Street Magic

May 31, 2008
I watched your video, and I've got my usual list of assorted notes for you.

1) Wardrobe! You need a performance costume that will set you aside from everyone else you perform for. You blend in WAY to much with the rest of the marks. Also, The jeans and T-shirt will scream David Blaine, an image you'll want to avoid. You want to become your own brand, and identity. Ditch the T-shirt and Jeans.

2) Lighting: Use better lighting. @1:10 you are way to dark.

3) Don't have the camera man answer you by shaking the camera yes or no like at 5:00. It is disorienting to the viewer.

4) Flash at 5:09. The silk doesn't lay flush against your hand and responds to movement like there is a stub of "something" held within it's folds. Tighten this up if you want people to actually buy this as "impromptu".

I don't know what the comment about using Criss Angel's music was about. I didn't recall hearing one note of Mind Freak in your video. As for your presentation style: I've said before that it mirrors that of Criss's. You're going to catch a lot of flack for that while you explore and find yourself in magic. Sooner or later you'll develop your own presentation style and your brand "Destiny" will become an entity unto itself. Until then, keep experimenting. Try different styles, try different presentations. Watch as much TV magic as you can find for inspiration and research. This thing just takes time.

The "Mindfreak" theme song was not used, but some of his other music was.

M

Mystifier1

Thanks everyone for helping.

For pressure the girls said they didn't have a phone.

I will try to keep everything in mind mentioned her.
Thanks again.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Really man, I love your Criss Angel personifications, keep up the good work.

What's wrong with performing being the way you are? are you THAT boring that you really want to try to be someone else when performing?

With all those "heee , heee", I was just waiting for "Luke, I am your father" words to come out of your mouth... you never said those words :(

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I watched your video, and I've got my usual list of assorted notes for you.

1) Wardrobe! You need a performance costume that will set you aside from everyone else you perform for. You blend in WAY to much with the rest of the marks. Also, The jeans and T-shirt will scream David Blaine, an image you'll want to avoid. You want to become your own brand, and identity. Ditch the T-shirt and Jeans.

2) Lighting: Use better lighting. @1:10 you are way to dark.

3) Don't have the camera man answer you by shaking the camera yes or no like at 5:00. It is disorienting to the viewer.

4) Flash at 5:09. The silk doesn't lay flush against your hand and responds to movement like there is a stub of "something" held within it's folds. Tighten this up if you want people to actually buy this as "impromptu".

I don't know what the comment about using Criss Angel's music was about. I didn't recall hearing one note of Mind Freak in your video. As for your presentation style: I've said before that it mirrors that of Criss's. You're going to catch a lot of flack for that while you explore and find yourself in magic. Sooner or later you'll develop your own presentation style and your brand "Destiny" will become an entity unto itself. Until then, keep experimenting. Try different styles, try different presentations. Watch as much TV magic as you can find for inspiration and research. This thing just takes time.

He's in High School I think, so him dressing in a different wardrobe than usual would most likely look really silly.

The jeans and a T shirt are perfectly normal.

I've seen most of his videos and he tries too hard to be somebody else. People can tell when you are not being yourself so to speak. They can tell when you are trying to be David Blaine or Criss Angel or anybody else. Also you need to STOP trying to make each video into a "episode" or season. You are not the creators of Half Life and you are not a TV show. You need to have a reality check and realize you are a kid on youtube.

You can still put up videos, but get rid of all the editing and just make it a regular video.

The only thing I liked is that you actually went out and performed for people. Aside from that EVERYTHING needs work.

It's not just your presentation, your sleights look sooooo mechanical and forced. You need to be loose. You need to be nonchalant. Just when I watched this video I saw nothing original and nothing seemed natural. It looked like you were trying so hard to be someone that you're not.

Also you might want to fire your cameraman. No good.

I'm tired and I'd write up something more if I weren't. But I think everything that I wanted to say has been said.

Work on your presentation buddy. Add some interesting patter. Even if it's simple you need to engage your audience.

Mitch

May 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
At Least You're Out There

Hey, at least you're out there, most people find it difficult to approach strangers me included. I wouldn't worry about the Criss Angel comments if that is where you get inspiration great. Most negative comments from that come from people that will never be as talented as him, and they can't stand that he has a unique style and is one of the most successful magicians ever. The Criss Angel haters will come after me in this thread and only prove my point further.

Dec 30, 2008
I really enjoyed that you went our and performed, I wanted to thank you.

I did have some problems with the video though.

I don't like the breathing, I don't like the hand gestures, and I didn't see anyone staring at you in dollar general. (I could be wrong)

Thats all. :D

Hey, at least you're out there, most people find it difficult to approach strangers me included. I wouldn't worry about the Criss Angel comments if that is where you get inspiration great. Most negative comments from that come from people that will never be as talented as him, and they can't stand that he has a unique style and is one of the most successful magicians ever. The Criss Angel haters will come after me in this thread and only prove my point further.

There's a huge difference between Inspiration and Copycatting. He's not inspired by the guy, he wants to be him. Yeah, it's good that he's out there, but the teacher doesn't give out an A+ if the student's only gotten one answer right on the whole test. Even with that being said, it's a step in the right direction by performing for actual people. Everything that's been said so far seems to stand pretty strong. There's a lot that needs to be worked on, and at this point, even a kick in the pants is forward movement.

it takes guts to go out to people.
and some good effects there.
but yea there are some constructive critisism.

first, you only need one camera.
it makes it too choppy to have 2 cameras.
get one camera and film it. so its all continuous.
also yea dont try to be like criss angel with all the continuous shots and poses and whatnot.
be yourself. be lamont.
im sure you are a good enough person to just go out, be yourself and have fun.

its quite long for someone like me to watch. seperate it into different tricks perhaps.

but other than that i think you r doing fine.
just be yourself.
work on your patter a bit.
this will come with experience too. and you'll be able to be yourself and have control with out telling people to watch all the time. i used to be like. watch this watch.
now u can just be like. here. and they follow

Really, especially don't do the breathing.
Made me cringe when you did, and it doesn't help a thing.

The problem with the breathing is that there's no motivation for it. I can kinda see doing it for certain things that are supposed to come of as "Physically Challenging/Impossible" as in something you need to prepare yourself for, but the first sign of the "breathing" in this video, was when he put a deck of cards into a balloon. It made no sense to do it in that instance.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The problem with the breathing is that there's no motivation for it. I can kinda see doing it for certain things that are supposed to come of as "Physically Challenging/Impossible" as in something you need to prepare yourself for, but the first sign of the "breathing" in this video, was when he put a deck of cards into a balloon. It made no sense to do it in that instance.

Maybe he was suffering from Hulkamania or Macho Madness. I mean that would account for the heavy breathing.

M

Mystifier1

Thanks everyone there were some good points made in this thread and RDchopper with his words of wisdom. ;)

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Bump*

Excessive camera cuts, too many special effects, terrible sound quality and bad lighting. And that's just the video. Performance: you are very dull and when you do the trick, you seem to ignore the audience. Magic is about the spectator. Avoid heavy breathing, as said before. I honestly don't care at all if you want to have criss angels children, that's up to you. But if you choose to do so, try to make it an extension of you're persona. I'm glad you tried performing for real people, but many, many improvements must be made.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results