Thoughts on Criss Angel

Mar 2, 2008
I like the criss angel supernatural thing he had but not mindfreak. Hes just trying to be cool. I look at him as a actor not a magicain in a way. I find it funny that he keeps talking bout lake mead. Its like yea we get it its a lake whatever!

Nov 15, 2007
Ada Oklahoma
Joel Paschall said,"The job of the artist is to convince the world of his lie. What he creates isn't real but it is ok to enjoy it for what it is."

Criss Angel entertained me too and many viewers at home. Even though I know that some of his tricks might be camera tricks, paid audiences etc. I still respect him for what he does.

Well spoken. There are multiple views here and many of them are against Criss. Personally I don't 'like' Criss, but I don't 'hate' him either. Sure he has to many camera tricks, and majorly deceives people, but isn't that what all magicians do? They fool the hell out of the spectator(s).

-SM

Sep 1, 2007
You can often watch him doing card magic or whatever beside the "stage magic", and in cards for example he shows a good understanding and skill and he is a very very good performer. Of course, if it was camera editing or camera editing + stooges to prove there was no editing, I don't like it because then the whole thing was faked, I mean like performing for nobody but yourself, you did not carry it to the public. Use of stooges in a normal environment is of course no problem, so even some things are absurd, he has got a huge talent.
And I also like him personally, of course as a performer you often see his personality shining though, and he seems pretty simpatico to me.

Jan 26, 2008
My deal with Criss isn't that he uses stooges or actors in practically everything he does. It's the fact that he uses his undeserved success to feed his already larger-than-life ego.

I have to admit: even though I can't stand the man, I watch Mindfreak almost religiously because it entertains the hell outta me.

That's what Criss is - an entertainer. A darn good one at that. However, I can't bring myself to call him a magician.

Think... Think... Think...

Look guys, just express your opinions freely, but don't try to put anyone down or convince them that what you think is right. So Criss Angel has corny, obviously staged magic sometimes. Everyone should agree to that, not all of his tricks are 100% normal. Another thing is that he is considered a magician, he performs for people and he makes them seem happy. There are tons of people out there that would die if they missed a Mindfreak episode. Also, I have seen a few people on youtube that talk like they actually believe Criss is magical. Sad.

Think about it...

Jul 15, 2008
OKAY.........idk if you watched it or not maybe your blind but he amused me and he also amused them so next time think before you type. AND THIS MAKE ME REALLY MAD! just because a magician likes to wear black doesnt mean he's EMO please I hear a lot of ppl call him emo but to me it seems they dont know what the definition of emo is. It seems to me that you guys are so immature that just because a magician makes money at what he does and makes people think it's real you guys automatically hate him.

It looks like you guys dont know what a real magician is. Magicians are suppose to fool the mind not the eyes. He entertained me and the people he does it for and thats what his show is suppose to be. It's not for other magicians to become hecklers

I suppose you're referring to my earlier post. I didn't call the guy an emo, I said: He's 40-50 and he dresses like a 16 year old emo kid.

I don't know how you can dispute that... It's 100% correct. (Except for the beard, so lets say 90% correct)

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
The reason I dont respect Angel is because he uses all those Camera tricks and actors
His tricks are all fake
Even the ones like ambitious card routine
Saw the trick,HE faked it
Why didnt he do it for real instead of doing it for actors
Because it looks better
The real one looks fake
Would it look real if he did it with lifesavers
No?

If Brian Tudor Got a Show it would be Camera Trick free
But seeing a magician doing real tricks is not as entertaining as seeing superhero stuff
like flying and lifting cars

Nov 8, 2007
I'll just say this: forget our opinions as magicians for a moment; way too many laypeople I know are seeing right through Criss Angel and calling him out on using stooges and camera tricks. Not good.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
The reason I dont respect Angel is because he uses all those Camera tricks and actors
His tricks are all fake
Even the ones like ambitious card routine
Saw the trick,HE faked it
Why didnt he do it for real instead of doing it for actors
Because it looks better
The real one looks fake
Would it look real if he did it with lifesavers
No?

If Brian Tudor Got a Show it would be Camera Trick free
But seeing a magician doing real tricks is not as entertaining as seeing superhero stuff
like flying and lifting cars

You seem to have a strong opinion on this. I think that saying all of his tricks are fake is a bit of exaggeration. We know that some of his tricks are real.

Lol, Brian Tudor to you is like Chuck Norris.
Am I right? :)

The issue is not that criss angel is ruining magic......the issue is that he is ruining magic for other magicians.
He does things that a normal magician cannot do without having a huge set up or stooges. I am friends with many magicians and I have watched them perform for a ton of people. There is NO WAY that they could do something like criss angel in a REAL setting.
I don't think so many people should be able to see magic like they do today.
I think magic is something special that happens in your life that you can remember forever. If we keep putting magic on TV for everyone to see it WILL become popular culture....(like criss angel want's) and from there on magic will not seem as amazing nor as much of an experience as it would without people seeing magic every freakin day. Understand what I mean?
Criss Angel is a joke in my book.....I don't even do magic but I know many REAL magicians and I know what magic is supposed to feel like.
The reason I don't do magic myself is because I feel like a need to be fooled sometimes. I need that feeling that only a REAL magician can give me.
Anyways....back on topic....lol:p

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I'll just say this: forget our opinions as magicians for a moment; way too many laypeople I know are seeing right through Criss Angel and calling him out on using stooges and camera tricks. Not good.

Its true really.
Ive never liked criss angel.even before i was into magic.
And at school or at spots where i perform outside after people see me do an effect they ask if i can do a criss angel trick.And then someone in the crowd makes a comment like "yeah if he had an editing program"
or something of that nature.
and then almost 90% of the time
they all start bashing on him about how his camera tricks and etc.

And i always stay out of it because i dont really like talking bad about any performer.no matter how much i dislike him.
But the laymen themselves have lost their respect for him.

Jul 15, 2008
You seem to have a strong opinion on this. I think that saying all of his tricks are fake is a bit of exaggeration. We know that some of his tricks are real.

I'm not sure what you mean... are you saying that Criss Angel does "real" magic?

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
The issue is not that criss angel is ruining magic......the issue is that he is ruining magic for other magicians.
He does things that a normal magician cannot do without having a huge set up or stooges. I am friends with many magicians and I have watched them perform for a ton of people. There is NO WAY that they could do something like criss angel in a REAL setting.

Point taken.
I hate when people ask if I can do the thing where he levitates or something ridiculous of the kind.
Watching the show made me want to put my cards down and really think about myself as a magician. I feel I'll never be able to get those reactions from spectators with only cards. I need to do a really cool illusion or something.

Whatever, I've replied too many times on this thread.
BTW, does anyone the SUPER SECRET CODE FOR THIS WEEKS EPISODE??
Lmao!

no, but seriously?

Feb 28, 2008
I don't really dislike the man for what he does. I just don't like the way he presents himself and the way his show is presented. I don't find his character interesting and his tricks don't seem to unravel in a very entertaining way (IMHO).

But what bugs me about the show is the camera tricks because when does things that are so obviously altered, it takes away from things he does that are good. Like his levitation... there's one he does that just looks so good in a hallway that reminded me of the Shinning that was kind of beautiful, but his flying over the golf course was just absurd.

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008

No
Not Really
Have you been to Vegas?
Not everyone in Vegas is a young teenage couple
And not everyone is beautiful
Even simple and possible tricks are always set up

Watch David Blaine
His Magic is all real
The levitation was real(not the one on TV)
He did magic to dirty kids,Old Woman,Bums,Black Folk, Dirty White Man,Punks,ugly chicks,guys with shorts and no shirt.. you know Real People

Angel is doing magic to models and teenagers that wear designer clothing
That give awful responses,ect
Even commercial tricks everyone knows how to do have been altered to look real on TV

Its good entertainment
But I don't Respect him as a magician
Even if he does do "real" magic on stage
I hate it when people tell me to levitate or split someone in half
I don't do that i do Super Fast Card Magic

And Tudor Is the Chuck Norris of Magic

Tudor got bit by a snake
after seven days of pain and suffering
the snake finally died

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
I liked it... but not really.

Some things that were wrong with the show.

stoogages ( sorry for spelling )
His beard
The new way he say Mindfreak with the glowing red eyes
Theme song
photo editing
The way the camera cuts 15 during a trick
the amount he lies he tells every one.

So those are just some things of the top of my head

Jan 27, 2008
My deal with Criss isn't that he uses stooges or actors in practically everything he does. It's the fact that he uses his undeserved success to feed his already larger-than-life ego.

I have to admit: even though I can't stand the man, I watch Mindfreak almost religiously because it entertains the hell outta me.

That's what Criss is - an entertainer. A darn good one at that. However, I can't bring myself to call him a magician.
Great post banana.

-Sean

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
so i just watched the newest episode

his ego is almost as big as my.......

doesnt matter

so he cuts open a black guys head pulls out a card.
NO ONE there is doing anything exept starrring, no ambulance, no nothing, and then they dont even show what happned to the guy who got his head cut open.....who do they belive will belive this bull. I mean come on.......by the way....why was it a black guy.....i think somethings wrong there lol.....no worries.....im half black lol before someone calls me racist or so

Robc

Elite Member
Dec 3, 2007
New York City
www.youtube.com
Ok so I'm going to be very honest about his show tonight, the stuff he did was very different then anything I have seen in magic but what kills his magic or attempt of magic is the camera editing and actors he uses. Now in reality this post will not change anything about what Criss Angel is doing but as magicians he is not or will every be close to what a true magician is. I just can not wait to see in September what David Blaine has to offer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results