Thoughts on Social Media Magic?

Jan 14, 2017
Holy crapola I found it.

Note - I have not watched anything else this guy has done. I just remember liking this video a lot (I don't even have time to watch it again now, have to go get ingredients for dinner)
That is entertaining to watch. I am a bit cynical for several reasons.
Firstly, there must be at least THREE cameramen prancing around them; which would be a major distraction to anyone whom has NOT performed on camera before. If that is not the case it was shot several times (like a Hollywood movie) with different camera setups.
And, I would imagine if I was suddenly unable to write my name or unable to blow out air I would be in a panic! She appears to be suspiciously comfortable and secure (relaxed) with him; and at least three other people surrounding them with cameras.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Cynical is the accurate word. I have to assume you have never worked with hypnosis or been hypnotized? That's not a judgment, just an observation.

As someone who has worked quite a bit with hypnosis, in a variety of scenarios, I can say with confidence that this is exactly the kind of behavior I would expect from someone in this scenario. I've hypnotized people in loud bars with people walking all around them - it's not a problem if they are invested in having the experience and are able to hear you. I don't think there's 3 cameras. I think he purposely paced the scripting and such so the cameraman would be able to change positions to get the various close up shots and pans. I know a guy in Fresno who is video enthusiast who could film this on his phone, and another guy who has cobbled together a professional style shoulder rig who could also film this solo. I am sure there are decent gaps between the changing shots that we're not seeing.

Her body language and manner of speaking indicate to me a few things. First, she's probably familiar with his work. If she's not a friend of his, I'd be surprised if she hasn't seen at least a couple of his performances. Her behavior is excited and anticipatory - she knows something cool and weird is coming and she's happy about it. The reaction of laughing at suggestions like that hitting is common. Remember that someone who is hypnotized is relaxed and comfortable by default (Doesn't have to be that way, but it almost always is for entertainment purposes). So we take this all together and what you have is someone who is looking forward to something weird happening, and then it starts happening. Her mind is basically going, "Is this when the weird starts? It is! HA! That's SO weird!"

Don't look at this as a magic demonstration. It's mentalism, and that's a different beast entirely.

Reactions: ParkinT

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
It really depends who your audience is. Super visual commercial magic works best for laymen. Single moves or applications for card mechanics. Flourishes for cardists.

As for original stuff. I think if you create something original it will stand out to one of the above mentioned audiences depending on what it is... haha

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Super visual commercial magic works best for laymen.

I'm not so sure that's true by default. I know the trend for the past few years has been "more visual = more better" but I always go back to an idea from HP Lovecraft. Paraphrased, the writer will never be able to show the reader a monster that is scarier than the one the reader is imagining. Corollary: The magician will never be able to show someone something more incredible than what they can imagine is happening.

I noticed there are countless magic tricks, and cardistry flourishes on instagram specifically. Most of the time, people perform tricks such as the acme hole and tricks from Shin Lim/Patrick Kun, etc.
But do you guys feel that performing "original" magic that no one has seen yet will make more people interested in your magic rather than performing flashy tricks that a lot of people have already seen even though they are amazing tricks?

I think performing original magic should be the basic goal of any magician whether you're only doing it for friends and family as a hobby, or especially if you're selling yourself as a working professional.

I have always thought of the instructions that come with tricks as a guideline and less as a rule of how it should be done. Learn the effect, master the moves, and then throw away the patter that comes with it. Create your own story, insert your own jokes, and when necessary rework any props to fit your own character. Performing out of the box magic as it comes out of the box is not only lazy but it stifles ones own creativity. -A sin all to many of us, myself included, are guilty of.

Also if you are going to be creating a lot of material that you think is original you may do well to read the basics cover to cover. Tarbell, Amature Magicians Handbook, Mark Wilson's Course, Card College, Erdase, etc. So much of what's being sold today by magic companies aren't really new effects per say. They are just reworkings of much older principles that were created forty, sixty years ago. It also helps with your credibility to be able to cite where specific inspirations draw source from.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I'm not so sure that's true by default. I know the trend for the past few years has been "more visual = more better" but I always go back to an idea from HP Lovecraft. Paraphrased, the writer will never be able to show the reader a monster that is scarier than the one the reader is imagining. Corollary: The magician will never be able to show someone something more incredible than what they can imagine is happening.

It is very difficult to tell a story on IG lol That is why I said what i did ;) In the real world most of my magic is a journey. I know you follow my stuff so you know that :)

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com

Great quote though! And yes I do agree with you under normal circumstances.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It is very difficult to tell a story on IG

Which is why I think magicians who focus on IG (and other short format sites) are doing magic a disservice, personally.

Magic takes time. It takes intention, it takes a story, it takes investment from the audience. Magic takes time. Most of what you will see today, which is called "magic" is just tricks. The audience perceives it as tricks. They know that it's just a physical skill executed in such a way that they don't notice it. Covert juggling.

Magic used to be important. I mean, aside from when it was shamans leading the tribes, Jean Eugene Robert Houdin used magic to stop a war. In the 40s, a performance of Out of This World supposedly effected the course of the Great War.

These days it seems "magicians" are so afraid of the power of a good magical performance that they purposely undercut themselves to be sure that everyone knows it's "just for fun".

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Which is why I think magicians who focus on IG (and other short format sites) are doing magic a disservice, personally.

Magic takes time. It takes intention, it takes a story, it takes investment from the audience. Magic takes time. Most of what you will see today, which is called "magic" is just tricks. The audience perceives it as tricks. They know that it's just a physical skill executed in such a way that they don't notice it. Covert juggling.

Magic used to be important. I mean, aside from when it was shamans leading the tribes, Jean Eugene Robert Houdin used magic to stop a war. In the 40s, a performance of Out of This World supposedly effected the course of the Great War.

These days it seems "magicians" are so afraid of the power of a good magical performance that they purposely undercut themselves to be sure that everyone knows it's "just for fun".
Great Point!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results