TnR Review - First Product Purchased

Jul 2, 2008
London, Ontario
Before I put this up here you should know that I have been doing card tricks for less than a year. I started them in May and I just fell in love with what was possible with a deck of cards. My first Purchase was Oz Pearlmans' "Born to Perform", and my second was Daniel Madisons Dangerous, both DvDs took me approximately 4 and a half months of daily practice to perform consistently. So please keep this information in mind while reading my reviews.

TNR - Credits: Mathieu Bich, Chris Kenner

Basic Effect: Audience member is asked to select a card and remember it, the card is then shuffled into the deck. Another random card is taken by the magician and torn into 4 pieces. The magician then proceeds to put the card together piece by piece and when he turns the card over, it has changed into the audiences original card.

Difficulty:
This is kind of hard for me to say, the effect wouldn't be very difficult for any person, with a few months of work behind them, to perform in an open environment. The biggest limiting factors for this trick will center around how well you control your angles and how well you can keep up the patter to the build up of the trick.

Finish: It's a very easy trick to end cleanly, I've done this about 5 times now in bars and for friends and not once have I had a problem (although I did add Daniel Madisons' favorite slight to the end of this one). If you don't know how to deal with hecklers then it might be an issue. Personally I have never had a problem with many of them as I normally involve any heckler in my second or third trick to kind of get them on my side. As long as you have some way to control these kinds of audiences then you should be fine.

Tools Taught: The gimmick is a pain in the ass to make for the first 3 or 4 times but I can make them in under 5 minutes now. Like anything else it just takes practice. I don't think you will pick up any new slights here, just some good performance ideas from Chris Kenner. Another thing I have to mention is how creative this is: I know that everyone has different tastes; however, this TnR will really make you appreciate how far Mathieu Bich thought out of the box, and this hopefully inspires you to do the same.

Teaching: First time learning from Chris Kenner and I must say he is just as good as Oz. I enjoy his off beat teaching style very much, he goes into incredible detail on what to do where and leaves no stone unturned in this one.

Final Word: I was extremely wary about making the jump to a gimmick effect. I didn't want to become one of those magicians that relies on trick decks and trick cards but I'm actually very glad I bought this. The trick itself hits hard, very hard, audiences are completely dumbfounded and rarely move after they see the card has changed, this one moment gives you plenty of time to clean up as they are normally pondering what you have just done.

Pros:
1. Easy trick, no difficult slights or hand movements
2. Teaching is fantastic
3. Trick is pretty versatile and gimmick is easy to hide until you need it

Cons:
1. You will go through a lot of cards for this one, so if you are the type of person that uses 10 different kinds of decks then I would stay away from this trick until you settle on your favorite one
2. The first few gimmicks you make will leave you frustrated and ready to knife someone
3. No performances are shown, I really don't like it when someone puts out an effect and doesn't show performances

Props to CK and MB for putting this up

Thank you for reading my first review

Thanks for the review . Sometimes it helps me to have a review done by someone who is closer to my skill level. You answered a few questions I had about the effect that had kept me from purchasing, I have been on the fence with this one for a while and I think it will go in my cart on the next go round. Thanks again...

Aug 17, 2008
First off, let me say that I've got a thing about mutilating cards...folding, tearing, etc. So I know that this trick isn't for me, but I'm curious about it anyway.

But that was an excellent review, and your thoughts on hecklers and other such topics were very good. Thanks so much for the insights, and keep up the good work!

~The Wind Wizard

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
Great review. "Daniel Madison's favourite slight"... lol i love using this move also . ;) The review left very few questions unanswered. u did a really good job

Peace
George

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results