Thoughts on Madison’s Kill The Architect...

Dec 29, 2017
So I got a free copy of Madison's Kill The Architect e-book and there is a very interesting excerpt just from the intro:

"What I believe to be the most interesting factor in my self-qualified position, is that all of these morals where acquired during what became a twenty-year long performance art piece in which I would pretend to be a magician.What started out as a simple experiment became a full-time character-driven career. In the end, the line between Daniel Madison and I, became so blurred that trying to separate the two almost completely tore me apart. Daniel Madison does not exist."​

With this, it looks like there was a massive minimalistic overhaul of his site, getting rid of his merch, books, the only things being left are social media links and a link to the remaining sheets and decks of Madisonist cards. This just be my mobile browser not displaying things properly or I looked at it during a web design renovation (why would he release the bottom deal project not even a week ago and then take it down, for example).

But overall I have a lot of mixed feelings regarding this. As it isn’t my property to post more of, a brief summary of it is who was, which is the 17 year old cheat story with some inconsistencies to other times he has told it, how that ended up for him and where he ended up and why he decided to “Kill the Architect”. Which is also a hip hop reference too I believe as one of his Disconnect projects had him mentioning his favorite genre was hip hop.

Overall my gut feeling is that it seems like a man who recognized he reached his peak and created a unique way to fade into obscurity. I could be very wrong but a 20 year incidental performance art piece seems highly unlikely.

Reactions: 010rusty
Dec 29, 2017
Living your act, as it were, is not unheard of. Several magicians spent many years pretending to be Chinese. One of which, who’s name escapes me at the moment, was only found out after dying during a bullet catch.

And @ChristopherT

I say that because he describes the gambling incident and there are inconsistencies with every other time he has told it. I also said unlikely, but it does make the whole mannerisms of “I am Daniel Madison”, monochrome, harsh lighting, etc. that was a consistent throughout his career make more sense.

I’m not quite sure of what to make of it to be fair. A lot of variables out of his control had to go right for him to end up where he has. At what point does he decide it was a performance piece? He does go into Garcia’s character theory a bit and I know you’re a fan of that and have recommended it if I remember rightly (ChristopherT that is).

All in all it does make you ponder a bit.

Reactions: Peter Slim

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Madison is one of the best marketers in this industry currently. I'm betting he had at least a loose idea of a plan from the time he decided to release his first PDF.

Reactions: 010rusty

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I've never been a fan of Daniel Madison or his products. He's probably a decent human being but the drama that follows him around puts a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure if we ever met we'd have a good time, he seems like a decent human being. That said, this seems like some more over dramatic artsy stuff. It's very Shia LeBoef. He's making more claims that are hard to prove, so I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

I think it's completely fine to say, "You know what guys, I'm turning forty soon and I feel like I need a change of pace."

Instead we get, "Jokes on you! Everything I have ever done is an illusion. You fell for it. I am a total genius!"

Reactions: JarrettC2
Dec 29, 2017
I've never been a fan of Daniel Madison or his products. He's probably a decent human being but the drama that follows him around puts a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure if we ever met we'd have a good time, he seems like a decent human being. That said, this seems like some more over dramatic artsy stuff. It's very Shia LeBoef. He's making more claims that are hard to prove, so I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

I think it's completely fine to say, "You know what guys, I'm turning forty soon and I feel like I need a change of pace."

Instead we get, "Jokes on you! Everything I have ever done is an illusion. You fell for it. I am a total genius!"

Or an Instagram photo of a chef’s knife stabbed through the king of diamonds and most of the deck with “IM F###ING DONE” and a picture of a passport “Going on a trip, don’t care where”.

According to an email sent to Madisonist card purchasers “Madison isn’t doing well and we can’t disclose why, but moving on- US customers! Good news if you’re worried about the status of your order! we will be shipping your items this week”

...The final shipping update on April 29th said all preorders had been shipped.

Dec 29, 2017
I'm sure some people would change the word genius to something less flattering.

Some people including 90% of a certain Café that has bashed every release of his for the most part?

Fun little add on to that. Saw a Magician trashing Madison there. Checked out their material and Angle Zero + repocket was in their routine which was from Madison’s second notes?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Some people including 90% of a certain Café that has bashed every release of his for the most part?

Fun little add on to that. Saw a Magician trashing Madison there. Checked out their material and Angle Zero + repocket was in their routine which was from Madison’s second notes?

Yeah, I have owned a bunch of Madison's products. Some are decent some aren't great. I've used Angle Zero for years and I've performed a lot of his other stuff. He's got creativity and skill that's for sure but even then it's not always my cup of tea. He's not all that entertaining in my personal opinion, but I still wouldn't pass up a chance to get a selfie with him or jam for a bit.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results