theory11 - Saturday Night Contest : Cards As Weapons

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
The art of scaling playing cards has been one of constant fascination to both cardists and magicians alike. It is one of the cornerstones of Ricky Jay's act - and it put Ricky Smith Jr. in the record books. Tonight's contest is inspired by this concept.

Your goal is to create a video demonstrating your card throwing technique. However, we're not looking for speed - we're looking for accuracy. One idea could be scaling as many cards as possible (in a row) into a small target (e.g., a garbage bin or a hat) - or you could try for something more creative (distance, obstacles, etc.). The choice is yours.

Any technique can be used, but we're looking specifically for accuracy, distance, creativity, and difficulty of the shots. All videos can be uploaded to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Drop.io and must be posted by 11:00pm EDT tonight for judging.

The prize tonight is a dozen of our recently restocked Bicycle® Centurion playing cards. Good luck guys!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I would assume so since Ricky Jay's book "Cards as Weapons" was about card throwing, but I wouldn't take it from me, I would like to hear an answer.

You are correct that this challenge is about card throwing, simply put. Card scaling is commonly used to refer to the same - synonymous.

Dec 30, 2008
Here's my entry. 2 hours of work and I barely have anything good to show. Also it's hard to see the cards! Well, here's what I've got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_IMYkN2_g

It may be processing so the quality will be bad. :D

With a special guest!

Also while I was throwing cards at the couch, I was on an exercise bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results