Sleeping Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh
You know it's okay for you guys to have your own opinion on things, but bashing Steerpike in the ways you just have are not going to help you in anyway. You think just because he's an E moderator makes him full of himself. Thus you try to make him look bad which ends up blowing up in your face because you find that he is a lot more intelligent than you think.

You people think that the E forums is all about crazy fanboys ranting all over the place. Have you looked around on these forums? It's worse that E. In fact I often find myself on those forums looking for something refreshing without having to deal with the craziness on this forum. The E team picks their mods and elites to recognize the great forum members - they don't recognize these fanboys in the same way. And you guys are trying to insult someone for being recognized as a truly elite magician?

I agree with Steerpike on this subject. And I think you guys should take a look at what he actually said as opposed to trying to insult him just because he's a mod on the E forums.

Some of you need to clean up your act as you have been very disrespectful towards E and Steerpike. Is this really the type of thing we need on these forums?

-Kevin

Aug 22, 2008
Originally posted by Steerpike
I notice that I've brought up several points of discussion that you have transparently ignored in favor of more ad hominem attacks. I suggest you brush up on your rhetorical skills and stop taking everything so personally before you attempt to continue this conversation.

Touched a nerve did I? :p

Nevermind sonny, just keep bleating eh?

Originally posted by Steerpike
I've asked several questions and made a couple of points that I would like some to answer and argue for or against.

And I wanna date Miss World, what are we gonna do?

The Gramercy Riff

Sep 1, 2007
Touched a nerve did I? :p

Nevermind sonny, just keep bleating eh?

And I wanna date Miss World, what are we gonna do?

I believe I said something about ad hominem attacks. And your reaction seems to imply that you think I was snapping at you angrily as you are now patting yourself on the back for your percieved rhetorical victory.

In reality I'm quite calm. The angry drunken Slovak persona and the bellicose claims of my inherent superiority are all affectations.

In non-flowery speak, I'm playing you.

Anyway, all further posts from you will be ignored if you fail to address any of the points I've brought up. Anyone who wishes to discuss this like intelligent human beings, I would be more than happy to oblige.

Aug 22, 2008
Originally posted by Guitarkid2023
You know it's okay for you guys to have your own opinion on things, but bashing Steerpike in the ways you just have are not going to help you in anyway. You think just because he's an E moderator makes him full of himself. Thus you try to make him look bad which ends up blowing up in your face because you find that he is a lot more intelligent than you think.

You people think that the E forums is all about crazy fanboys ranting all over the place. Have you looked around on these forums? It's worse that E. In fact I often find myself on those forums looking for something refreshing without having to deal with the craziness on this forum. The E team picks their mods and elites to recognize the great forum members - they don't recognize these fanboys in the same way. And you guys are trying to insult someone for being recognized as a truly elite magician?

I agree with Steerpike on this subject. And I think you guys should take a look at what he actually said as opposed to trying to insult him just because he's a mod on the E forums.

Some of you need to clean up your act as you have been very disrespectful towards E and Steerpike. Is this really the type of thing we need on these forums?

If you actually read his posts properly, you would see that Steerpike actually attacks other people first.

To put the record straight, Steerpike is not more intelligent than everyone else here. He just belives that he is. If you would like to illucidate us with an exordium of his axiomatic erudition, I will be all ears.

The issue is not about E, or whether he is a moderator, it is about his elitist and arrogant attitude he demonstrates when posting on these forums.

I am not surprised however that you have jumped in to defend Steerpike. You are just another fan boy from E who wishes to curry favour from those whom reside there. :p

The Gramercy Riff

D

Deleted member 2755

If you actually read his posts properly, you would see that Steerpike actually attacks other people first.

To put the record straight, Steerpike is not more intelligent than everyone else here. He just belives that he is. If you would like to illucidate us with an exordium of his axiomatic erudition, I will be all ears.

The issue is not about E, or whether he is a moderator, it is about his elitist and arrogant attitude he demonstrates when posting on these forums.

I am not surprised however that you have jumped in to defend Steerpike. You are just another fan boy from E who wishes to curry favour from those whom reside there. :p

The Gramercy Riff

I'm a moderator for Theory 11 and I agree with most of the stuff Steerpike says. I must be a fanboy for Ellusionist. After all, with the logic you are using... anybody who defends Steerpike is a fanboy from E....

This thread is starting to become a back and forth bashing thread. I can't believe the maturity of some people on this site sometimes. Any thread slightly having to do with Ellusionist eventually turns into a bashfest going into a spiral downward leading to an eventual lock.... Let's not make it happen here.

Be respectful to others. It's in the rules section of the site, but it should honestly go without saying.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Doug, in an effort to try and pull this back on track, you've seen some of the arguments I've put forward earlier in this thread about the contention of suspiciousness in the Sleeping Queen routine.

What do you think?

I also mentioned the story of Derrek Dingle's magician fooling pass. Are you familiar with that? I assure you that it is relevant to the point I'm trying to make.

May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh

The Gramercy Riff

I'm not even going to bother to point out everything that is wrong with what you just said

D

Deleted member 2755

I also mentioned the story of Derrek Dingle's magician fooling pass. Are you familiar with that? I assure you that it is relevant to the point I'm trying to make.

Nope. ;) Not familiar at all actually. I'll look into it.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Nope. ;) Not familiar at all actually. I'll look into it.

-Doug

To make a long story short, magicians would ask to see his pass as Derrek had a well-earned reputation for virtuosic sleight of hand. They selected a card, returned it to the deck, and Derrek riffled through the cards in a quick snap. The card was on top.

It wasn't revealed until years later that Derrek only ever did that for magicians... and that he was using a one-way forcing deck.

Aug 22, 2008
Originally posted by Sinful
I'm a moderator for Theory 11 and I agree with most of the stuff Steerpike says. I must be a fanboy for Ellusionist. After all, with the logic you are using... anybody who defends Steerpike is a fanboy from E....

I have not suggested that EVERYONE who defends Steerpike is a fan boy from E.

My criticism was aimed specifically at Guitarkid2023, whom I know and recognise from the E forums.

Originally posted by Sinful
Be respectful to others. It's in the rules section of the site, but it should honestly go without saying.

I take it these same rules apply to Steerpike, or does he get special treatment?

If Steerpike did not start these "bash fests" in the first place this situation would not arise.

I seen Steerpike's unwarranted, aggresive and downright arrogant behaviour on these forums go unchecked now for some considerable time.

The Gramercy Riff

D

Deleted member 2755

I have not suggested that EVERYONE who defends Steerpike is a fan boy from E.

My criticism was aimed specifically at Guitarkid2023, whom I know and recognise from the E forums.

I take it these same rules apply to Steerpike, or does he get special treatment?

If Steerpike did not start these "bash fests" in the first place this situation would not arise.

I seen Steerpike's unwarranted, aggresive and downright arrogant behaviour on these forums go unchecked now for some considerable time.

The Gramercy Riff

Of course it applies to Steerpike. When did I imply it didn't? Also, Steerpike's behavior has been dealt with by other moderators as he has had a temporary ban and has received PM's about his behavior. It's a lot better than some I have seen on this site. We also don't warn people about bans and such in public threads, so you wouldn't know anything about his behavior not being dealt with so I guess you are right... you haven't seen it happen because it was done the way it should be done.... in private.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
To make a long story short, magicians would ask to see his pass as Derrek had a well-earned reputation for virtuosic sleight of hand. They selected a card, returned it to the deck, and Derrek riffled through the cards in a quick snap. The card was on top.

It wasn't revealed until years later that Derrek only ever did that for magicians... and that he was using a one-way forcing deck.

Just uh... you know, putting this out there.

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA

Jeez, is no one else going to mention this? If Jack Canfield holds out a $100 bill, I'll snatch it already. After I watched the Sleeping Queen, I went through two phases.

Phase 1: "Oh, is that all? I was hoping it would be cooler."

Phase 2, about 10 seconds later: "That is ingenious. The (thing) is going to look insane to people."

Hauss is a master at taking something that is relatively known and disguising it so well that it fools most people. I regularly use sleights that an 8-year-old can learn, yet they pack a punch with my presentation.

Jaydinho: I'd be interested to know how your spectators reacted to your performance of Sleeping Queen. That should be a crucial piece of your overall review. What did they say?

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden

This thread is starting to become a back and forth bashing thread. I can't believe the maturity of some people on this site sometimes. Any thread slightly having to do with Ellusionist eventually turns into a bashfest going into a spiral downward leading to an eventual lock.... Let's not make it happen here.

-Doug

Oh my god, please let people have their own opinion. You can't lock every thread just because it's not "good" opinions.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Oh my god, please let people have their own opinion. You can't lock every thread just because it's not "good" opinions.
I think he has. Maybe a little too much in this case. He didnt say he was going to lock the thread. He was talking about the reasons threads get locked.

Unfortunately jaydinho's review turned into a bash fest that should have been done through pm's not taken up 3 pages of the thread. One or two jabs are fine in my opinion but then your beefs have to go private from there.

back on topic:
I'm fine with any negative review if the reasons have merit. This one however just doesnt make sense to me. I'm not trying to bash your review Jaydinho, I'm just stating some issues I have with it.
Now this trick looks ok, but I was let down upon finding out the method
It just uses an old childhood pastime its a pain to set up you need lots of consentration and it takes a while.
Once again same as Flow the gimmick can be found at a store near you . And also again you have prob played around with the stuff before as a kid. I think Dan just goes around in different stores and just makes tricks for each item
It sounds like you have a hangup with the gimmick because it can be found anywhere and is simple. Yet you like the looks of the trick, which to me is the important part. ok.

Its silly, the revelation look hell sus infact the whole routine looks sus to any magician
Who cares what it looks like to other magicians. Does it look good to your specs?

The method is silly, just like Flow
Once again same as Flow the gimmick can be found at a store near you
Again, the method hangup. Flows method is in the same ballpark of easy and available in stores but that doesnt make it silly. When performed right it slams. I've gotten great reactions from it.

think Dan just goes around in different stores and just makes tricks for each item
Ha. You may be right there.

Final thoughts: Save your self the money. Learn how to make some gaff cards and a color change and just do that. In my opinoin dont buy it
Fair enough. You think thats a better method.
Again, not a terrible review and I'm not trying to bash. Just some issues I saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results