Through and through for the first time!

Jul 13, 2009
You know what forget needles, I am going to go full crucifixion with this.

Sciffydof:

It is not that America has just discovered acupuncture, but see the last time I checked the needles didn't go through the hand or body *Suddenly gets images of Zamora pushing skewers through the bottom of his chin* THE HORROR!

First I am pretty sure if someone goes up to an acupuncturist and ask them, "Hey I want to push a needle through my hand, where is the best place to do it?" They would probably laugh at you and not help you at all. First off if they tell you and you get hurt, they may be liable, second of all as a human they'd probably think "Who in there right mind would purposely push any sharp object through their hand/palm."

Personally I think it was kind of a bad move to release a dvd, I have always been taught to learn the sideshow arts from someone who actually has experience face to face. Kind of like fire eating, I would love to learn how that works and I know there are books like Brian Brushwood's but I'd rather learn directly from him. That way if I am doing something wrong he can point it out, if I feel something that doesn't feel right I can ask him directly and in the event I catch fire someone would know what to do.

That is just my personal opinion on the subject. As an aside if you use a sewing needle, make sure you run it through a lit lighters flame, this will help sanitize it. That bit of advice comes from my mother who pierced her ears using a sewing needle.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I get what youre saying but it is basically taking a known object made for a known purpose and teaching people about it. It is like teaching people how to drive a bulldozer. Some people actually do it for a living. Since it is an expertised subject, not much laymen know how to. But there really is no secret. It is just a method and do it. I exagerrated when I said you can just go ask an acupuncturist but what I meant was that there isn't really much of a secret to this at all. Show an acupuncturist and he'll probably be like "i dont get it..."

No offense but I dont how this is an effect to be sold though...
Its just using an acupuncture needle and poking a spot without the least nerves, bones, and veins. If you ask any licensed acupunture doctor to do it, they certainly can... Did americans just discover acupuncture or something? Couldnt someone just go ask an acupuncture doctor where the spots are and there we go...
I just dont get how something like this can be marketed

Lol No we didn't just discover needles. If you go with ignorance and stab your hand with a needle the possibility of giving yourself nerve damage is highly likely, you purchase the production to learn how to safely perform the insertion and where to place the needle safely. There have been countless carnes that have hurt themselves performing this effect and your approach of carelessness scares me I recommend that everyone take heed to all safety warnings before attempting this effect, most of the carne community would back me up on this trust me.

Shane.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That is just my personal opinion on the subject. As an aside if you use a sewing needle, make sure you run it through a lit lighters flame, this will help sanitize it. That bit of advice comes from my mother who pierced her ears using a sewing needle.

I wouldn't recommend relying on a lighter flame to sanitize a needle. Use alcohol or iodine, or something that actually sanitizes.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I can't imagine all the pain that dan went through just to find the right spot :

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I can't move my hand"

"ok.... not there"

*writes in his notepad

*tries again.

But then again, maybe someone just teached him :).

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I love effects like this, but I'm sorry, this just gets me. I don't see how or why you would do it. It's painful! (from what I here). Also, it would make most specs queasy, and that's not too entertaining. But done right, I'm sure it would be a reputation maker.
As for me, I could never...NEVER...make myself do it. WAY to nervous of sticking sharp objects in my skin:D.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm considering it, as I am thinking of building a stage act that involves a section about pain tolerance and side show freaks, two subjects I've been curious about for a long time.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
This effect would work wonders but as I have said I think its like selling a professional piece of information. There is no secret, just a know how. Its like teaching a man how to drive a bulldozer. No secret, just know how. I also find it kind of annoying how its not a professional who is teaching this but someone else. Instead of an acupuncturist, its jsut a guy who knows where to poke. Instead of a construction worker, the manager teaches the driving.

This effect would work wonders but as I have said I think its like selling a professional piece of information. There is no secret, just a know how. Its like teaching a man how to drive a bulldozer. No secret, just know how. I also find it kind of annoying how its not a professional who is teaching this but someone else. Instead of an acupuncturist, its jsut a guy who knows where to poke. Instead of a construction worker, the manager teaches the driving.
Why do you pay for driving instructors, there is no secret to driving. But you still pay for them. Why? Because you want to do it properly and carefully, so you dont die.

J.

Jul 13, 2009
I'm considering it, as I am thinking of building a stage act that involves a section about pain tolerance and side show freaks, two subjects I've been curious about for a long time.

Dude this effect will not play well on stage Period. Its a thin as hell needle barely noticeable at close up. If you are going to do a stage show based on pain, just know that there is already a professional doing it for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ArSPI5Tgw
Don't click if you are squeamish

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm not building an entire show, just a section of an act. Though I can't explain why I typed stage, other than I've got lots of ideas jumbling around in my brain.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results