Talent Competition

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
So, yesterday night I went to my uni's talent competition as a close-up magician.
I was half an hour late, had to rush my way in and still hadn't decided which trick I would do, since I had pretty much no idea what conditions I would have to perform in.
I arrived there, and found out that most contestant were singers/dancers, so the performance area was, basically, a stage. To be honest, the layout was a bit like AGT's one, but the judge table was a wooden high one (and the public was like 15 people including the judges). However, it was probably one of the worst scenario I had to perform in.
I presented myself, and I was told I could perform in 15 minutes. After thinking really fast about what tricks I could do, I settled for a Triumph, since I can do a neat zarrow without a matte. Then, I had to rethink my patter : I had to translate it in English, and make it more interesting, as it would be the only routine I would do.

I finished my thinking about 5 seconds before I was called to perform, so my stress level was pretty high.
I had a card selected from a spread, MESSED UP my classic pass (why in the hell did I do a CLASSIC pass at the card table !?) however it flew right by (thanks misdirection!), then did a few flourishes, just to say I'm that good ;) (and just in case someone caught the pass, it would kill this idea). I chatted a bit about how this trick was shown to me in a café, and how it got me into magic, and then, the reveal. Great reactions, applause from the front (judges), the left (spectators) and the right (camera crew). I didn't even noticed the people from the left, but it was a nice feeling :p
Looking back, it went great for my spectators, even though for me it was a technical let down. Then, I was interviewed by the uni TV, and did pressure on camera :). OK, I must admit I messed up the first time, but I did it again and it still went great*. Hopefully I'll get the footage somehow.

A few thoughts : I never performed as a part of a competition (and filmed!), so my stress level was high and my skill level went WAY DOWN. I'm more used to street performing, friends/family, so I'm usually not expecting any outcome or pressure. Furthermore, the fact that I was late messed me up a little.

I'm not entirely sure if I made the cut or not, but, judging by the reactions, I think I did, so I'll tell you more at round 2 if anyone is interested !

PS : The winner will be performing his act in the uni's night club (it has a "mini stage"), so I was also wondering if such a thing as a cheap stage illusion existed ?

*: Somehow I think tricks like Pressure are really conditionned by your previous performance : if people KNOW you are good, the trick will always fly by, because they are looking to enjoy it, not to "figure it out" and heckle you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results