The Steps of Creating a Magic Trick

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Interesting dichotomy. Do you think that the difference is between creating for performance or creating for sale? Most of my performance pieces start with the thought "wouldn't it be amazing if I could do....?" I'm inspired by a story, an idea, a prop or a routine. That becomes the base with my efforts being directed at making the effect come alive. The effect dictates the parameters and the parameters dictate the method.

I agree about the repeating old, worn out methods. That is where knowledge comes in. I know several methods for anything I do and am able to select the best method in designing the effect.

Yeah, so one challenge with working for another magician is that you have to have a variety of different effects. When I create for myself it is different to an extent. So I have 4 chair tests that close my show depending on the audience. The effect is very similar but the methods and presentation are different audiences.

There are pieces in my walk around set that I have created method first but at the moment everything in my stand up set was created effect first.

As far as method goes, I just think it is good to vary methods. Sometimes classic methods are exactly what they need.

Casual Distraction

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2014
I have realized younger children are really good at coming up with ideas. I did a simple trick involving money and candy once.
One of the kids said it would be cooler if the coin was candy. So I used one of those foil wrapped chocolate coins and a similar looking coin instead the next time. As opposed to making the coin "turn into" a Starburst.

My point is the older we get the less creative we become it seems.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results