The Kras Change!

May 31, 2008
Looks good, I would definitely buy it if it were half the price. I don't know why people are freaking out about the advertisement, it wasn't particularly funny, clever, or well-edited, but it certainly didn't lean left or right. Good job.

Perhaps you should give it to one or two members here at your discretion to write a detailed review. Draven would be excellent at it. Just food for thought.

You know who else would be really good? This member named DaveyG, I heard he really likes writing reviews, and free stuff...

...please?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Michael, I think you're trying too hard to defend your product. The ad was poor, and the other people's points here are more than valid. Also, 12 pages with credits, etc., usually goes for five to seven dollars. Asking almost ten on a site with little attention is kind of over the top. Honestly, I think the change is okay. It seems like false advertising because it is advertised so hugely. I don't think it lives up to the ad, although it's decent. Also, if it's as good as you say it is, it should've been easy to market it on a much larger scale/site.

EDIT: Also, I liked the Spring Change better as a name.

Just my opinions, not trying to be too harsh.

Ian

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Thank you for your feedback!

A question if genuine curiosity though... What makes the change merely "okay"? It's easy, very visual, justified, and magical-looking, what is it missing that makes it so weak to you? Thank you for your response!

Also, the change originally was going to be released by Vanishing Inc Magic but they became overwhelmed with other projects that had piled up and sort of put mine on the back burner. Instead, I took it to Steve Fearson and eMagic Supply because of how well he handled my last release. Some big names have seen it as well and have said very nice things about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I like the change Michael however I agree with the others on the cost $9 is a little high. Think of it this way what other colour changes are out there that are at the same price point and what do you get from them. There are many changes on this site and they are all between $5-7 what really puts your change above them. Daniel Madison has a few aswell at a few pounds each that I perfer to your change. Whilst there are a few other changes charged higher like Tony Chang's ChangE he teaches several routines and variations on them. The only other thing is the medium on which you are presenting the change. Ebooks are one of the most overpriced things on the magic market (I know it is about the material contained and not the packaging) but with so many out there you really need to offer something better than your competitors at the same price make customers want your product.

Take your Destiny effect for example it was only $8 if I remember correctly but that is easily worth much more. Although the promo material was a little misleading and the method was fairly simple they effect as a whole and the work you put in could have driven the price as high as $15 maybe $20.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
Thank you for such thoughtful feedback. This change actually has more work put into it than Destiny did... It's got the full method, angle work, clean ups, variants, applications, and two bonus effects as well as an intro, outro, and credit. The practicality and usability is what makes it worth it. But I'll let the people who get the ebook decide that, I think it's worth it personally but I'd love to see some varying opinion on this. Review copies will most likely be sent to a guy or two.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com

A question if genuine curiosity though... What makes the change merely "okay"? It's easy, very visual, justified, and magical-looking, what is it missing that makes it so weak to you? Thank you for your response!

Also, the change originally was going to be released by Vanishing Inc Magic but they became overwhelmed with other projects that had piled up and sort of put mine on the back burner. Instead, I took it to Steve Fearson and eMagic Supply because of how well he handled my last release. Some big names have seen it as well and have said very nice things about it.

I agree with D ICE R's comments. Also, the change isn't entirely motivated, but it's as motivated as changes get. I guess it's not my cup of tea.

Ian

Jul 8, 2009
I personally like the change and the ad is fine. When I watch it I don't think to myself, "I won't buy this because I am conservative, or the ad is not funny , etc. " I think do I want to learn this change. I think the ad is fine in that regards and the change is done well. As for the price--really just a business decision. If the price is cut in half to $4.50, you have to sell twice as many. If you sell more than twice as many---cut in half. If not, better off at $9. Again, that is a business decision and then people will either buy or not buy. Overall, very good though.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
I personally like the change and the ad is fine. When I watch it I don't think to myself, "I won't buy this because I am conservative, or the ad is not funny , etc. " I think do I want to learn this change. I think the ad is fine in that regards and the change is done well. As for the price--really just a business decision. If the price is cut in half to $4.50, you have to sell twice as many. If you sell more than twice as many---cut in half. If not, better off at $9. Again, that is a business decision and then people will either buy or not buy. Overall, very good though.

Thank you for your open minded feedback and I'm very happy you like it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

It's no more visual than the Erdnase change. A 'visual' change is one where you see the change occur, like the Cardini, Bertram, Snap or Revolver changes. As in, at no point is the face of the card hidden. In this change the card is bent upwards so you can't see the face, then when it comes back down and has changed. That's just a change, not a visual change.

What makes it justified? What justifies putting the card in the middle of the deck? Sure, I can come up with one, but that means the move itself isn't justified on its own.

Magical-looking? That's down to the performer. I didn't think it looked magical, I thought it looked like sleight of hand. A 'magical' looking change would be holding the card face out at fingertips and having it change right there. Which I thought of as an impossible thing, but I guess the Snap change does pretty much just that.

I have no idea how difficult it is, so I can't comment on that.

Now, all of these points may be covered by the eBook itself, but I have no way of knowing that from the ad. Which is what makes it a bad ad, other than the fact that having any form of political content skews it into being a political commentary. The ad makes the change out to be some groundbreaking thing, and then shows it and it's like, "Meh. That's not so great." Also, it bugs the crap out of me to watch a minute's worth of "ZOMG THIS IS SO AWESOME" just to see 3 seconds of the actual product. It should take no more than 20 seconds to get to the point.

Last of all, and this is just my thing, I don't like eBooks. If I'm reading something, I want a hard copy. Reading on a computer screen is annoying.

To wrap it up, though, I don't think it's a 'weak' change. I just think it isn't anything terribly new or amazing, and the ad saying it is annoys me to the point of not wanting it. Then to see it's more expensive than other changes which are better for my style and preferences, well that's just the nail in the coffin so to speak.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
Thank you for your input.

If you really watch and listen to the ad, it's hardly epic at all and it makes the change sound no greater than it is.

Any smart magician can easily justify the change, as I so when I use it.

In terms of this thread, I'm not going to sit here defending the product and I'm done posting here. You've seen the mixed opinions of others, the video which has little to do with anything except raise awareness in the grand scheme of things, and you've seen all of my information. Based on this, either buy it or pass on it. I'm sure people expect me to feel put down, broken, or "outed". Nope. I know it's a good change and I know what other well respected magicians (including numerous T11 artists who I've done the change for in person) said about it. Nothing said here is going to change that the ebook is on the market. I'm not going to pull if because of a few people who dislike it. There will never be a product today that is favored unanimously.

And now I respectfully bow out. Continue to argue if you wish.

Sep 3, 2007
I didn't vote so I don't like the change. Serious though, the card change is cool. Care to give any credits from where you got it?

I personally like that kind of change without flicking the card. Just opening/spreading out your hand above the change would be good. Or, turn your wrist down and then turn it up. The hands on aspect in your move gives something to be desired.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I personally like the change and the ad is fine. When I watch it I don't think to myself, "I won't buy this because I am conservative, or the ad is not funny , etc. "

Same here. In my reply to the OP I was just making a comment that I don't like politics in general. I'm not Republican or Democrat or anything in between really. I just didn't like the add. I don't think thats "silly" as was said by Michael, just my opinion.

It's sad Michael had enough of the thread, but I think its good he's sticking to his guns. I wish him luck on the success of the change.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
I know I said I was done posting but it sounds as though I'm being accused of something here.

Full credits are listed in the ebook, most notably it's main inspiration, The Push-In Change from Expert Card Technique by Jean Hugard and Fred Braue, which provided the basis for this change even though The Push-In is a covert change.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
Thank you my friend!

By the way, if anyone wants to see the first pre-release review of The Kras Change it's been posted on The Cafe. Sadly it's against forum rules to link you but if you want opinions before considering making a purchase... It's there :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Thank you my friend!

By the way, if anyone wants to see the first pre-release review of The Kras Change it's been posted on The Cafe. Sadly it's against forum rules to link you but if you want opinions before considering making a purchase... It's there :)

Glad to see such a great review for you!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results