sources explaining trick methods and Techniques and materials to use

Mar 29, 2022
I keep seeing all of these magicians on fool us and AGT and on youtube in general performing their own created magic tricks, stage or close up and i'm just wondering how they know what materials to use to build their trick. like is there a book or lecture explaining different types of materials or objects you could use to pull off a certain trick like levitating something. I know there's books and pdfs explaining secrets of stage illusions and different false bases, but if there is a source explaining materials and methods for none box illusions and if you could share it that would be great.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yes, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of books explaining methods and materials and such.

Read and absorb as many as you can - Magic books, science books and articles, YouTube tutorials on building things, etc. This gives you a toolbox of knowledge and skills that you can draw on when you have an idea for a trick.

I think one of the best books for learning to think in this manner is Tommy Wonder's Books of Wonder. He describes the process he used for creating all his material. Another good one in the magic realm is Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher where he describes his process for creating the One Handed Pop Over.

It's about having an idea for a finished effect and then building the method around that desired effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results