Tricks for School

May 7, 2009
So i start high school in a couple of weeks and i want to find a couple cool tricks for my start of high school. I read casey's review of smoke and am definitely considering buying it now but it is sold out so if i do buy it i need to wait for the next shipment. Any other ideas?

Jun 12, 2009
I'm currently a junior at my high school and established myself as a magician here by doing French Kiss and Witness as my two main tricks. If you havn't checked out witness I think you should give it a try and you can also apply it in different ways for different routines.

May 7, 2009
Thanks for both responces. those are all tricks i do now but what i forgot to add in my first post is that im mostly looking for non card magic related tricks.

Jul 28, 2009
New York City
You could try something like Fraud by Daniel Garcia. I think it might work at lunchtime or something, especially if your school has a cafeteria. If it does, there has to be someone carrying a dollar.

Just a piece of advice; don't do a trick EVERY time somebody asks you. Be the one in control and just tell them "not right now." That will really make them appreciate when you actually do your magic so much more. I used to just do a trick "on command," but in the past two years I realized that I just needed to take control. As a result, people always really valued when I did magic. For example, on the last day I decided to perform in my English class and literally the entire class was just huddled around me and people were walking in from the hallway to watch me do magic. I can guarantee that wouldn't have happened if I didn't say "not right now" all those times. Hope that helps ;)

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i second mayniac.

aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnd i recommend the following tricks, they have worked the best for me.

Spongeballs!! GET A SOLID ROUTINE YOU CAN CALL YOUR OWN!!

Stealth Pen. or a different impromptu pen through dollar bit.

Rubber band magic is killer! i did like 10 minutes of it in advisory today... rocked socks.. i did Traveling Tips (stairway, just older) Linking rubber bands. and crazy mans handcuffs.

it killed.

then of course the age old card tricks.. .quick stuff. long drawn out emotional effects about your dead grandmother. don't do a whole lot for high school kids..

Aug 18, 2010
Washington DC
hey whats up kingofspades this is joe here. i started high school last year which was the start of my magic career. and quite frankly i was a noob. i was just performing lame card tricks and the big products out there like coinbite and such. i have some advice for you. study up on your magic, read some books, watch reel magic magazine, and practice practice practice. you want to go hard in school with magic you want to fool the ish out of your teachers. get some good solid routines down and go out there and perform. also do not only do card tricks!!!!!!!!!! you want to be known as MagicMan not CardBoy

May 23, 2010
Singapore
I used to perform Card Through Window in school a few years back.However , you must pick your window very carefully.I wished I could have performed Window though.

I'm watching manchurian approach right now and I can see the potential of it. I can't wait to hypnotize them :p

Also keep in mind that you shouldn't always do magic tricks at school. People will start to get annoyed. That is the lesson I learned at my first year in high school :p Now I only do magic when they ask me to or at special events.

May 31, 2008
I recommend staying away from magic for the first couple of months. I may seem like a good idea now, but trust me, you don't want to be "the magic kid." I did a lot of magic the first week or so of high school, and after a while, I absolutely hated being known as the magic guy, I wanted people to like me for me, and not magic. I haven't performed magic at school since, and plan never to do so again. Wouldn't you rather be known as "John, the guy who does magic" rather than "the guy who does magic?"

I may sound absolutely crazy right now, and honestly if the tables were turned, I would disregard your/my advice, but just trust me, you'll thank me later.

After you wait say, two months then you can start occasionally performing magic, maybe three or four times a week. Make sure you don't perform “challenging magic” (E.G.; complicated coin routines, the ambitious card routine etc.), nothing that seems like a puzzle. Teenagers will immediately see puzzling magic as a challenge, and try to find a solution instead of just enjoying the magic. That’s why visual magic is probably the best for school situations. Also make sure that the effects you perform aren’t generic effects that they’ve seen before, they’ll see you as less of a performer, and more of a guy who went down to the magic shop and wasted forty bucks. Finally, stay away from cards as much as possible, they seem more like sleight-of-hand, and less like magic. Plus, JoeStarnes is right, “…you want to be known as MagicMan not CardBoy.

Dec 26, 2009
I have been doing alot of thinking this past week about magic that can be done in a school.

One of the very first effects I ever learned in magic was the one where you have a spec pick a card and lose it in the deck. Deck is put away and they write the chosen card on a piece of paper and the paper is wadded or folded up. A lighter is taken out and the piece of paper is lit on blown out after a few seconds of burning. The ashes left from the paper are rubbed on the magicians arm and the card is revealed on the magicians arm where there was nothing prior to the effect.

I learned this effect from The Idiots Guide to Street Magic. Which is full of pretty good effects for beginners.

This effect hits super hard but this cannot be performed in a school setting the way it is written above, the way I learned it. So, I got to thinking, how can this be performed in a school? Most importantly, how can this be performed without fire?

So if this effect seems like something you would use pm me and I will share my thoughts. BTW my thoughts work well just ask worldwideme. The way I have thought to perform this can be done in any classroom because its done with something that is in most every classroom in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
I have been doing alot of thinking this past week about magic that can be done in a school.

One of the very first effects I ever learned in magic was the one where you have a spec pick a card and lose it in the deck. Deck is put away and they write the chosen card on a piece of paper and the paper is wadded or folded up. A lighter is taken out and the piece of paper is lit on blown out after a few seconds of burning. The ashes left from the paper are rubbed on the magicians arm and the card is revealed on the magicians arm where there was nothing prior to the effect.

I learned this effect from The Idiots Guide to Street Magic. Which is full of pretty good effects for beginners.

This effect hits super hard but this cannot be performed in a school setting the way it is written above, the way I learned it. So, I got to thinking, how can this be performed in a school? Most importantly, how can this be performed without fire?

So if this effect seems like something you would use pm me and I will share my thoughts. BTW my thoughts work well just ask worldwideme. The way I have thought to perform this can be done in any classroom because its done with something that is in most every classroom in the world.

THIS DRY ERASE TRICK LOOKS SO COOL!!!! i haven't yet performed in an actual high school setting but i watched shindrichs do it on tinychat and it looks so much better than ashes.

one more thing today i hard a girl tell me that when i show her magic 'it makes her day' then she asked me to perform at her 18th birthday so.. getting a rep for your magic isn't always a bad thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
The secret to doing "tricks" in school is to find those that make your teachers a supporter vs. adversary. Learn to master bits such as memory techniques (mnemonics), mathematical effects (other than psychological forces)... there's others, but the goal is to not just "show off" but to reveal how your study of magic actually helps you do better when it comes to scholastics. The more material you can find that will endear your teachers... impressing them with your intellectual prowess, the more leeway you will be given when it comes to doing the "fun stuff".

NEVER do tricks in class UNLESS your presentation can fit in (as seamlessly as possible) to the lesson and how you are able to respond to that scenario; if you've done your homework you know what the next day will be about so you can set things into place Just in Case an opportunity presents itself [Remember: when you present an effect under the right circumstances it will be seen as a miracle vs. a trick, so be patient and don't try to show off constantly. Timing is everything!]

I would not recommend any effects involving smoke, blood or even sharp objects like razors and knives such things can get you into a lot of trouble which is the last thing you need, so save such bits for off-campus situations.

Here's one for you to think about, a little challenge for you on the creative level; Develop your own Book Tests (yes, that's plural) that employs your school books... I don't mean the Hoy type BT but rather routines that are more flexible and allow you to do more than reveal words... play with it, be creative and willing to go beyond the common modes of presentation so you can have hard-core fun but in ways that actually 'teach' some of the details found in said text books. Let me give you an example;

You end up with a History Book... not only can you give the word you can describe the page and go into details about what information is on that page such as a map, etc.

A Map!? Hmmm, what do we have here?

First... you can do a "drawing Dupe" of sorts by actually making a sketch of the map or photo...

Second... have one of the group make a pencil mark anywhere on the image in the book... you do the same thing with your drawing... when they reveal their choice you then turn your image around and show the same exact location.

With but a little bit of personal application you could give tons of information on that single page, which goes well beyond any $300.00 gaffed book that's on the market (though such things can prove convenient under proper circumstances). The moral of the story is, you probably already have the information you need for doing exactly what I just outlined, so go out and make it happen; ask yourself how you can replicate this particular book test routine using only the base methods found in Annemann or Corinda.

Have fun!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results