"that thing" from ellusionist?

Nov 8, 2007
I may be in the minority on this one, but I think it's a bit hokey.

Having smoke come from your hand when you vanish something is too over the top to really be astonishing. As soon as people are stunned by the unexpectedness of seeing the smoke appear, their minds will race for an answer as to how it was possible, and I don't think it's any great mystery as to how it works. I doubt people will have much trouble arriving at the correct conclusion--that you had "some kind of smoke device up your sleeve."*

Also, I have a feeling that those who do end up getting this and taking the trouble to walk around with it strapped all around them are going to feel the need to justify it by overusing it in their performances. And using this more than once in a performance will certainly be too much.

I watched the video E has up, and I really do appreciate the thought and engineering that went into creating it. Seems like E really did their best to make what it is they were aiming for a quality product. I just think, in the end, the effect created is not going to be deceptive enough to keep an audience away from hitting on the correct method.

Matt I kind of agree with you. A puff of smoke to vanish something, or as you remove a deck of cards, etc may just be a bit over the top for your average worker, however I was thinking something else when I got mine.

My motivations for getting pure smoke was more character driven than anything else. Since I'm busy cultivating the dark gothic wizard persona, to me it makes sense that my character would have little flares of power, and I think utilizing the gimmick will work in my favor. However for your standard kid in jeans and t-shirts, yes... I can see how this may be over kill.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Is it just me or is the link to the video not to be found?

I like what I've heard Draven, it sounds a bit more practical than what I was experimenting with and the fact that you can do colored smoke with it is an awesome advantage for those of us that work in spirit theater (Bizarre & Psychic Magick).

Any idea on price?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I may be in the minority on this one, but I think it's a bit hokey.

Having smoke come from your hand when you vanish something is too over the top to really be astonishing. As soon as people are stunned by the unexpectedness of seeing the smoke appear, their minds will race for an answer as to how it was possible, and I don't think it's any great mystery as to how it works. I doubt people will have much trouble arriving at the correct conclusion--that you had "some kind of smoke device up your sleeve."*

Also, I have a feeling that those who do end up getting this and taking the trouble to walk around with it strapped all around them are going to feel the need to justify it by overusing it in their performances. And using this more than once in a performance will certainly be too much.

I watched the video E has up, and I really do appreciate the thought and engineering that went into creating it. Seems like E really did their best to make what it is they were aiming for a quality product. I just think, in the end, the effect created is not going to be deceptive enough to keep an audience away from hitting on the correct method.

I agree with you, and Draven at the same time. You really have to have a persona and a purpose to pull this off. I don't think it would be good to use it in your ACR or such. If you are trying to demonstrate certain super powers, than by all means, yes. The thing that I am thinking about is that this should be done either at the beginning of the effect, to produce something, or at the end, to make something vanish. If you do it in the middle of effect, I think this is too strong, and it will take the focus and attention away from the trick, and audience will think about the smoke for the rest of the performance, hence nullifying the effect you were originally doing.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I'll be getting this even though the price tag is absolutely horrendous. Jesus better be strapped to you somewhere making smoke come out of your hands for that price. They better have refills at a reasonable price as well. By reasonable I don't mean $50 either. A good way to use this effectively is to combine this Eric Ross' Booksmart, which is what I'll be using it for in my show.

I'll be getting this even though the price tag is absolutely horrendous. Jesus better be strapped to you somewhere making smoke come out of your hands for that price. They better have refills at a reasonable price as well. By reasonable I don't mean $50 either. A good way to use this effectively is to combine this Eric Ross' Booksmart, which is what I'll be using it for in my show.

I don't vibe well at all with your negative reactions J. If you would have bothered to read anything I've posted about this effect by now then you'd know that refills are 10 refills for 20$. Each refill will produce between 30 to 40 puffs of smoke. You don't have to be so negative about the effect.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Not negative at all Draven. I think it's absolutely stunning and applaud E for releasing it. I'm just saying that the average performer won't be getting this, which is good. It will keep it out of the hands of youtube magicians looking for a quick subscribe based off a reveal video. The Jesus line was meant to be funny. And I did read what you said...when you first posted the thread. I haven't been on since then and the price tag could have slipped my mind. Granted I could have went back and checked but I didn't. So don't take offense at what was said.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
No problem sir. Didn't mean to stir things up. In fact I have checked E every day since I saw that video in hopes of seeing it available. I really want to combine that with Booksmart. 30-40 puffs of smoke for a refill...I'm going to have to buy that right off the bat. I practice things over and over and over. Bad thing is is that also applies to gimmicked tricks that require refills. Question: Can you control how much smoke is produced?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results