TAOM 2010 - Brief Report

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Hello all,

Since some of this should be covered and relates to T11, I'd like to drop a few quick notes.

First of all, I am a member of IBM Ring 60 here in Austin and see many of the people who made the show awesome on a monthly basis. Most of the local ring worked their tails off, as did many others from nearby cities. Brad Henderson, who haunts these forums and even introduced me to IBM, was among those hard workers.

• The crowd was awesome. Every level of experience was represented from the most accomplished to the newest of the new. It was all about the love of magic - not the waving of egos. People traded tricks left and right, lectures were held, and ideas bounced from magician to magician. You couldn't help coming out more educated and more passionate about magic.
  • Marcus Eddie won an award for "Best Club Magician". He deserves the awards. If you get a chance to see him perform in person, please do. His joy for being around all things magic is infectious.
  • The Buck Twins lectured. Sadly, it was a late night lecture and I had to drive back home for a few hours of sleep.
  • World class magicians Lecturing, putting on shows for us, sometimes both.
  • Something for everyone. My preferences are toward parlor / stage magic, with closeup as my means of getting into the scene or keeping my hands busy. There was no shortage of any of it.
  • The Sheraton Hotel was filled with love and joy for two days. It was spiritually nourishing to be around so many people who had so much love for magic.
There was one other T11 figure around, but only as an attendant. I'm not going to name him out of respect for his privacy. Just the same, he was a tremendous amount of fun to be around.

I met with old friends, made new friends if only for a couple of hours, and came out of it all very enriched. (Just not in wallet - beware the dealer's room. ;) )

Next Year's TAOM will be held in San Antonio. At this time I understand that Wayne Houchin is scheduled to be there, but there is always the disclaimer that things may change. Seriously. It's on the TAOM2011 site.

After my experience this year, I would absolutely have to recommend it to others.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results