Those reactions, what are those?

Oct 24, 2008
Ever wondered how David Blaine got such great reactions on his tv specials? When it comes to the good reactions, I've spent considerable amount of time 'figuring it out' over years so that other performers can go out there and get those reactions.

Let me ask you this. If you really did have magic power and can produce a fireball in your hand, let's say you walked up to someone and did this right in front of their eyes, would there necessarily be a reaction like the kind Blaine gets? No. People would still be silent, maybe their mouth open, etc. So TRICKS - no matter how good they are - are not sufficient for killer reactions.

There's something else at play.

People don't want to be turned into believers; they want to turn YOU into a man with powers.

For this to happen, you've got to say or do something that makes them think you're not attempting a magic trick on them, like if you're a student you can say "i read in some ancient magic text that if you...well here let me show you....a deck of cards is the closest thing I could find to demonstrate this," this way you're a student who they may be pleased to turn into some sort of human prodigy who's into ancient secrets. It's all about psychology with these people. That is THE main part in magic, you have to lay that foundation because if you build a house (fancy tricks) without a foundation, nobody wants to live in that house.

Groups of ppl create stronger reaction because they're acting out for their friends are they're just high from the social excitement. Work my advice into that realm.

Well, it's late so I have to go now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ever wondered how David Blaine got such great reactions on his tv specials? When it comes to the good reactions, I've spent considerable amount of time 'figuring it out' over years so that other performers can go out there and get those reactions.

Let me ask you this. If you really did have magic power and can produce a fireball in your hand, let's say you walked up to someone and did this right in front of their eyes, would there necessarily be a reaction like the kind Blaine gets? No. People would still be silent, maybe their mouth open, etc. So TRICKS - no matter how good they are - are not sufficient for killer reactions.

There's something else at play.

People don't want to be turned into believers; they want to turn YOU into a man with powers.

For this to happen, you've got to say or do something that makes them think you're not attempting a magic trick on them, like if you're a student you can say "i read in some ancient magic text that if you...well here let me show you....a deck of cards is the closest thing I could find to demonstrate this," this way you're a student who they may be pleased to turn into some sort of human prodigy who's into ancient secrets. It's all about psychology with these people. That is THE main part in magic, you have to lay that foundation because if you build a house (fancy tricks) without a foundation, nobody wants to live in that house.

Groups of ppl create stronger reaction because they're acting out for their friends are they're just high from the social excitement. Work my advice into that realm.

Well, it's late so I have to go now.

I disagree with pretty much most of what you posted. Mainly the assertion that audiences inherently care about you to begin with. Also because it's based on the faulty premise that people shouting and screaming is the pinnacle of reactions.

I can get the same reactions by punching said spectator's mother or girlfriend. That's not a challenge.

The real challenge is creating a lasting meaning, and making them care.

Jan 19, 2009
i do not agree with this post at all i am sorry
im not saying that it is not informative because for some people it might be but lets be honest
you can get those reactions if you put the effort into your performance and make it a fun time for the spectators

also they do not have to believe it is magic to have fun or to enjoy it
someone once said to me 'so this isn't actually magic then' and i just replied 'no its all just trickery'
yet we still did a half an hour session still getting great reactions

because in the back of their mind they are not thinking ' wow he has powers' there thinking ' he has some good skills'

or normally 'ahhh it was up his sleeve'

and sometimes even a simple jaw drop or a confused look on there face would be a great reaction because in there head they will be thinking

'HOW THE FREEKING HELL DID HE DO THAT !'

all im saying is, you do not have to change your personality, apearence or even style of magic .....if you make it entertaining they will give you the reactions and they will have fun :D

danwhite

theory11 artist
Sep 1, 2007
There is no one set way to accomplish what you are talking about. Just keep things mysterious and not cheesy.

Feb 7, 2011
I think there is a general consensus in the magic community as to why david blaine got those reactions. I really dont think it was because he told them he reads ancient magic texts, i think you're barking up the wrong tree with this theory man.

Jul 13, 2010
Most magicians evaluate a trick by the reaction they get. For my taste, they focus too much on it.
Reaction seems to be the ONLY important part/indicator to them, but magic is so much more than that. Of course, a good reaction may be the icing on the cake, but the icing is worthless without the cake. And the cake is the general entertainment and the experience itself.

Sep 1, 2007
Magic isn't about making people believe you have "powers." Magic shouldn't be about the magician in the first place. It's about, as praetoritevong said, creating a lasting meaning. It's about those you're bringing the magic to, their experience. As soon as I begin making the magic about myself, I've lost focus on why I do magic in the first place. It's not about me, it's for those I bring it to.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Reactions come in all shapes and forms. A spectator quietly shaking his head in amazement as he walks away in astonishment to me is just as good as a scream. At the end of the day you need to ask yourself, "Did I make a positive impression on my spectator today? Were you able to brighten their day or suspend their belief for just a brief moment in time? Did they laugh with you in amazement? Did they smile and have fun?" This is what I look for as I reflect back on the performance.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I've come to the point in my magic that the reaction I want is for them to actually remember the experience positively for some duration after the effect has ended. I've had silent reactions and loud reactions but what hits me in the the gut and made me realize something is wrong is that it seems like the effect is forgotten shortly after. I'm not trying to create a religion, but I want people to remember it like I remember tricks. or songs. or movies. Not trying to get cheesy... I love loud reactions. funny. silent. I just want it to mean SOMETHING to them. Something enough to rent a space in their mind for even an hour. whether it be a funny thought. or an astonishing moment. or something cool they saw.

Mar 15, 2011
In my own opinion, magic exists to show and remind people that the world is a truly wonderful, mysterious and magical place, and people forget that, so creating a lasting impression and altering the way the look at the world in a more positive light would be my favorite reaction

Mar 14, 2011
I'm sorry to say that I do not agree with the original post. My Two Card Monte, a very simple effect, gets next to no visible reaction except for the spectator sitting at the table for five minutes just looking at the cards in their hand, and whenever they see me again, that is the trick they always want to see because it stuck with them, it probably didn't make them think I had magic powers though. And also, if you, the magician, were to walk up to any layman and produce a fireball, I think they would believe you had magic powers.

TJ

Apr 1, 2008
In order to be helpful, you should check out Tommy Wonder's his books.

I've come across his books in a friend's bookshelf, took a look at them, and he has one book that explains how to deal with difficult spectators and other problems. I'm pretty sure the book also contains tips on how to make your magic more effective.

I think the best possible reactions only happen when you can take away ANY possibility on how to do the trick in the spectators mind. They won't ever scream or freak out if they think "well,..... i'm sure that's how you did it".

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
tension. simple you lead them up and hype them up. i have done it but you said it in your post. the quiet reactions are the best, even on tv it would just get boring after the 3rd time someone dropped their jaw. always more fun to see someone jump around. when it happens to me i do try to keep a straight face

Feb 6, 2010
it depends on the audience

To be honest, I started out as an stereotypic middle high school guy that watched videos on youtube to learn card tricks. That ended about 8 months ago (after a year and a half) when I begun to take card magic into lets say a serious level. I've read "The Royal Road to Card Magic", "Expert Card Technique", and other few... Now I could say that I'm in an intermediate level in sleight of hand. But performance and getting reactions is whole different concept.

I've performed card tricks at my school for about 2 years now and as well as always the reactions are different with the kind of audience, but there are several concepts that keep constant along each performance: First of all, if you are performing to more than two people there is always going to be someone that wants to know or pretends to know how the trick works. Then there is the people that will react positively to the performance. This is in about 70% of the performances you'll do... Going straight to the point, I'll disagree with the original post, saying that a reaction doesn't involve someone screaming or running after the climax of the trick. A reaction is the feedback you get after a performance from an audience, wether is positive or negative, there is always a reaction. Now, we must remember that this is a very subjective thing to qualify, meaning if it is "good or bad", there is no way to force somebody to react in someway to a trick, everyone is different.

To conclude, I would like to say that a good reaction (I'm not contradicting my self, I'm just giving my personal point of view) is when people enjoy the moment during and after the performance, wether they smile, scream or end speechless. And if you continue to get what you consider to be a bad reaction, just learn about it and don't blame yourself. Nothing in this life is always positive or happy, and remember that we enjoy happy moments because because of the bad ones. My father always tells me that for every good thing in this universe there is at least two bad ones.

Thanks for your time.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
i think it is important not to go all out for a speechless, scream perfrormance. likewhen i perform for a client booking my for stage etc. perform as great as u ever do but give the feeling that there is so much more u can do and so much better.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Mainly the assertion that audiences inherently care about you to begin with. Also because it's based on the faulty premise that people shouting and screaming is the pinnacle of reactions.

Very true. I learnt this the hard way, but it was good.

And it is on the issue of a "Lasting moment" which we all should be focusing on (well said Prae). You need to know that those who are revered are considered Champions of their People; for those who are not Champions, you can imitate, discern and (attempt to) recreate such deeds, but know that you will still only be a fraction of the way.

But this is still part of a natural course of the growth of the Neophyte. You must watch and learn how these Champions became their People's most praised.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results