Sleeping Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh
So here's my view on the Sleeping Queen.

I'll start out by saying what turns me off.

The whole idea of the queen 'going to sleep' and then saying 'let's try to wake her up' idea didn't really appeal to me. There's not much to go by and it isn't very visual (it's such a small thing that's happening)

Now the good parts.

I think that the gimmick for this effect has a million possibilities. There is so many things you can do other than make a queen go to sleep. Dan Hauss could have found something a little more creative than that.

So I don't really like the whole sleeping queen effect itself but I'm glad I bought this because of all the possibilities behind the gimmick. I also like the gum tricks a lot as well. However, I'm more interested in developing the gimmick into my own ideas.

-Kevin

PS For everyone who is going to bash this effect even more into the ground, I have a question for you: What would your reaction be if Theory 11 released this trick? Clearly people aren't liking this trick simply because they hate Ellusionist. And if you do respond to this, "Theory 11 is far superior to E and would never have released this in the first place" is not an appropriate answer.

Aug 22, 2008
Originally posted by Guitarkid2023
PS For everyone who is going to bash this effect even more into the ground, I have a question for you: What would your reaction be if Theory 11 released this trick? Clearly people aren't liking this trick simply because they hate Ellusionist. And if you do respond to this, "Theory 11 is far superior to E and would never have released this in the first place" is not an appropriate answer.

From my personal perspective, I don't care who the distributor of a magic trick is. If the trick sucks it will still suck no matter who releases it.

As I have stated earlier, Ellusionist know that Sleeping Queen is a substandard effect, that is why they pushed it so hard with discounts and prize draws.

Only fan boys would change their opinion of the trick based on who released it.

My view is that Ellusionist are counting on this and that is why they are offering a prize to the person who comes up with a review that can be used in their product page for Sleeping Queen.

You know a trick is shoddy from the get-go when a distributor has to 'buy' positive reviews from its customer base. :p

The Gramercy Riff

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
From my personal perspective, I don't care who the distributor of a magic trick is. If the trick sucks it will still suck no matter who releases it.

As I have stated earlier, Ellusionist know that Sleeping Queen is a substandard effect, that is why they pushed it so hard with discounts and prize draws.

Only fan boys would change their opinion of the trick based on who released it.

My view is that Ellusionist are counting on this and that is why they are offering a prize to the person who comes up with a review that can be used in their product page for Sleeping Queen.

You know a trick is shoddy from the get-go when a distributor has to 'buy' positive reviews from its customer base. :p

The Gramercy Riff

It's amusing that whenever Steerpike offers an argument that actually has a logical basis, you completely ignore it, and try and accuse him and bash him - whatever it takes to avoid his point.

Seriously? Many many many E effects have been pushed with competitions. To generalise and say that all effects that have been released using marketing and competitions are lame is biased and quite frankly hypocritical - deciding an opinion based on method of release? Quite similar to hating a release based on distributor, actually. Oh, wait... Haven't all your posts here been bashing E? Your opinion of the trick has been governed all along by who released it...

I wouldn't mind if you had an opinion beyond assertion. Or if you actually engaged in previously offered arguments. But what do I know? I happen to disagree with you, so obviously I should be bashed as a fanboy. Wait... What was that you accused Steerpike of earlier? Pushing... Pushing your own opinion as fact? Hm.

So either the trick isn't shoddy for the reasons you have suggested, or you are being hypocritical through generalisation. Which is it?

Aug 22, 2008
Originally posted by praetoritevong
Seriously? Many many many E effects have been pushed with competitions. To generalise and say that all effects that have been released using marketing and competitions are lame is biased and quite frankly hypocritical - deciding an opinion based on method of release? Quite similar to hating a release based on distributor, actually. Oh, wait... Haven't all your posts here been bashing E? Your opinion of the trick has been governed all along by who released it...

Look sonny, you obviously know nothing about how marketing works, so why don't you just stop now...

As for bashing E, this thread just so happens to be a review of a product that E is distributing. I have already stated that the distributor of an effect is irrelevant to me and that SQ would still suck whomever released it. Try reading posts properly before spouting your mouth off, then you might actually be able to converse with a modicum of intelligence.

I wouldn't mind if you had an opinion beyond assertion. Or if you actually engaged in previously offered arguments. But what do I know? I happen to disagree with you, so obviously I should be bashed as a fanboy. Wait... What was that you accused Steerpike of earlier? Pushing... Pushing your own opinion as fact? Hm.

With this poorly thought out statement, you are presuming I have no empirical knowledge to my arguments. In this context alone, it is you who is being hypocritical sonny, but don't worry I am not angry at you - I will just give you a pat on the back for trying to write a coherent sentence. :p

The Gramercy Riff

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Evidently, a thesaurus and the attempt to write in a disparaging manner makes you feel superior. Good luck with that. I'm not your sonny, and I don't particularly care for your weak attempt to demean me. I find that I don't need such failed insults to boost my ego. Or my argument.

As for your argument, of which there was very little... I realise that you have already stated that the distributor is irrelevant - which makes your quoted post simply all the more hypocritical. Try reading your own posts before sprouting your mouth off, you might find less hypocrisy streaming from your mouth. Again, the only thing you have over me is that you have a thesaurus to try and insult me "intelligently". Modicum of intelligence my ass. It is clear you are simply bashing for the purposes of bashing and not actually arguing an argument.

I do not presume you have no empirical knowledge to your arguments - that would imply that you actually had knowledge of your arguments. I still do not understand how the post is hypocritical - nice try... Sonny... The only consistency in your post is the continuing attempt to patronise me. Since I know my sentences are coherent, the only difference between ours is that yours carries no logical intelligence. Keep patting my back, by all means. I have an itch there, and his name is The Gramercy Riff.

May 19, 2008
manchester
sorry, its only a magic trick... Im not an "E fan boy" heres something steerpike once write on a thread

"some people are mysterious because they dont tell you anything, some people are mysterious because they dont know anything" or its something like that....

I still do not understand how the post is hypocritical

I rest my case!

why dont you actually tell him how its hyprocitical instead of "I rest my case", he doesnt understand what your going on about, stop being high and mighty tell and tell him what your going on about? or are yolu going to ignore that because even you are not sure what your going on about.
As for your argument, of which there was very little...

"Don't blame me if the concept of a logo-centristic argument went above your head".

ahhh so you know some fancy words, why dont you just tell someone what you mean, instead of using you "education" to insult people who might of not finished their education.

Its called an education son, and judging by the plight of your desperate attempt to retort, yours is clearly lacking.

Just like Steerpike before you, I have evidently touched on a sensitive nerve.

Cry me a river!

ahhh so because someone is talking in a launguage (sp.) that everyone understands you then decide to insult someone with some fancy words that half the people on here dont understand. your calling him son, is that because you want to feel higher than him? or have I just been hypocritical?

Nov 23, 2007
NC
This thread is going in a bigger circles than a NASCAR track do to the personal attacks. Cant you guys pm each other with the constant bickering.

Aug 5, 2008
Although I do agree the price for SQ was a bit too much, I think that it's definitely worth more than US$10, for it is after all a new principle in card magic. What PCP and Ellusionist could have done, however, was to provide further examples of how else this principle can be applied instead of what was suggested (ie, making the Queen sleep, vanishing a King's sword, etc).

I would classify Hauss in the same category as Houchin, although we have all yet to see enough from the former to be able to fairly judge and make comparisons between the two. Both artistes are (as of now) recognised for creating hard-hitting, visual, "oh-my-god" effects that can be executed with methods simple enough for even amateur magicians like me to achieve.

Perhaps it is that I am not skilled enough, but I find it quite a task to remove the little "add-on" to achieve the illusion of the Queen's eyes slowly opening without arousing suspicion. It's supposed to look like one is waving his hand over her, but I've done this in front of a mirror, and it sadly looks like exactly what i'm doing - rubbing it off.

I hope that the thread can serve the purpose of what it was first created for. Any opinions, anyone?

Aug 22, 2008
Originally posted by blahblah
sorry, its only a magic trick... Im not an "E fan boy" heres something steerpike once write on a thread

"some people are mysterious because they dont tell you anything, some people are mysterious because they dont know anything" or its something like that....

If Steerpike actually wrote that, then he is misquoting Socrates.

he doesnt understand what your going on about, stop being high and mighty tell and tell him what your going on about? or are yolu going to ignore that because even you are not sure what your going on about.

I am in no doubt that he does not understand me. In fact, I am not sure he even understands himself let alone me.

As for explaining things, I simply cannot be bothered. If he or anybody else cannot grasp the simple premise of my argument, then it would be like trying to teach mathematics to a dog - a complete waste of time and effort.

ahhh so you know some fancy words, why dont you just tell someone what you mean, instead of using you "education" to insult people who might of not finished their education.

See above.

Additionally, Maybe some people should actually finish their education first before trying to bash me on this thread. Otherwise, the consequences of such an endeavour will be inevitably messy for those folly enough to attempt it.

your calling him son, is that because you want to feel higher than him? or have I just been hypocritical?

This statement does not even make sense.

Try again! :p

Originally posted by Flyspazz
This thread is going in a bigger circles than a NASCAR track do to the personal attacks. Cant you guys pm each other with the constant bickering.

I couldn't agree more! Lets get this thread back on topic.

Quite frankly, I am bored with trying to explain basic English to the insane. :p

The Gramercy Riff

Sep 1, 2007
If Steerpike actually wrote that, then he is misquoting Socrates.

Actually, I was quoting a comedian whom I particularly like.

Not that it matters, as you continue to routinely ignore each and every point I've made in favor of attacking me or someone else. And I somehow doubt that's going to change.

Of course, there is an easy way to prove me wrong about that...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Its called an education son, and judging by the plight of your desperate attempt to retort, yours is clearly lacking.

Just like Steerpike before you, I have evidently touched on a sensitive nerve. :)

Cry me a river! :p

It is called an education, might I suggest you look into one? Judging by your inability to rise above petty insults, covering the inability to justify yourself, that - oh wait, you insulted me? I don't really give a crap, lol! Keep trying, Buster. I'm almost crying in laughter though. :rolleyes:

Don't blame me if the concept of a logo-centristic argument went above your head.

I rest my case!

The Gramercy Riff
Sorry, you seem to have mistaken ill-advised assertion for a case? Again you fail to actually engage with any argument, back it up with logic, or justify yourself with anything but insults. Your argument didn't reach my head, it sailed out of your mouth to crash and burn a fair distance short. It's funny, you seem articulate enough, just incoherent perhaps is a better term. Enough with the thesaurus though man seriously, it's not good for you. You can't articulate because you have failed to provide a point to articulate. I mean, I understand your need to seem intelligent, and have a way to compensate, but being unnecessarily verbose for the verisimilitude of intelligence is tantamount to engaging with the vicissitudes of idiocy and ignominious ignorance.

I don't blame you for being inarticulate though, it's probably not your fault. ;) I'm sure mummy still loves you Buster.

And yet you continue to yap without backing up anything you say. Oh! We wont understand you say? Then why bother posting in the first place?

Now come and tell me I'm stupid, father!

PS- You misspelled petulant, and bad ass is two separate words. And I thought you were educated! (I touched up your quote.)

Jul 15, 2008
The thing you have to realize with Steerpike is that he's an arrogant, hypocritical narcissist who hates everyone.

You can't beat him in an argument, because he accuses you of everything that he does wrong and when you ask him to respond to an argument, he shrugs it off by saying: "Not worth explaining to somebody of your intellectual lackness" or saying: "I have been repeatedly saying it, you just weren't listening" or some random thing like that.

And the worst part is, when you point out this fact, he just goes: "Yep, it's true. At least I admit it."

I remember asking him in a post: "Why haven't they banned you already?"
He simply said: "They have."

and I was stumped.

Oh, and by the way... I'm pretty sure that he hates that Sleeping Queen trick too... He's just posting for the sake of turning us all against each other in his diabolical 666 scheme to end the world. In fact, he might even be.... BNX himself!

D

Deleted member 2755

Ok guys. I said earlier in the thread how it would turn out and I was correct. It's amazing how immature people can be sometimes on this site.

Please respect those around you as back and forth bashing is just immature...

-Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results