want a good gimmick ?

May 9, 2013
hi guys i want to buy a good practical gimmick what you guys recommend? i i did'nt buyied any gimmick yet i am in magic for 2 years now and whay you guys think about 52 shades of red by shin lim? thanks

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
hi guys i want to buy a good practical gimmick what you guys recommend? i i did'nt buyied any gimmick yet i am in magic for 2 years now and whay you guys think about 52 shades of red by shin lim? thanks

You just want to buy a gimmick? Not a specific gimmick? I think that's a good way to end up with something sitting in your drawer. There's general utility gimmicks that might be good for you if you have a notion to explore that are good. ITRs, M5s, various vanishing devices. Think about what you might want to do before you worry about getting gimmicks.

As for 52 Shades of Red - I'm curious. There's a vanish in the trailer that would be excellent for a routine I want to do but I'm not sure I could adapt it for my uses.

May 9, 2013
i dont want any levitation devices and what gimmicks you recommend for vanishing or anything that seems impoosible and leaves me clean

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
i dont want any levitation devices and what gimmicks you recommend for vanishing or anything that seems impoosible and leaves me clean

Even though I usually don't use any vanishing-devices I recommend checking out TKO 2.0 by Jeff Kaylor. In my opinion it's the cleanest and most practical vanishing-device out there.
Unfortunately it has some clothing requirements, but for me this is not a problem - just watch the trailer and you'll see what I'm talking about ;)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Formula - I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. The newest version of Pure Smoke is awesome.

TKO is good. I've seen Michael Ammar demo it live and I like it quite a bit. You'll have to practice with it to make it as good as you can - It's not going to do the work for you. Just like the Raven, you still have to block your body movements and such well to make sure it's not obvious what's happening.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Draven...just saw the email sent to me as well on the new Smoke gimmick VAPR. It was mighty tempting to pre-order. Ha Ha.

Oh...and one of my favorite gimmicks for non-walk around sets is the "Coin Deck". I pair that up with Scotch and Soda and it plays well.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
To be fair, I don't really see the point of all these "smoke" gimmicks. Sure you can do a "mysterious" color changing deck with them, but other than that people are smart and will come to conclusion that you had some device shoot puffs of smoke.

As for a gimmick.. It really depends on exactly WHAT you are looking to achieve. As far as "practical". Nothing beats putting an odd backed card in your deck and being set up for color changing deck, or any other routine that requires an odd card. Simple, Direct and to the point. Just as Vernon would say. "If you can take something out of it, then it will become a beautiful thing."

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
As I told you elsewhere BUY A BOOK!

But, if you insist on gimmicks, buy a Thumb Tip along with the Gary Darwin Books on how to use one. Master that and you might be ready to learn how to do magic.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
To be fair, I don't really see the point of all these "smoke" gimmicks. Sure you can do a "mysterious" color changing deck with them, but other than that people are smart and will come to conclusion that you had some device shoot puffs of smoke.

That would be because very few people know how to use it to its potential.

Feb 10, 2013
That would be because very few people know how to use it to its potential.

Are there any sources that teach tips on how to use these devices to their full potential? I have been interested in getting one, but I have not been willing to spend so much on something that I do not know how to utilize properly. It would be quite a big waste of money to have bought one just to see it sitting in a drawer.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
One of the most common performance problems with smoke devices is actually over-use. It isn't something to use 7-8 times consecutively on the same spectator. You should have a very specific purpose in mind for the device because it's only powerful when used sparingly. So even if you do use it correctly it may end up sitting in a drawer, waiting for a special occasion.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
And don't bother with Shin Lim's new trick. It will undoubtably be ridiculously impractical unless in certain situations.
Are you sure? Shin's material is usually impromptu and can be done surrounded.

Only buy a book if you want to do french kiss on someone who is taller than you. Other than that books are quite useless.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Are you sure? Shin's material is usually impromptu and can be done surrounded.

Only buy a book if you want to do french kiss on someone who is taller than you. Other than that books are quite useless.

Some of Shin's material has been pretty angle-sensitive and largely designed for competition/stage. In that situation, though, they are awesome. He's just willing to do a lot more preparation than some others.

Keep preaching that books are useless. It leaves better material un-corrupted for me.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Which is why I suggested something simple. IE: an odd backed card or a db backer/face card. Easy to ring in and easy to ring out, also they have lasted the tests of time. I could sit here all day naming some of the Legends who have used said gimmicks all day but it would most likely fall of deaf ears. (Doc Eason, Bill Malone, Whit Haydn, Dai Vernon, Paul Harris, Darwin Ortiz, Michael Ammar, Juan Tamariz.) I think you get the picture. But, if you are so aching to buy some super cool new gimmick than I'd tell you to buy a good book. Which book? well that depends on what you are looking for.

As for the smoke devices. Some people can make them work and others tend to treat them like a "gimmick"/gag. VAPR looks neat and the wireless feature sets it apart from the others. But, I don't really GET the point of having smoke come from a glass or object unless you are doing seances. Otherwise, it just looks rather cheesy.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
But, I don't really GET the point of having smoke come from a glass or object unless you are doing seances. Otherwise, it just looks rather cheesy.

Yeah, I've really only seen one use of a smoke device that I thought was well timed and fit the trick itself. I believe Calen Morelli used a smoke device in the very last trick of this video, where he turns water to "snow" inside a wine glass. Applications like this make more sense to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho08THCyid4

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results