T11 Newest Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
I'm sure everyone knows the news by now. If you don't, on December 1st T11 is releasing 100 White Centurions, and 100 Brown Wynns. Am I the only one that is kind of chuckling at this. In the words of trashman, their parodying themselves.

Also, I really really REALLY want a team member response to the following. In the newsletter, you advertised a new Jason England 1on1 tonight. Cool. But let me quote you guys on this.

"As is tradition, the 1-on-1 training section will be updated tonight at 11:00pm EST - this time with a new video from underground expert card technician Jason England."

underground? Underground?! What the hell is that supposed to mean? Jason England isn't "underground" Why does everything these days have ti be "underground" What does that even mean? Again, I'd love a team member response to this.

Sep 1, 2007
I definently don't hate theory11. I love this place. I'm just voicing my opinions on this particular subject.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Haha

I definently don't hate theory11. I love this place. I'm just voicing my opinions on this particular subject.

Haha, I do find it ironic as well. Marketing is marketing, buisness is buisness. I agree though, I love this place, and hey, if there are buyers, why not sell again? NEWS FLASH: They ARE trying to make some money as well!

It is what it is.

Take care everyone,

-Sanj

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Haha, I do find it ironic as well. Marketing is marketing, buisness is buisness. I agree though, I love this place, and hey, if there are buyers, why not sell again? NEWS FLASH: They ARE trying to make some money as well!

It is what it is.

Take care everyone,

-Sanj

Exactly.
You gotta keep in mind that the target audience for this website is teenagers.
So in a way makes it sound "cool".
Also,so what if they put underground? why stress out over something that doesnt really matter? and for something thats pretty obvious too.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Exactly.
You gotta keep in mind that the target audience for this website is teenagers.
So in a way makes it sound "cool".
Also,so what if they put underground? why stress out over something that doesnt really matter? and for something thats pretty obvious too.

Im a teenager! yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy, can I be cool? (sarcasm;))

Jul 10, 2008
I think their target market is magicians, not teens. I haven't seen anything "teen specific" in any of their advertisements. Aside from that, Underground is thrown around an awful lot these days, but to each their own. At least everything on this site isn't referred to as "Uber Cool".

John

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Im a teenager! yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy, can I be cool? (sarcasm;))

lol
I didnt mean to make it sound like im so mature or anything.im still a teen myself.
Also,the people who run T11 are all pretty darn young so they naturally have this taste in words or how the videos are made and stuff.
As for why they put "underground" i dont even know anymore.

Sep 4, 2007
why stress out over something that doesnt really matter?

I don't think he is stressing out as much as bringing up a topic that is worth debate.

'Underground' is the new catch phrase for the trendy. If hollywood were to apply the same logic their tag lines might go...

"From underground expert filmmaker Stephen Spielberg, comes a story about a man who stood up for what he believed in........" yada yada yada. Calling Jason underground, or DM underground, sounds just as ridiculous when said aloud.

"From the Expert Undergound Animation Giant Pixar, comes a story about a little robot with a big heart........"

yup, still sounds ridiculous.

underground? Underground?! What the hell is that supposed to mean? Jason England isn't "underground" Why does everything these days have ti be "underground" What does that even mean? Again, I'd love a team member response to this.

From my perspective he is asking a genuine question because, let's face it, business or not the whole 'underground' word usage is nothing more than a hook, and a pretentious hook at that. It is exaggerated importance and has an air of elitism.

Noone has been able to define 'underground,' and most users fall back on the importance of one's differing opinons being valid as a defence against the lack of a definition.

Every 'magician' under the sun has been called underground in some form of marketing, so much so that it has become nothing more than verbal masturbation as the magical consumers have become so desensitized by it's constant use.

Next will be "From the producers who brought you the Gaurdian's and Brown Wynn's, (Or Ghosts and Black Ghosts), we now bring you the newest and bestest underground deck you have ever seen!"

If you hate Theory11, don't go on it. Simple as that.

Yes it is simple. However it is also ignorent. Debates are a good thing and just because someone has a genuine thought on a marketing scheme doesn't make them T11 haters.

urban

Sep 1, 2007
urban, you the man. Took the words right outta my mouth. I don't hate theory11, but this "underground" trend is getting irritating and I think its tarnishing theory11 a little bit. I'm really not a fan of old time magicians, but now I can see where their coming from when they tell me their opinions of this site. Like I said, I disagree with old time guys on 90% of all debates, but I think their right when it comes to this one.

Why can't it just be a new 1on1 from magician Jason England? It has to be an underground video with intense, gritty, intricate detail? Lets step away from the "They need money" aspect of this, because one, thats not true(Have you seen the way some of these guys live? If 1 download doesn't sell great, are they going to go bankrupt?) and two, its just plain lieing. Jason England is not "underground" by any sense whatsoever. I've heard of him in many places. He performs at gigs and such. He has released material before joining theory11. To my knowlege, he's never referred to himself as "underground"

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I'm sure everyone knows the news by now. If you don't, on December 1st T11 is releasing 100 White Centurions, and 100 Brown Wynns. Am I the only one that is kind of chuckling at this. In the words of trashman, their parodying themselves.

Also, I really really REALLY want a team member response to the following. In the newsletter, you advertised a new Jason England 1on1 tonight. Cool. But let me quote you guys on this.

"As is tradition, the 1-on-1 training section will be updated tonight at 11:00pm EST - this time with a new video from underground expert card technician Jason England."

This is a special event we are hosting FOR you guys out of our own private reserves of both decks - not a formal, public release window. Notice that it isn't advertised anywhere on the site or news section, except for this one thread. We do have a private reserve of both decks, and this has been clear since both decks became unavailable.

100 decks will be released. We have less than 700 White Centurions remaining in our warehouse - I just checked a moment ago. As this supply is our private reserve, we have and continue to use it for contests (such as the holiday contest) and special limited events like Monday night. The decks are of no use to us sitting in our warehouse - they are of use to you.

Regarding Jason - if one does not consider Jason England underground - one of the legendary card mechanics alive today along with Steve Forte, you might want to check up the definition of underground in the dictionary. His picture will be next to it. He has never released anything widely available; he has not given many lectures; he has not been visible ANYWHERE except for back rooms at conventions and in private study with his best friend and mentor, Steve Forte. If that's not underground, then it doesn't exist.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
lol
I didnt mean to make it sound like im so mature or anything.im still a teen myself.
Also,the people who run T11 are all pretty darn young so they naturally have this taste in words or how the videos are made and stuff.
As for why they put "underground" i dont even know anymore.

I didnt mean to make it sound like "you are so mature", in fact I kinda agree with you....
haha:D

Cheers friend.

Sep 1, 2007
He DOES GIGS! Correct? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he is a WORKING magician. The guy has a website., with his phone number on it. If he was such a "underground" guy, would he put his friggin number on his site. Last time I checked, you don't have to release a crap load of material to be considered a well-known non-underground magician. Half of the most well-known magicians haven't released a thing! Even if he was "underground"(Which he wasn't) he's not anymore, so it isn't right to put that label on him.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
This is a special event we are hosting FOR you guys out of our own private reserves of both decks - not a formal, public release window. Notice that it isn't advertised anywhere on the site or news section, except for this one thread. We do have a private reserve of both decks, and this has been clear since both decks became unavailable.

100 decks will be released. We have less than 700 White Centurions remaining in our warehouse - I just checked a moment ago. As this supply is our private reserve, we have and continue to use it for contests (such as the holiday contest) and special limited events like Monday night. The decks are of no use to us sitting in our warehouse - they are of use to you.

Regarding Jason - if one does not consider Jason England underground - one of the legendary card mechanics alive today along with Steve Forte, you might want to check up the definition of underground in the dictionary. His picture will be next to it. He has never released anything widely available; he has not given many lectures; he has not been visible ANYWHERE except for back rooms at conventions and in private study with his best friend and mentor, Steve Forte. If that's not underground, then it doesn't exist.

Well that clears it up for me at least.
That seems the right definition of underground.
I try not to be biased as possible and reading baymes post makes sense.

As for creepers last post.

Ok,ill use an example.
Jak sankey is mainstream(commercial,etc) and jason england is underground(independent)
Jay sankey releases effects(and he has no problem reminding us whenever he can) all over the world and are,according to him,worldwide best-sellers.there is almost not a single person on this site that doesnt know his name.
Jason england on the other hand is a more subtle artist i would say.He is just as J. bayme decribed him "He has never released anything widely available; he has not given many lectures; he has not been visible ANYWHERE except for back rooms at conventions and in private study with his best friend and mentor, Steve Forte. If that's not underground, then it doesn't exist."
You say his name is widely known.I dont know if thats true but arent the names of Steve buscemi or david gordon green well known in the film industry? Steve buscemi has appeared in many mainstream films yet he is as independent(underground) as they come.
David gordon green is a great maverick filmmaker with his own idiosyncratic vision with works like George washington,all the real girls,undertow. Yet he also stepped onto the mainstream for a little bit to release Pineapple express.
Does that mean he loses his credibility as independent?The answer is no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results