sneaky about it. Luckily, when I performed it at a special needs camp, the child I handed the deck to had no idea what was going and actually made the card shoot straight out of the deck. I've come up with some ideas for it to work in the spectators hands and I'll share them in a video review of Sleeper that I will hopefully be posting soon.

I am unfamiliar with the sleeper version. But as someone who has performed rising card hundreds of time (the old fashioned gimmick) I know that with some management you can hide the gimmick. Not sure about this sleeper though as I have not seen it performed live yet.

LawrenceR2

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2016
I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to handle people who want to inspect the deck afterwards.
I've palmed off the gimmick then handed them the deck. But I agree that using an older deck and not squaring the deck are better options to prevent it being noticed in the first place.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results