So, you are meeting this girl for the first time...

Jan 15, 2010
To all those who are crying about this carrying card stuff let me tell you that this usually arouses a girl's interest in you. and if you are ashamed to be a magician and carry your stuff, please leave magic.

You are not a common man, stop trying to be common, you are a magician and people expect you to be odd.

Erlos, I asked the same question to Shane Street who gave some tips.

Never abruptly take out your deck (you can take out your deck while searching your pocket etc.)

Gaffed card magic hits them the hardest.

do not say "Hi, this is my magic" this will decrease the worth of your magic. Make them ask for it. Like talk about thier eyes and say that they make you remember you friend whom you showed your magic (they will ask you to show something)

end with a souvenir they can keep. (Gaff effects mostly end like that)

drop it in their hands, slowly move away with out a formal ending.

yeah, My friends most probably gonna ask for a magic from me, and I guess I'm gonna do paul Harris' Souvenir Linking Rubberbands and let her keep that band!

Hope she will find it sweet and nice! Thanks griffinjay, I also don't see any wrong with carrying a deck with you. I mean it does really add on the sense of mystery of the person. No?

Lol, do you still have any other tips? perhaps can PM me? =D

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
On having cards on you all the time::

I often have a deck for two reasons. One, I am a magician. Two, Me and my girlfriend (and my regular friends) all play card games when we get together. We might sit and play tunk or rummy in a bar over pitchers of beer. Eventually I'll do some magic, if asked (and I feel up to it), but for the games.

When asked to do magic, however, I try my best to stay away from cards if I wasn't intending to perform. Ring thing by Garrett Thomas, Signed coin to sugar packets, simple mind reading (whether cold reading or one ahead), and other similar things.

It's alright to accept that you are a magician, but Dan Sperry said it best when he said that magicians are professional losers. It's okay, we can appear cool, but think about how you react when you learn new methods or how some people get whenever a new product is about to be released. It's worse than the general publics love for celebrities (something I will never understand...fascination with other peoples lives).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Speak for yourself. There may be a lot of 'professional losers' out there, but I'm pretty sure they'd still be losers if they didn't do magic as well.

Yes, we get excited about new effects. So? How incredibly boring would someone be, if they never got excited about anything?

Seriously, some of you people sound like you're embarrased to be magicians.

It's alright to accept that I'm a magician? Seriously? I don't 'accept' that I'm a magician, I revel in it. Magic is awesome, there's nothing to 'accept' about it. That's like saying, "It's okay to accept that you totally rock at basketball, Michael Jordan," or "You can accept that you have an amazing voice, Pavarotti." It's not a disease. It's not something to be ashamed of.

I carry a deck of cards with me almost any time I'm not at work. I usually have stuff on me to do other types of magic, too. My friends all know I do magic, but they've rarely seen me do anything. Some color changes, Spin, random vanishes, but I rarely sit and perform any routines for them. Why? Because it hasn't come up. But, I am always ready to do something if asked and if I want to. And it'll probably be card stuff. And I don't think that's lame at all. I think it freakin' rocks.

Now, if I were going to meet someone, I'd have a deck of cards on me. I'd have my PK ring on (because I like wearing it) and I'd probably have a bent coin in my pocket. Will those come out? Probably not, but I certainly wouldn't worry that she's going to think I'm lame if it does come up. How can that even cross your mind?

I'm proud of who I am, and what I'm interested in is part of who I am. I won't force performances on anyone, but if the topic comes up I'm going to do some crazy stuff with whatever I feel like using at that time.

Jul 13, 2009
If you have to use magic to pick up girls or make friends. You Sir have a social problem and I advise you to seek professional help. :)

*gets his brown coat and fedora placing them on, turning and salutes everyone goodbye.*

GriffinJay the magician says, "To all those who are crying about this carrying card stuff...and if you are ashamed to be a magician and carry your stuff, please leave magic."

Well I guess I am leaving because you will not catch me alive with a girl and a deck of cards in sight unless I am playing cards. I want to impress people not make them feel like fools, and before someone throws the argument about presentation, I realize that but not every magician hobbyist is like you.

Edit
"Speak for yourself. There may be a lot of 'professional losers' out there, but I'm pretty sure they'd still be losers if they didn't do magic as well." SimonOHart,

Damn I was a little slow on the draw.

.... so will you magicians perform some tricks to them? If so, probably around how many? and what kinda of tricks are you guys performing?

I'll be meeting this new girl soon, I'm thinking of using magic as a bridge to let both of us know each other better.

So I'm thinking of doing two card monte, search and destroy, and lastly cellmate (to get her number :D :D) do you think its a little too much to show so many tricks at one go during our first meet up? I'm kinda thinking that cellmate might be a little too 'offensive' in pursuing the girl.

IDEAS PLEASE!!! XD :p :p

All I can say is to stay away from the cards or coins, or whatever u uses for magic. When you are going out with a girl, you are taking care of her. not your cards. To me, when your on a date, and you are playing with your cards. its just like you are on the phone in a theater. Don't force the magic on anyone. Maybe a little here and there to show her ur hobby, but never admit that you doing this for a living even if you are. Spent more time to get to know the girl is more important than show off with your magic. My only recommendation to you is too plan places that you are going to take her, and be funny. Girls love funny guys. I wish you luck boy.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
You can be proud of who you are and may not worry about what girls think of you, but that doesnt stop them thinking the worst of you.
A kid may be very proud that he speaks Clingon and doesnt care if girls think hes a dork... but does that make him suddenly cool?

GriffinJay the magician says, "To all those who are crying about this carrying card stuff...and if you are ashamed to be a magician and carry your stuff, please leave magic."

Well I guess I am leaving because you will not catch me alive with a girl and a deck of cards in sight unless I am playing cards. I want to impress people not make them feel like fools, and before someone throws the argument about presentation, I realize that but not every magician hobbyist is like you.

Please don't leave magic, our art is still in need of losers.;)

I agree with you that performing magic too much for a single person will make magic boring.

But renouncing your deck of cards will be something unfair too.

Please do remember that we are magicians and we have to be different than the common herd of people.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong

I agree with you that performing magic too much for a single person will make magic boring.

But renouncing your deck of cards will be something unfair too.

Please do remember that we are magicians and we have to be different than the common herd of people.

we are different by the fact that we perform magic...
not by the fact that we carry a deck of cards around us.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
lol sigh...

dont jump right into doing card magic or anything big, if your at a restaurant or something, just do some very small subtle things

like say you have a glass of water with a straw, have some loops on, and make the straw move

nothing to big, but enough to **** with her head

never give them everything, make them wonder.

we are different by the fact that we perform magic...
not by the fact that we carry a deck of cards around us.

You have a point but look how some people in the argument are saying that we must not carry cards or perform magic for a girl we just met.

Strangers are the best spectators I say, you have a chance of putting a first impression on them. that first impression will, normally, be "He is an ordinary guy" or even "A retard"

but If you do magic for them the first impression will be "Wow, that's amazing. This guy is sure mysterious"

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
You have a point but look how some people in the argument are saying that we must not carry cards or perform magic for a girl we just met.

Strangers are the best spectators I say, you have a chance of putting a first impression on them. that first impression will, normally, be "He is an ordinary guy" or even "A retard"

but If you do magic for them the first impression will be "Wow, that's amazing. This guy is sure mysterious"

OR
"this guy carries a deck of cards around him... great... another weirdo"
If you want to perform magic for strangers, you have to look the part. There is a fine line between cool and loser
It is very easy to come off as "h..hi.... would you like to see some magic? *riffle riffle spring spring* please?"

Jul 13, 2009

Nah your big enough to fill both of our places.

GriffinJay then said that he is in agreement that performing for an audience of makes tricks boring.

Griffin you are agreeing to a non existent point, maybe you do need professional help. :)

Griffin furthers his post by stating, "But renouncing your deck of cards will be something unfair too."
The writer has now completely lost me, again my post had nothing to do with this.

Then Griffin feels the need remind me that all magicians shouldn't be clones. I feel slightly offended that the preacher doesn't follow his teachings. Every other post that has been made by griffin refers to either a Daniel Madison quote, or an opinion paraphrased from the "Pop" magicians.

Anyway I have no idea what your age is so I will restrict further opinion.

Silver

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert

GriffinJay then said that he is in agreement that performing for an audience of makes tricks boring.

Griffin you are agreeing to a non existent point, maybe you do need professional help. :)

Griffin furthers his post by stating, "But renouncing your deck of cards will be something unfair too."
The writer has now completely lost me, again my post had nothing to do with this.

Then Griffin feels the need remind me that all magicians shouldn't be clones. I feel slightly offended that the preacher doesn't follow his teachings. Every other post that has been made by griffin refers to either a Daniel Madison quote, or an opinion paraphrased from the "Pop" magicians.

Silver

I can't refrain from doing this:

arod_owned_by_tek.jpg

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You can be proud of who you are and may not worry about what girls think of you, but that doesnt stop them thinking the worst of you.
A kid may be very proud that he speaks Clingon and doesnt care if girls think hes a dork... but does that make him suddenly cool?

I know a guy that can walk into any crowd and have them laughing and talking, all liking him. He's got a receding hairline, thick glasses, a beer gut and he collects toys, comics and is obsessed with Dr. Who. He's probably the 'coolest' guy I know, and also one of the biggest dorks I've ever met.

Cool is entirely relative. Don't mistake having social skill for anything other than having social skill. It doesn't matter if someone .. I don't know ... collects ... molds, spores and fungi. If they can comfortably talk to other people, they will probably be thought of as cool, even if they are dorks. Their oddball interests will seem to be interesting to other people. People respond to passion.

If you want to be 'cool' all you really have to do is be comfortable with yourself and learn how to talk with other people. It doesn't matter if you also do card tricks, just learn how to socialize.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I know a guy that can walk into any crowd and have them laughing and talking, all liking him. He's got a receding hairline, thick glasses, a beer gut and he collects toys, comics and is obsessed with Dr. Who. He's probably the 'coolest' guy I know, and also one of the biggest dorks I've ever met.

Cool is entirely relative. Don't mistake having social skill for anything other than having social skill. It doesn't matter if someone .. I don't know ... collects ... molds, spores and fungi. If they can comfortably talk to other people, they will probably be thought of as cool, even if they are dorks. Their oddball interests will seem to be interesting to other people. People respond to passion.

If you want to be 'cool' all you really have to do is be comfortable with yourself and learn how to talk with other people. It doesn't matter if you also do card tricks, just learn how to socialize.
I would so put this in my signature if it wasn't so big. Truest thing that will probably ever come out of this thread. It bugs me that people stereotype "cool". They think "cool" is a certain type of person. Don't conform to the ways of everybody else just cause you want to fit in and be "cool".

Silver

I was unable to understand your points and thus my previous reply was quit vague but now I understand that you have certain complexes that do not let you to openly perform. I see no point in owning effects if your deck will stay home. David Blaine, Lee asher, aaron fisher and many others I respect always have a deck with them.

I believe that my art has no limits and that I can perform anywhere and for anybody. I am free of complexes.

P.s. can you tell me which daniel+Madison quotes I use?

Jul 13, 2009
Nah, I'd rather watch Captain McCluskey and Sollozzo get blown away by Michael. But if you take the time to look at your previous posts, you know the past the thing magicians shouldn't be looking back on instead looking at the future? If you do take the time to look at your posts you should and will see where I drew my conclusions that "griffin refer to either Daniel Madison quote, or an opinion paraphrased from the "Pop" Magicians." Anyway I have to start working on an other paper have fun Griffin Saturday night Contest tonight hurrah!

Silver

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
\

That is only a true to an extent.
Confidence within yourself will help you socialize, but it does not do everything. People generally categorize people into cool and dork within the materialistic elements of their life. You may be great at socializing but it will only bring you so far.

Let me make my message a bit clearer and simpler.

Using magic for pickup might be down right unacceptable as it is a disrespect for the art . it is exploitation of the art in a way but on the other hand, not being able to perform in front of a girl and not being able to carry the deck of cards everywhere is a weakness that a magician must get rid of.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Let me make my message a bit clearer and simpler.

Using magic for pickup might be down right unacceptable as it is a disrespect for the art . it is exploitation of the art in a way but on the other hand, not being able to perform in front of a girl and not being able to carry the deck of cards everywhere is a weakness that a magician must get rid of.

I disagree with both parts.
It might be a tad tacky and not exactly the point of performing magic... but you are still entertaining arent you? youre still making an impression with magic arent you? yes... yes you are.
Performing for women is very simple. Most people can. Dont know what you are referring to.
And we are able to carry around our deck... We are specifically advising against it if you want to make a good first impression infront of a lady friend you want to... "meet"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results