This is Dynamo

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
Hey guys,

A friend just shared this video with me and I had to tell you I spent those 8 minutes with my hand on my face, is just embarrassing. I don't know how old Dynamo was about then but I do know he was nervous as f*ck. Anyway, on the other side I took this as my inspiration, if he is where he is right now is because failure is a step forward... and if that's the case in this performance I think he climb a stair.

Here's the video:

[video=youtube;VHHpHjZ9fz4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHHpHjZ9fz4[/video]

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Damn... he really sucked... hahaha, but he had charm and was kind of funny...also he had good sleight of hand...

Anyway... when I first performed on stage I sucked big time!!! and I mean really... I agree that everyone goes through this and learns a lot... he is who he is thanks to all this failures and so...

Thanks for sharing!!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
His persona in real life isn't much different now. He was in his twenties here and this performance was 3 years after his first major competition entry at the 2001 International Magic Convention, which wasn't any better.

Dynamo didn't become famous because he is an incredible magician, he became famous because of his image and he was given some incredible opportunities by the charity that funded his first DVD. Getting ahead in this world is, and always has been about who you know.

Sep 2, 2007
London
His persona in real life isn't much different now. He was in his twenties here and this performance was 3 years after his first major competition entry at the 2001 International Magic Convention, which wasn't any better.

Dynamo didn't become famous because he is an incredible magician, he became famous because of his image and he was given some incredible opportunities by the charity that funded his first DVD. Getting ahead in this world is, and always has been about who you know.

I'm not the biggest Dynamo fan, but I think that maybe putting his success down purely to "who he knows" doesn't tell the whole story. He and his manager put the hours in networking, making sure they were in the right place at the right time performing to the right people and developing a style that marked him out from the crowd. He didn't just luck out, he worked hard and it paid off. There are certainly better magicians than him, but being a professional entertainer is as much about marketing yourself as it is about talent.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
but being a professional entertainer is as much about marketing yourself as it is about talent.

No. It's not. It's more about marketing than talent. You need talent of some sort just to keep going, but there are plenty of people in the entertainment industry who aren't all that talented but have got plenty of marketing backing them up - see any manufactured pop or rock band. Marketing and branding will do far more to make people think you've got talent, than actually having talent with no marketing.

Luck also plays a big role. Yes, a performer has to grind out that networking and earn their stripes in the trenches. But it also takes luck. Everyone sees the end results, no one thinks about the huge mess of things that took place to get someone where they are at that time. Even the person in question usually doesn't realize how much pure luck played into it. You certainly have to work and work and work, but never dismiss the role luck will play in an entertainment career.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results