Static by David Jade and Damien Vappereau?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Hey.
So i bought Static on the DnD website and was rather disappointed. It wasnt because the method was bad but just because I thought it was something totally new. Although they do note this, this is the exact Henry Evans gimmick for rising card. So i was wondering what gave them rights to produce this product? Although there wasnt an exact patent, all they sold was 2 variations on how to use the gimmick.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Hey.
So i bought Static on the DnD website and was rather disappointed. It wasnt because the method was bad but just because I thought it was something totally new. Although they do note this, this is the exact Henry Evans gimmick for rising card. So i was wondering what gave them rights to produce this product? Although there wasnt an exact patent, all they sold was 2 variations on how to use the gimmick.

Nearly every DVD you find around these days is someone else's take on someone else's trick or sleight. Original material is EXTREMELY rare these days. Everything has to be credited to someone else. Dan and Dave took David Jade's surprising take on the haunted pack routine that even they could not figure out and released it. You obviously did not know how it was done, hence you bought it. Go through the DVDs you see here and everywhere else, and the 1on1's, and see how much is completely brand new, original material.

They took a useful gimmick and taught how to use it in a creative and cool application. No different than people teaching methods for using a thumb tip, the invisible deck, or invisible thread. Hardly anyone knows the original creator, but there is truckloads of good material out there from other people.

L

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
yea but...
well thats not exactly right.
It wasnt "i couldnt figure it out" but "i thought it was something better/ new" There are a truck load of methods for haunted packs and this was no different.
And this is kind of different. If you look at the DVDs and 1-on-1s, there are usually some brand new sleight of routine or something. This is just... selling a presentation with someone elses gimmick. Thats like me selling the Moving pips gimmick that everyone uses and just changing my presentation.
The gimmick used in Static is actually an exact gimmick that you cant really change. Things like the thumb tip, invisible deck, and IT are extremely general gimmicks. You can find atleast 100 tricks with each of those. I challenge you to find even 50 uses for the gimmick in Static.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
yea but...
well thats not exactly right.
It wasnt "i couldnt figure it out" but "i thought it was something better/ new" There are a truck load of methods for haunted packs and this was no different.
And this is kind of different. If you look at the DVDs and 1-on-1s, there are usually some brand new sleight of routine or something. This is just... selling a presentation with someone elses gimmick. Thats like me selling the Moving pips gimmick that everyone uses and just changing my presentation.
The gimmick used in Static is actually an exact gimmick that you cant really change. Things like the thumb tip, invisible deck, and IT are extremely general gimmicks. You can find atleast 100 tricks with each of those. I challenge you to find even 50 uses for the gimmick in Static.

50 uses for a thumb tip? Beyond making things appear and vanish, there are very few. 50 for Invisible Thread? Again, not very many when it comes down to it. Just different presentations using the same gimmick in the same ways. The gimmick used in Static is very much meant for one kind of idea, but that is no different than most any gimmick in magic. Even a double backer, though you can use it in hundreds of tricks, has but one normal purpose and use, plus a small handful of odd uses (look, these two cards fused together! Magic!...) This presentation is not the same as the original gimmick called for, the only similarity is that the card comes out from the deck, which is the very purpose for the gimmick.

L

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
what he is trying to get at is a card with some invisible elastic attached to it disappointed him.

a tad exposuryish...
but ah well
and thats not it. it wasnt the actual gimmick that dissappointed me as its a great idea but it was the concept of originality... They didnt do much to it either.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
50 uses for a thumb tip? Beyond making things appear and vanish, there are very few. 50 for Invisible Thread? Again, not very many when it comes down to it. Just different presentations using the same gimmick in the same ways. The gimmick used in Static is very much meant for one kind of idea, but that is no different than most any gimmick in magic. Even a double backer, though you can use it in hundreds of tricks, has but one normal purpose and use, plus a small handful of odd uses (look, these two cards fused together! Magic!...) This presentation is not the same as the original gimmick called for, the only similarity is that the card comes out from the deck, which is the very purpose for the gimmick.

L

the thumb tip.... youre not looking hard at all...
Invisible thread... once again... what do you read/ watch? there is so much.
Double backer... Not as much as the ones before but there are way more uses than the Static gimmick.

As i have said before... if i took the Moving pips gimmick and just made a new DVD with a different presentation... I am so sure it will be frowned upon

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results