Stop Saying Patter Please

I say script however I improv with it. I recommend set scripts for nearly all if not all effects that you perform. This does not mean you have to say it word for word but it gives you something to work with and improve on.

I rarely stick directly to my script, if I start to stray to far I know where I can pick back up with little worries. Scripts also reduce your "uh's" and "um's" dramatically if you read your scripts.

Mar 2, 2008
One of my magicain friends acually hated the word and used "script" instead, i go back and forwth but script again can go both ways.

Sep 1, 2007
Good call on this one sherlock, although I do think you should have stated your reasoning more clearly in your first post rather than just stating the definition, but why you didn't think it was a good idea, I didn't get to that part until the second page.

Anyway according to some dictionaries the word is correctly used amongst magicians, so going off of one definition isn't fair.

However I do think that a script should be written for each effect, which I'll admit I have a hard time with, but the payoff is so worth it, it's so easy to remember your own writing.

It all depends on the venue though, I have a set script for two effects and most of mine depend on how loud or the environment of where I think or know I'll be.

~Beans

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Surely this is the same thing as using "effect" instead of "trick". I think it's a good idea, but getting the world to go along with it is a different matter. I think the best anyone can hope for in this situation is to take it on board personally - at least, take on board why this is the case, even if you don't change what you say, if you understand the difference, it will go a long way, since attitude is very important.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I would love to put restaurant gypsy on my business card if I could actually pull that look off.

I hope to one day see a restaurant gypsy, it would make my life complete.

Surely this is the same thing as using "effect" instead of "trick". I think it's a good idea, but getting the world to go along with it is a different matter. I think the best anyone can hope for in this situation is to take it on board personally - at least, take on board why this is the case, even if you don't change what you say, if you understand the difference, it will go a long way, since attitude is very important.

Way to be insightful. I'm for this notion, not only in patter vs. script or trick vs. effect, but in everything in life. Be open minded enough to listen and respect everyone but don't be afraid to be different and have your own opinion. It's like CK says in the 'beginner' video for T11 (which I go back to every now and then for advice) (paraphrased) 'do what you want to do, if you want to be the coin guy, do coins. If you want to be a card guy do cards, and don't worry about what everyone else is doing...'

Darwin Ortiz wrote a short essay that I somehow got hold of (someone sent it to me...) about 'The Next Book Syndrome'. And how every magician is waiting for the next book or now the next big DVD to come out...instead of reading the last great book that came out cover to cover. It's really inspiring actually. But that's Darwin Ortiz for you, 5 pages about the addiction to 'the next great book' instead of putting in the hard work and becoming a better magician.

Good call on this one sherlock, although I do think you should have stated your reasoning more clearly in your first post rather than just stating the definition, but why you didn't think it was a good idea, I didn't get to that part until the second page.

Anyway according to some dictionaries the word is correctly used amongst magicians, so going off of one definition isn't fair.

However I do think that a script should be written for each effect, which I'll admit I have a hard time with, but the payoff is so worth it, it's so easy to remember your own writing.

It all depends on the venue though, I have a set script for two effects and most of mine depend on how loud or the environment of where I think or know I'll be.

~Beans

Yeah, you'll have to excuse me on this one. I just got back from ER with a sprained ankle and tomorrow I am supposed to be shipping off to bootcamp so now it's delayed. Lowartab was in my system so my head wasn't running efficiently.

@Prae and foolz, the only reason I labeled the thread as it was, is because it was the only way for people to really take a look at the thread. Many people do not like being told what to do by somebody they knew so I knew it would grab attention, though I should have still wrote something different.

I honestly do not care if you disagree with me on this (directed at everybody), but I hope you can think about this intelligently and look at where I'm coming from. It seems one or two people did not understand, partly my fault, and just told me that w/e generic answer they had. Not a problem anyways, I hope some people understood what I'm trying convey here and how it goes along with thinking intelligently.

I will admit that I used this word for a short time. However after looking up the word it really is exactly what you don't want to use when performing.

patter2 definition

pat·ter (pat′ər)

transitive verb, intransitive verb
to speak or mumble rapidly or glibly; recite (prayers, etc.) mechanically or thoughtlessly

Etymology: ME pateren < pater, in paternoster, as pronounced in rapid, mechanical recitation

noun

1. language peculiar to a group, class, etc., and not generally understood by outsiders; cant; jargon
2. the glib, rapid speech of salespeople, comedians, magicians, etc.
3. idle, meaningless chatter

After reading this I think you will understand the ignorance behind using the word. Just to share some actual useful information when talking to others.

Source http://www.yourdictionary.com/patter
good research though....thanks.....i had no idea....

Nov 8, 2007
Well us as magicians should, which is listed in my previous posts.

I still don't see how it makes any difference.

It's how you use, not what you call it. Laymen never hear the word "patter" when you perform, so what difference does it make what insider terminology is used to described it "behind close doors?"

As Shakespeare would say, "A rose is a rose..."

Alright I guess I need to spell it out now.

Patter is defined as idle and meaningless chatter, and this is what I see a lot of now from many magicians.

They have no substance when they talk they define the word patter through their presentation. That is why I pointed this out, I didn't think I really needed to say that but I guess it was needed.

It seems people just associated the word patter with talking, not knowing the definition and used it incorrectly in a bad way. This is what I was trying to convey through all of my posts. That when we use the word incorrectly on accident and then actually use it properly on accident when it's not something we want to do.

No one wants useless filler talk, it takes away from you and the effect. Now that I wrote out my exact thoughts maybe this will clear things up a bit.

May 31, 2008
I say script however I improv with it. I recommend set scripts for nearly all if not all effects that you perform. This does not mean you have to say it word for word but it gives you something to work with and improve on.

I rarely stick directly to my script, if I start to stray to far I know where I can pick back up with little worries. Scripts also reduce your "uh's" and "um's" dramatically if you read your scripts.

Just letting you know I wasn't directing that post at you, I can't judge you, I've never even seen you perform!

Just letting you know I wasn't directing that post at you, I can't judge you, I've never even seen you perform!

I know, but you made a good point and I simply elaborated on it.

Script is something that I really recommend for everybody in all magic. Believe me, saying "um" quite a few times looks bad on you. I am fairly good at improv with effects but having a script is a good backup for a start, middle, or ending.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'm also going to add that having a consistent character can help scripting, and choosing effects, easier.

It also helps you connect one routine to another if you have a character to perform them as, since your presentations will be similar based on 'who' you are your routines will flow better. This also makes improv a lot easier since you know the types of things your character is interested in.

If you have solid performances and write out scripts to your magic and want to use the word patter, I have no beef. But if your performances reflect idle and meaningless chatter...then start saying and composing scripts. If only to improve your magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results