Something Weird I Noticed

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey guys. So I felt a need to go back and revise my top palms, so I went into the Royal Road and started reading through the palming section. I noticed something kind of weird, at least to me. Whenever I was focusing on getting the palms, it seemed like it was super unnatural, and kept landing a bit off. However, when I read through and saw that it said to make it so you are getting into the palm without realizing you're in it, I started just palming cards without focusing on palming them.

As I did this, my palms landed perfectly, or rather, much better than they were when I was trying to palm them. I think I've actually noticed this in other sleights as well. This is great for performing, since I will be focusing on the patter enough to direct my attention away from the palm enough to make it feel natural.

I'm just curious to know, does this happen to anyone else, and does anyone know why that is?

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Hey guys. So I felt a need to go back and revise my top palms, so I went into the Royal Road and started reading through the palming section. I noticed something kind of weird, at least to me. Whenever I was focusing on getting the palms, it seemed like it was super unnatural, and kept landing a bit off. However, when I read through and saw that it said to make it so you are getting into the palm without realizing you're in it, I started just palming cards without focusing on palming them.

As I did this, my palms landed perfectly, or rather, much better than they were when I was trying to palm them. I think I've actually noticed this in other sleights as well. This is great for performing, since I will be focusing on the patter enough to direct my attention away from the palm enough to make it feel natural.

I'm just curious to know, does this happen to anyone else, and does anyone know why that is?

OH MY GOD!! My palms are better!!! Thanks!!!!

I would like to say when I first started doing the scream freak flip/Bizzaro flip I would sing All star by smash mouth in my head to take my mind off it, and I would "hit it" every time. I don't know why not concentrating on some moves makes them easier....

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
OH MY GOD!! My palms are better!!! Thanks!!!!

I would like to say when I first started doing the scream freak flip/Bizzaro flip I would sing All star by smash mouth in my head to take my mind off it, and I would "hit it" every time. I don't know why not concentrating on some moves makes them easier....
Probably something to do with muscle memory

Also, this is proof Allstar goes with everything.

Reactions: 010rusty
Jul 25, 2017
I believe that when you are focusing on a move, you tense up, which might make your movements "jerky". Certainly is that way with me.

Jul 26, 2016
This is a bit off topic, but IMO the top change is one of the most ingenious and useful moves in card magic. i think one reason this is so is that both hands are not on the deck when the move is made. In fact the other hand is not even really close to the deck. There is something about both hands being on the deck at the same time, for example with card controls, or even the regular palm or side steal, that somehow signals to the spectators that you are "doing something," or about to do something. Not so with the top change. It is so disarming to the uninitiated. They never even dream that any kind of move is being done with just one hand holding the deck, much less that a card is being levered into the palm, machine-like, by the pinky with the top outside corner of the deck acting as a fulcrum. :D And you can gesture, point, or whatever, with the free hand for an added layer of misdirection. What also adds to the deception is that the deck is held in that Biddle grip position and there is a visible and fairly sizable gap between the top card of the deck and the palm of the hand. Love the top palm...​

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
This is a bit off topic, but IMO the top change is one of the most ingenious and useful moves in card magic. i think one reason this is so is that both hands are not on the deck when the move is made. In fact the other hand is not even really close to the deck. There is something about both hands being on the deck at the same time, for example with card controls, or even the regular palm or side steal, that somehow signals to the spectators that you are "doing something," or about to do something. Not so with the top change. It is so disarming to the uninitiated. They never even dream that any kind of move is being done with just one hand holding the deck, much less that a card is being levered into the palm, machine-like, by the pinky with the top outside corner of the deck acting as a fulcrum. :D And you can gesture, point, or whatever, with the free hand for an added layer of misdirection. What also adds to the deception is that the deck is held in that Biddle grip position and there is a visible and fairly sizable gap between the top card of the deck and the palm of the hand. Love the top palm...​
Wait... top change? Or Top palm. I am now confused. Y u do dis? :D

I think you mean top palm lol, so just to continue:

I really think that the top palm is great. Even the 2 handed top palm, which is the one I am more comfortable with, can be manipulated to throw off all suspicion. I love to carelessly dribble the cards a couple times, and square them up. I generally do this throughout my entire performance, and whenever I just have a deck with me. That way, when I palm the card as I square it up, no one cares.

I love Action Palm by Marlo, which is a Chapter in Revolutionary Card Technique, as well as a standalone thing in some places. Essentially, it utilizes something else as cover for the palm, both classic and angle. It shows you full on moves, like a Count Cop, which allows you to Cop a card whilst counting out a packet, to simple subtleties.that make palms invisible. For example, my main problem with a Cop is that if you square up the deck, it is strange seeing it so low. However, when I tried out the "Marlo" method of bringing the pack to the fingertips as I copped the card, not only did it give me a reason to handle the deck, it made the cop seem impossible. I highly recommend it, especially for you, since you clearly love the move. There are even ways to palm off the card as you give it a riffle shuffle w/ a bridge, as you spread the pack, as you hit the cards against the edge of a table for a square up, and a ton more. Now that I think about it, the action palms are so much easier to perform, because you are no longer concentrating on the palm itself, but the actual cover. Dammit, either Marlo was an actual wizard, or way to good of a teacher. Because I attempted to try all and learn a lot of the moves (and due to the size of the "chapter", it kept me occupied for a long long time. Highly recommend it, and the rest of Revolutionary Card Technique!

Reactions: mrt818
Jul 26, 2016
Yeah if I could do a one-handed top change even Marlo would be envious. Sounds like that RCT has some great stuff in it. I have been coasting on just 2 palms for a very long time: the one-handed top palm and the other (I have no idea where I got it) just thumb the top card upward about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and push down with my fingers, letting the card pop into my hand. At that point I either hand the deck to spectator for shuffling with the guilty hand, or let the hand with the palmed card (guilty hand) casually drop to my side, as I simultaneously offer the deck to a spectator with the other hand.

Not saying this to brag, but since I don't get caught - probably because of the timing and misdirection from doing it so long (or maybe just very lucky) - I guess I haven't really been motivated to delve into the endless other ways of palming.

I have found the best time to palm a card in terms of no chance of getting caught is right before you are even officially presenting a trick. They are not really looking for anything. Like for Poker Players Picnic out of the Royal Road (which is a great self-working trick that you probably know, where the spectator does all the cutting and dealing and reveals an ace on each of 4 packets) I get a break under the four aces in the beginning, and while casually chatting, palm them off, using the method i mentioned above, drop the (very guilty, but unsuspected hand) to my side and hand the deck for shuffling. When I receive the deck back, I casually replace the cards (Aces) as I look at the spectator and address a question or remark to him/her. Now you are set to take a great trick to an absolute miracle. Something they never forget. Of course, I do not let them forget that they shuffled the cards in the beginning and that I "never touched them." (Just a wee bit of a lie, since I touched them briefly after they shuffled when I received the deck back and replaced the cards. But they don't even remember that). Try it, you'll like it...

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I tried this with the pass. It works great! Probably works with all sleights that require a more fluid action.

Been annoying my sister with it all day. I just casually show her a card, and she never catches the pass, but it annoys her since she is so confused as to how it changed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results