"Teach Me A Trick!"

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
So I've just finished my small performance and a spectator asks me, "teach me a trick!" Obviously I'm not going to give any material away so what should I do? What is your response to that question?

I'll throw in another question to save some time and space:
What's your response to the question, "can you do that trick that [insert TV magician's name here] does? You know, the one where he [brief, vague description of a trick].."

I would love to read your responses.

Cheers,
Shanku

So I've just finished my small performance and a spectator asks me, "teach me a trick!" Obviously I'm not going to give any material away so what should I do? What is your response to that question?

The Ambitious Card Routine on Oz Pearlmans born to perform card magic pretends to let the audience in on how the trick works but really it just leads them in another direction, that may be something you could do

Oct 21, 2007
use like a bluff explaination, that usaualy works...
and for the TV magicain thing, if they ask anything about Criss Angel just say "No i cant do that, I dont use camra tricks"

I use that as an opportunity to say "Sure, all you have to do is pay attention..." and go into a variation of the ambitious card that makes them feel like they are learning until they find out, they learned nothing. Just create a hard hitting routine to work off of their words! No offense to our spectactors, but they are like sheep. Very predictable.

As for the other question, I say - "Yeah of course I can" "Lets see you do it." "But, that's plagerism. That's illegal."

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
I usually take them by the wrists and examine their palms intently while I ask, "Is your heart pure enough to withstand the awesome temptation to use magical powers for evil instead of good? Do you have the intestinal fortitude to look creation in the eye as you demand the laws of nature bend to your will? Do you have the inner peace to calm the wild and untamed forces of magic that will manifest themselves in your soul?"
If they say yes, then I look them in the face and say, "Hmmmmm. I'm afraid your nose is too big. Big nosed people can't do magic. Sorry Giganto-Nose."
That usually works.

You might consider putting a couple of very simple but effective beginners tricks into your "stable" of effects and learn to do them very well. Here's why: one day you will get asked that question by a 10 year old kid who REALLY does want to learn. We all have to start somewhere. Blow his pre-pubescent little mind with a beginners trick, then teach it to him for real. I'm not saying you do this all the time. I'm saying you should be able to do it when the moment is right.

As far as your friends asking you about the stuff on tv.... I've used this analogy for some of my close friends who are around me all the time and see a little more "behind the magic" than others:
YoYo Ma is the most amazing cellist in the world. I'm not a huge fan of classical music, but YoYo Ma can make my insides dance with that cello of his. YoYo Ma COULD play anything he wanted on his cello. But he doesn't. He selects a program, reherses it until it is perfection, then performs it. He doesn't play everything he hears every other cellist play. He picks pieces for a reason, and those are the pieces he plays.
As a magician you have a similar situation. You pick pieces to perform. Maybe even write some pieces for yourself. Make those effects your own. Then play the hell out of them. You don't do every piece of magic you see others do.
That explaination obviously won't work for everyone, but it might help your closer buddies understand your position a little better.

Holy crap this post is long.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Great tips guys. I use the bluff explanations from time to time. Depends on the trick. I'll surely be using tashfiq1993's idea about the camera tricks and MoonlightKnight's plagiarism line. As for Chase's ideas, you have some strong points but it doesn't really fit my style. I'll change it around a bit to suit my style. Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming!

Dec 28, 2007

I'll throw in another question to save some time and space:
What's your response to the question, "can you do that trick that [insert TV magician's name here] does? You know, the one where he [brief, vague description of a trick].."

I would love to read your responses.

Cheers,
Shanku

What situation is this happening? It makes a lot of difference if this is just stuff for freinds or in a performance.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
and for the TV magicain thing, if they ask anything about Criss Angel just say "No i cant do that, I dont use camra tricks"

I think we should speak respectfully about TV magicians to laymen. Bashing TV magicians because we think they use methods we don't like accomplishes nothing. When someone asks me how I did a trick, I usually say "Its a camera trick" or, if he was my assistant I say "it was a stooge". Maybe they then think that everything seen on TV isn't a camera trick or a stooge.

Sometimes "First you need to get basics down (do a difficult looking flourish and explain it very carefully)" works. Or if that person is someone I know, I explain that it is not that simple. There is a tremondous amount of sleight of hand training required, not to mention psychology of magic, history of particular effect, structural theory, presentational theory... Usually they realise that magic isn't learning tricks.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
What about if some very close friend, or even a relative, wants to know how the trick is done, and he/she wont back off. And because that someone is very close to you, and you can't turn him/her down. What do you do then?

p.s. And what if that someone is going to get mad at you, if you dont show how the trick is done?

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
again I say, "I only teach one person at a time.." I've never had a problem with turning down a friend or relative when it comes to teaching magic. If they really respect you, they'll back off.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I use that as an opportunity to say "Sure, all you have to do is pay attention..." and go into a variation of the ambitious card that makes them feel like they are learning until they find out, they learned nothing. Just create a hard hitting routine to work off of their words! No offense to our spectactors, but they are like sheep. Very predictable.

As for the other question, I say - "Yeah of course I can" "Lets see you do it." "But, that's plagerism. That's illegal."

Sorry, but that would just make you look like an ass to your spectators. You never want that.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
MoonlightKnight said:

As for the other question, I say - "Yeah of course I can" "Lets see you do it." "But, that's plagerism. That's illegal.

Sorry, but that would just make you look like an ass to your spectators. You never want that.

I'd have to agree. Plus, that's a pretty disrespectful view of your spectators, MoonlightKnight. Remember, without spectators, your art is worth jack. It seems some people are forgetting that these days...

-ThrallMind

Oct 28, 2007
I'd have to agree. Plus, that's a pretty disrespectful view of your spectators, MoonlightKnight. Remember, without spectators, your art is worth jack. It seems some people are forgetting that these days...

-ThrallMind

i disagree it depends on what kind of spectators you are preforming for, if you are preforming for older people of course you want to be respectful (they have the money :p) but if you preforming for some kids in school you can do these kind of things because their humor is wack and it will give them a good laugh and maybe they will pay attention. But not always.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
What about if some very close friend, or even a relative, wants to know how the trick is done, and he/she wont back off. And because that someone is very close to you, and you can't turn him/her down. What do you do then?

p.s. And what if that someone is going to get mad at you, if you dont show how the trick is done?
Be patient. After a while, he will understand that you are not going to tell him how that trick is done.

Sep 1, 2007
Minnesota
I usually take them by the wrists and examine their palms intently while I ask, "Is your heart pure enough to withstand the awesome temptation to use magical powers for evil instead of good? Do you have the intestinal fortitude to look creation in the eye as you demand the laws of nature bend to your will? Do you have the inner peace to calm the wild and untamed forces of magic that will manifest themselves in your soul?"
If they say yes, then I look them in the face and say, "Hmmmmm. I'm afraid your nose is too big. Big nosed people can't do magic. Sorry Giganto-Nose."
That usually works.

Wow! That is the single most awesome thing I have ever heard!

I think everyone else has really already covered how to deal with people. But there are a few methods that they haven't covered.
1) "No." (Short and simple)
2) "It took me months of practice to learn this." (That really does scare away people.)
3) "I could never explain it well enough."

Hope those help!

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Wow! That is the single most awesome thing I have ever heard!

I think everyone else has really already covered how to deal with people. But there are a few methods that they haven't covered.
1) "No." (Short and simple)
2) "It took me months of practice to learn this." (That really does scare away people.)
3) "I could never explain it well enough."

Hope those help!

I say "years" instead of "months." I've found this makes them appreciate what I'm doing a whole lot more. I was doing some stuff for my class, and someone asked to know how to do it and someone turned around to that person and said "Didn't you hear? It takes years to get it right. Just because you know how it's done, doesn't mean you can do it." I felt so good that at least some laypeople understand that the secrets are nothing.

Feb 14, 2008
This question answers itself.
Your spectator thinks its a "Trick" and not magic.
The only way he can think that way is when your performance is not so good.

You have to think for yourself, think like you're doing magic, real magic, and not any trick. Indulge with your spectator, any simple magic trick would leave someone spell bound to say anything at all. People cry, laugh, stare at each other, follow you, or just walk away when you show them the surreal.
If you don't make them feel that its magic , it isn't.
Act, talk.
They will be too dumbstruck to ask you anything. Ask you to show you this or that, or teach you. If they do, they are convinced that this is just a trick, and it can be achieved by some means of sleight of hand.
Put your act together homie. You just have to tell yourself that this is magic. Once you believe, they believe. The concept of trickery cannot crop up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results