Thoughts on the Metal series (an overview/review)

Nov 27, 2009
I just received the first two DVDs in the Metal series and watched them. They are excellent DVDs. I don't plan to buy the third DVD because I never use gimmicks of any kind. I have nothing against gimmicks and I believe they could be extremely useful, but I find that I just never have them with me.

I have massive windows in my fingers, probably 1/16-1/8th inch gaps between my first and second fingers, and there is only one trick (the Imagine sequence of vanishes and productions) on both dvd's that I could not do because of my windows. Every other trick I could do with enough practice, and every other trick is something that I would do. This is more than I can say for In the Beginning There Were Coins, the only other coin dvd I own.

The methods are often very clever and always very practical. The Copper/Silver transpo from volume 2 sticks out in my mind as having a rather brilliant method, as well as the Impossible Production, also from volume 2. Simplex 3 Fly is the stand-out trick on volume 1, IMHO. It's quick and easy to learn, and the method is clever. (I'm biased towards the 3 Fly plot. Eric Mead is to blame for that.)

Volume 1 contains all the moves necessary to do the routines contained. Eric Jones also throws in a few goodies that show you cool ways to use whatever move he just taught so that you quickly get a sense of where a move would fit into a routine. It also gives a few routines to help you get started. Volume 2 is more routines and tips on how to make your coin work better. These routines will take a good bit more practice (and maybe a magic buddy to practice with), but they all hit hard. The tips, on the other hand, are immediately useful and can be applied to more than just coins.

I have a background in coin magic, having read Bobo's book and seen Ammar's Intro to Coin Magic when I checked it out from my library a number of years ago, but the info on the Metal series and the ideas presented are still useful and some of them are not contained in either Bobo's or the Ammar video. (I remember a surprising amount of what was in Intro to Coin Magic, probably because I tried most every trick and failed at more than half of them.) I definitely think that these DVD's are worth every Walking Liberty you might accidentally spend on them. (Please, don't reply saying you actually paid for these with a Walking Liberty when you bought them at your local magic shop, I might cry.)

One last thought. The crediting on these DVDs is astonishing. Eric Jones did his homework and if I wanted to I think I could find every move or routine in its original publication, or something close to the original publication. I don't know if I can say that about any other magic DVD I've ever seen.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results