Thought of Cards Across project

Sep 1, 2007
UK
My review of the Thought of Cards Across Project.

Thought of Cards Across Project:

This is a collection of three handlings for the thought of cards across plot, from three different performers. First we have John Carey's handling, then we move onto Gary Jones version, and finally we end with Christopher Williams take on it.
All three have a couple of things in common, they are all gaffless/gimmickless and totally impromptu (obviously need a deck of cards, might be difficult without).

The basic overall effect of a thought of cards across routine is this-

From a deck, a number of cards are divided into two seperate piles (for this explanation we'll say eight a piece). From one pile the participant is asked to look through the cards and lock one into there mind, this card is to be known to them and them only. The performer now causes one card to travel across and into the other packet, the participant can count there cards and they'll find only 7, they can count the amount of cards in the other packet and they'll find 9, a card has travelled across, there thought of card.

As you can tell, this has the potential to be a truly outstanding effect. Not only are you getting inside the spectarors mind, but your also causing there card to leave the packet that's in there hand and travel across to another.
Im not too familiar with many handlings for this plot, but I do know that they often involved gimmicks/gaffs, a set-up or overcomplicated handling.
The two handlings I have previously used were Strange Travellers, and my favourite up till this point, James Browns Brainless Travellers.
Strange Travellers used gaffs and was unexaminable, though the result was a very clean thought of card across. I liked Strange Travellers but I hardly ever used it due to having to carry around the gaffs and everything not being examinable, and so even though I loved the idea of the plot, I never had one which I liked enough to use or felt was practical enough while still retaining the deceptiveness, but then came James Browns Brainless Travellers.
Brainless Travellers was great, it was completely impromptu, had a bold but effective handling and added in a second phase, and was what I considered the overall best version of this plot I had come across... until now.

Format- Pdf manuscript (also available as a book)

Price- £11.99 for the download (approx $20), £14.99 for the book (approx $28)

Available- www.magicshop.co.uk

The Pdf manuscript:

Before I go into the handlings I'd like to give some additional info and thoughts on the actual pdf manuscript itself.
The manuscript is 12 pages in all, and is well written and thorough, with multiple colour pictures to give you a visual as to whats supposed to be happening.
Christopher Williams is the one who has written the manuscript and done the pictures, and I think he's done a great job.

Overall-

A well written and easy to understand manuscript with good quality pics and thorough explanations. It's not the snazziest of looking manuscripts, but certainly one of the cleanest and best. Great work.

Now it's onto the handlings.

John Carey’s Thought of Cards Across: From one out of two packets of cards (6 per packet), a card is looked at and locked in the spectators mind. The performer causes there thought of card to travel across and into the other packet.

This is the first handling you'll come across, and also the most simplest, but least effective. If your completely new to card magic, or magic in general, then this is the one for you. A stepping stone if you will, that will hopefully lead you up to the main events.

The Good-

Impromptu
Very easy mechanics
Still achieves the required effect
Great for beginners

The Bad-

Only 12 cards total in play (not horrifically bad, I just prefer more)
Usually simple is best, but for this it might make the handling a bit see thru (to us anyway, it still flies right by laymen which is the most important thing)
Why would you want to perform this when the other handlings are superior
I myself am not keen on the counting of the cards in a part of the routine, though you could perform the count a different way so it's no biggie.

Difficulty-

If you can hold a deck of cards you can learn to do this, it really is that easy

Overall-

So we know it's easy, we know it's impromptu and we know it still delivers the desired effect but... I'd much rather spend my time working on the other handlings and perfecting them.
This is a great starter for those just starting though.

Gary Jones Thought of Cards Across Plus: Thought of cards across with an additional phase where a second card travels across, one seen and thought of by any random onlooking spectator. This routine uses two packets with 10 a piece.

This is the second handling you'll come upon and, even though only slightly harder than John Carey's, is a big step up. The mechanics of this one are simple, the routine direct, and the overall effect brilliant.
I love the fact a second card goes across, and the handling looks so clean with no funny looking moves or fiddling with cards.
You have to remember that with all this, this is completely impromptu, gaffless/gimmickless and yet you can accomplish such a clean and direct effect.
After going over this effect I thought that this is about as good as you can get for a thought of cards across... until I came whats coming up next.

The Good-

Impromptu
Still simple in it's mechanics
20 cards in total used
Second phase with a second thought of card travelling
Clean and direct handling

The Bad-

I honestly am struggling to find a negative for this, taking into account that this is totally impromptu with no gaffs/gimmicks or set-up, this is just about as good as it gets.

Difficulty-

The actual mechanics are easy, yet there is something that is considered to be a bit of a bold move, though I actually found it natural to do so you may also. The most difficult thing for this will be with us and our performance/presentational skills.
This is a step up in difficulty from the first though, and you need to have basic card handling skills, but overall still pretty easy.

Overall-

An absolutely great handling for the thought of cards across plot, being in my mind superior to James Browns Brainless Travellers, and quite possibly one of the greatest impromptu card routines possible.

Christopher Williams Thought of Cards Across: Two packets, 10 cards a piece, one 2 phase impromptu miracle.

Ok, this is THE best handling of the thought of cards across plot, I can't imagine getting any better than this while still retaining the fact of being completely impromptu, gimmickless/gaffless with absolutely no set-up.
Ive heard that this was on his Bright Ideas dvd, so for those that have that can back me up when I say that this is an absolutely fantastic handling that is extremely well routined and is very clean and direct.
There are added subtleties and convincers in Christopher Williams handling which really sets this one apart, and makes for a really deceptive, fair looking and powerful effect.

The Good-

Impromptu
Retains the simplicity of the others
20 cards used in total
Second phase with a second thought of card travelling across
Clean and irect handling
Subtleties and convincers which really make all the difference

The Bad-

I don't know of a negative for Christopher Williams handling, it's hard to imagine a thought of cards across routine improving on this one while still being totally impromptu with no gaffs/gimmicks, save for there thought of card sneaking out on it's own and fluttering itself over to the other packet and sneakily inserting itself.

Difficulty-

This is the most difficult handling, but the mechanics are not actually too difficult. I'd say this has medium difficulty due to the fact that it will require more practise and work than the others.

Overall-

This is one of the greatest impromptu card effects ive ever come across, and I'll definitely be using it. Something else I really love about this handling is the way it's routined and it just flows really nicely.
Excellent.

Teaching Overall:

Everything is very well explained and along with the pictures, makes for an easy learning experience.

Difficulty Overall:

This caters for all skill levels, you won't pick this up and realise your not ready for the material.

Complete Overall:

I consider this a must have if your even remotely interested in the thought of cards across plot. Your getting some wonderfully constructed routines which you will actually use, and for the amount of money they are asking for you really can't go wrong.
It's also nice to have the choice between downloadable and hard copy, so if you can't wait you can get the download and get straight into it, and if you like to actually have the product in your hands then there's the book.
Oh, and the download is done a bit differently than normal which I think is to stop people putting this out on file sharing programs etc, which I thinks a great idea.

Excellent! Recommended!

May 1, 2009
UK
Thought OF Cards Across Project by Christopher Williams

I cannot wait untill i receive this Thought Of Cards Across Project, i've been hearing so many good things about it. & for the price you cannot go wrong.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results