The Devils picture book

Dex

Sep 18, 2007
North of France.
It's great to watch it and the tricks are all really good and clever.

But I thought it was way to hard for me and the conditions you need aren't mine (lots of lappings, angles, topit etc....)

I'm sure it will serve me well once I've gained more experience.

I am a massive fan of Derren, and did enjoy watching this video. I found the presentations fascinating, and his explanations were insightful. The thinking behind the effects is impressive, and I don't expect that I will ever perform the tricks as Derren has laid out.

I believe that he does mentions a desire against directly copying the effects somewhere within the work (although it may just have been the Introduction to Pure Effect).

The major issue with the video is the explanations : the lighting and the angles were difficult to see that which was being explained. The thinking was strong, but the delivery left much to be desired.

I think that the best thing to be taken from the video was the interaction between method and effect, the way that they can dance about each other to provide the most entertaining effects possible.

Sep 1, 2007
It was a good purchase, but not the greatest. There is a lot better material out there, you just have to find it.

Pick up the Tarbell Course in Magic, you won't be praising The Devil's Picture Book anymore.

Mitchell

This is more than likely coming from a person who either doesn't own The Devil's Picturebook, or has completely missed the fact that it's not so much about methods as about presentation and the demonstration of how method and presentation should mesh.

That's the key thinking that differentiates Derren Brown from 99% of the magicians online.

This is more than likely coming from a person who either doesn't own The Devil's Picturebook, or has completely missed the fact that it's not so much about methods as about presentation and the demonstration of how method and presentation should mesh.

That's the key thinking that differentiates Derren Brown from 99% of the magicians online.
I'm not saying it's a bad product, but it's not the be all end all of magic. I honestly don't care about methods, but this product by Derren Brown is inferior to many other products out there.

It's an above average magic product, but not the best.

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not saying it's a bad product, but it's not the be all end all of magic.

Neither is the Tarbell course, but everybody has this bizarre talking point around it where they say it's all you'll ever need even though they clearly buy a lot more beyond those books.

For me, the value of The Devil's Picturebook comes more in just getting one more insight into the mind of a performer I respect and admire. Watching the creative process in other people is absolutely fascinating to me, and the medium of DVD does that in a way that a book can't.

Neither is the Tarbell course, but everybody has this bizarre talking point around it where they say it's all you'll ever need even though they clearly buy a lot more beyond those books.

For me, the value of The Devil's Picturebook comes more in just getting one more insight into the mind of a performer I respect and admire. Watching the creative process in other people is absolutely fascinating to me, and the medium of DVD does that in a way that a book can't.
But what some magicians fail to realize is that a lot of the recently released products can be found in Tarbell.

Mitchell

Oct 9, 2007
But what some magicians fail to realize is that a lot of the recently released products can be found in Tarbell.

Ellusionist springs to mind.

DPB is fantastic, and so is Tarbell. DPB is one of those rare items that captures something that someone does so well, but which some may never see (bit of a tongue twister)

Excellent tape. I don't do any of what is taught, and probably never will, but I look at it as one of the best Videos I own.

Sep 1, 2007

Mitchell

How does that address my point in any way, shape, or form?

Ellusionist springs to mind.

Yes, because Tarbell extensively covered things like UV light magic, loops usage, and temporary tattoos in magic.

People, do your homework. Because it's embarassing for someone else to have to do it for you.

Sep 1, 2007
How does that address my point in any way, shape, or form?

Yes, because Tarbell extensively covered things like UV light magic, loops usage, and temporary tattoos in magic.

People, do your homework. Because it's embarassing for someone else to have to do it for you.

Very well said Steerpike.

This thread is a classic example of someone trying to show they know more than the next guy, then getting called on it and trying to switch the direction of the subject completley.

Luckily you are not the only person to see through such transparency in peoples attempts to be better than they are.

Simply put Derren is a genius and his material is definitely for the more intermediate/advanced performer. Like it says on the back of his book 'Pure Effect' the material is for people who would normally disregard 99% of a magic books content. Unfortuntaley not many of todays online magicians fall into this category.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results