Updates in my Magic World...

Well, less and less it has been that I have been frequenting these forums. This sudden laps in my my computer time is caunsed because of many things such as Hockey, guitar, and school. But what has been taking up the most time is magic. I have been performing on numerous occasions as of late, and have been hired for a few more.

My last performance was last month at a sort of harvest festival type deal on my towns main street. Many people came and watched me do my tricks at a booth for hourse. Some people returned with friends, families, or came back by themselve's, just to view some more stuff. I made many tips on this date because it was tons of street performers hired by the town, and tips were allowed to be accepted. I was also paid handsomely by the town. 300$ for two and a half hours of magic.

Sadly, that day came to an end and started to dawn on me that it was growing increasingly cold in the recent weeks and due to weather I was probably going to not have many gigs until it warmed again. I was sad about what I presumed to be an off-season.

When all of a sudden, two weeks later I got a call. It was an old client of mine. The faily owns Puitan clothing and had me perform at a business event. She was calling me to ask if I would perform for her again. Only this time it wouldn't be for business owners. Instead, I was hired on a more personal level. I am to do three hours of walk-around magic at her daughters Bat-Mitzfah (Spelling? I myself am not jewish and am not sure of exact spelling.) But it made me feel very welcomed and humbled that I was being called to perform on a personal level. Not only that but the RE-HIRED me. Therefor they think highly of me and I will give them my all. November 21st is the date.

But back to those feelings of a slowing down year.

But again, 3 days ago. The phone rang. It was from a woman who had seen me doing my weekly show on main street during the summer. She was thrilled with my magic and has asked me to perform on December 13th on "The CEnterville Stroll. It is basically a street in centerville that gets all lit up and has carolers and entertainers throughout. I will again be at my best.

Also, we have a high end restaurant called The Yarmouth House and I ate there for my grandmothers 60th birthday. I found the owner and dropped him my card. He and I are currently trying to work out me working there table hopping once a week for four hours. 75$ an hour plus one free 2ib lobster a week.

I am getting paid for all of these.

My last performance I am doing for free because...it's for my mom. She is an elementary school teacher. She teaches third garde and they are having a celebration the day before Thanksgiving. I don't have school that day so I will go into her school and have a station in her room and do tricks for the kids.

These events have only made me realize how much people love to be entertained. And when the economy goes bad people need that happoiness more than ever. So go out there and perform.

How about everyone else??? Any gigs???

Dylan P.

currently workin on getting a new job at a resturaunt. only 50 but then again i wont be able to be there some weeks because i am an RA in college so i have no where to live for part of the year. but im in the works of meeting the owner and setting something up there. i had a gig at a pub last week. 50$ for about 6 mins of magic. kinda sucked but heck, i got paid, and they want me to come back sometime to do some "table hopping" so we'll see how that goes.
i also had a gig with my school SA, and that was neat, got paid 220 for 2 hours of magic. so that was decent and fun.
but other than that. nothing too new.
i might do some magic at a friends frat, that would be fun to get exposure.

but sounds like your movin up man! good job on everything!

May 3, 2008
That's amazing. You're really going far with your magic. How old are you?
I don't have any gigs, but a buddy of mine and I are working on several shows for our school.

That's amazing. You're really going far with your magic. How old are you?
I don't have any gigs, but a buddy of mine and I are working on several shows for our school.

I am fifteen and I started doing magic at age 9. I have currently been performing at official gigs and events for two years and am advancing rather quickly. I have learned all my magic from scratch and have had to figure out how to do finances all by myself.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Congrats man.

You seem to be doing pretty good for yourself, getting some gigs and even a repeat customer.

Just keep doing what you're doing, it seems to be working.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
My friend's sister is having a sweet 16 and I was invited about a week ago at a real formal place.
2 seconds ago my friend calls and says I'm doing magic for his whole family, so I should bring my cards tonight.
The casualties of being a magician.

I don't mind though because I figure either way, it's a good way to test out if my routine is strong to perform for parties like these.
I plan on bringing 2 decks (some dups and gaffs), ring flight, half dollars, and a sharpie.
I should be good.

My friend's sister is having a sweet 16 and I was invited about a week ago at a real formal place.
2 seconds ago my friend calls and says I'm doing magic for his whole family, so I should bring my cards tonight.
The casualties of being a magician.

I don't mind though because I figure either way, it's a good way to test out if my routine is strong to perform for parties like these.
I plan on bringing 2 decks (some dups and gaffs), ring flight, half dollars, and a sharpie.
I should be good.

Nice.

This morning I got hired to do a second chrstmas stroll for another town.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Congrats Dude!!!

as far about me,I stop doing gigs since 1 month ago because I´m re-organizing and updating my effects, since It was 6 months since I practice new material and I started to create the Manifesto...it seems that everything is going pretty well now....

also I Have a lot of work in my actual job (architecture) I guess that in this times of crisis is better to have work to have none

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I performed at my IBM rings annual banquet this past Saturday night. It was all close up for 4 different groups of people. Each group was about 20 spectators of adults which ranged from other magicians to young children. It went very well and I received tons of compliments.

I opened with Kostya's - Warning.
Followed up with CMH and the STARGAZER.
Then I did Color Psychic Chips.
Sloppy Triumph and
closed with Bannon's Twisted Sisters.

Each set was 12 minutes long.

Didn't get paid but it was just for fun and helping out our IBM ring.

On a down note...I had to turn down a X-mas show. These people wanted a full hour of stage magic for an audience of 80+ people in a theater. I normally charge around $250 for this type of gig and lowered it to $125. They said no way. The most they would spend for a stage show was 50 bucks. I said that I understood and that I would not be doing the show. Oh well. You win some you lose some.

I performed at my IBM rings annual banquet this past Saturday night. It was all close up for 4 different groups of people. Each group was about 20 spectators of adults which ranged from other magicians to young children. It went very well and I received tons of compliments.

I opened with Kostya's - Warning.
Followed up with CMH and the STARGAZER.
Then I did Color Psychic Chips.
Sloppy Triumph and
closed with Bannon's Twisted Sisters.

Each set was 12 minutes long.

Didn't get paid but it was just for fun and helping out our IBM ring.

On a down note...I had to turn down a X-mas show. These people wanted a full hour of stage magic for an audience of 80+ people in a theater. I normally charge around $250 for this type of gig and lowered it to $125. They said no way. The most they would spend for a stage show was 50 bucks. I said that I understood and that I would not be doing the show. Oh well. You win some you lose some.
all money aint good money, but no money aint good...i no that wasn't grammatically correct...but hey go for it.....

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Cedric,

No disrespect but magicians can't just keep doing gigs free or dirt cheap. Sure you gain experience and it cuts people some breaks but once you start getting yourself out there and your name is recognized.....you can't undercut everyone else around you. It makes for a bad name and you get badmouthed. I've seen it happen.

In my area Canton, Ohio....it is not uncommon for a small stage show or parlor style for an amateur magician to pull in about $250 to $350 for the show I turned down. If you are established in my area the same show I turned down would have brought about $500 or more. So when someone tells me 50 bucks....I had to tell them that I would not be doing the show.

You also have to remember that I am an adult who doesn't rely on the income so even though I don't need the money, I wasn't going to load up my explorer, drive X amount of miles and do a $50 show.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results