This makes me want to quit.

Magic is changing whether we like it or not. The Classics will always be the best, just like every other thing in the world. The old, time withered, tried and tested, things that just work. Every discipline has them. There is always a 'new school' way of doing things, this wont change.
The best thing you can do is just do what you do best, and ignore all the other stuff.

In regards to the DVD, it looks like a fun DVD to have and practice. Its the sleight of hand that will make you feel cool doing, would not work well in the real world, but for jamming. Sure.

J.

Jul 13, 2008
I totally agree. These days, for some unknown reason, people are scared off from simple. Somebody comes out with a trick that has maybe one or two simple sleights and they immediately get ribbed about how it's "so easy to figure out." People need to come to realize that magic isn't about the things you do with the cards, it's about the experience and the moment you create for the people you're performing to. Sure, knuckle-busting moves can be fun to practice, but personally I don't ever use them in real life. I always go back to the basics whenever I perform, because the basics get the better reactions. Great post.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I totally agree. These days, for some unknown reason, people are scared off from simple. Somebody comes out with a trick that has maybe one or two simple sleights and they immediately get ribbed about how it's "so easy to figure out." People need to come to realize that magic isn't about the things you do with the cards, it's about the experience and the moment you create for the people you're performing to. Sure, knuckle-busting moves can be fun to practice, but personally I don't ever use them in real life. I always go back to the basics whenever I perform, because the basics get the better reactions. Great post.

Depends on who's reviewing the DVD. If it's being reviewed by a move monkey who doesn't do professional magic, then I can see that happen. But when it's being reviewed by people who do magic professionally, then they would pretty much say it's not that good of a product.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
^^ Just as an aside, you could call me a move monkey and I'd give this a bad review. Lets not generalise the move monkeys, some of us strive to collect moves that actually work :)

Lafferty

Oct 2, 2010
I don't see what everyone has against "visual" magic. If the spectator can see a card change right in front of their face isn't that better than turning the card face down first. But of course all magic needs presentation when you are performing for other people so just saying "the card is going to change" isn't that impressive.

Apr 1, 2009
California
That theory all depends on what youre looking for, or what youre presenting. Are you wanting the illusion to be straight forward, what you see is what you get, or would you like it to build in their minds? Now, there are benefits to both. But something simple like a double lift and then top card change can be more magical than a no cover color change, because of what goes through their minds. They begin to picture all the millions of things that could've happened, rather than be told what happened. Why is the dark so scary and mysterious in horror movies? Because you're imagining what is there. If they just had the light on and michael meyers was in the corner playing ping pong, that's not as mysterious or scary. Know what you're trying to convey to your audience.

Aug 17, 2010
I don't see what everyone has against "visual" magic. If the spectator can see a card change right in front of their face isn't that better than turning the card face down first.

The problem with this often is that there's no dramatic build - there's literally no time to create any tension, any humour, or any mystery - it's over too fast.

A face-down card can change in a spectator's hands. That's strong magic. That gives you the time to build it up, and make it a miracle, rather than some empty eye candy, with no tension, no drama, no nothing but a special effect.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
What makes me want to quit is that this seven page thread harping on a magic product is still going on after at least three weeks.

I've seen great topics on performing magic last for three pages then slip off into nothingness.

(Btw, I don't actually want to quit.)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results