Voting Open - dupes92 V.S. DaveyG - Any Effect

May 31, 2008
The voting has opened for a battle between dupes92 and me.

http://media.theory11.com/battles/battle.php?id=1265

I was quite satisfied with my patter and presentation, but I was admittedly disappointed with their reaction at the time. That is why I shrugged my shoulders at the end. I now understand that just because someone wasn't running around screaming it doesn't mean they weren't impressed.

I would love to hear criticism, and I'm sure that dupes92 would as well.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well that was a hard decision...

Not bad DaveyG, although, I must say, I've seen better from you. You seemed a little sick or something, out of your rhythm... I felt like you didn't build up the effect that much...

Dupes52. Try doing a push off double lift or something, don't blatantly use your thumb to count the cards, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE SIX INCHES AWAY FROM A WEBCAM! :rolleyes:Also, your effect had no plot whatsoever, and even if it did have a plot, I wouldn't have known because there was no patter... ugh.

May 31, 2008
Not bad DaveyG, although, I must say, I've seen better from you. You seemed a little sick or something, out of your rhythm... I felt like you didn't build up the effect that much...

I hoped someone would notice! Yes, I was quite sick at the time. I went to sleep at around 3:00 AM the previous day and woke up at about 6:00 AM. On top of that, all I had to eat was an orange soda and a bad hot dog. I was indeed sick.

So, who did you vote for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 1, 2009
I voted for davey, i liked the effect, but it obviously wasnt your best.
Honestly, I really didnt understand the point of dupes92's trick

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
DaveyG:
Your approach to the people was fearless and confident, impressive, you knew what you were doing. But when you did your trick, you twisted your arm... and that was it. It needs a stronger presentation, it needs something the audience can relate to, or a make-believe. You could have asked them if they have ever twisted something (most people have), and you once did too, but you got taught that the pain is merely an illusion, "let me show you... *performance here*" Now they can relate to what you're doing, they get emotionally involved, thus their reaction to the event will be much stronger.

Dupes:
You learnt some basics of the Ambitious Card Routine, but you had no presentation and hadn't gotten the smoothness in it yet. Pretty much everything was revealed when you gripped and the illusion was weak. However if you work some more in front of the mirror, being able to do it more smooth and secure, and build a presentation around it you'll see miracles happening in your hands, dont give up mate!

Vote goes to DaveyG

EDIT: I wanted to say that your illusion was still strong and complete DaveyG, I made it sound worthless and did not mean to do that at all, I simply wanted to give you some hints to improve it. Good job mate!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 18, 2008
Well, I voted for DaveyG in a LANDSLIDE.

Davey, yours was well filmed, well edited, and VERY well performed. I agree you could have built it up a little more, but what you did was fantastic.

Dupes92, the double was NOT smooth, but you did redeem yourself with a REALLY nice shapeshifter... Then you did it again, which was anticlimactic...

Either way, they weren't bad. I just didn't understand Dupes video.

Sep 10, 2008
I really liked Davey's performance, always good to be on the street. Not perfect, but still great to get out there.

Dupes, well, your double needs work, try learning a strike double. The best resource is Double Take (I believe it's called) with Gregory Wilson. Only $20. I loved the shapeshifter though, good work on that. But doing it again is unnecessary.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results