Watching other magicians live...

May 7, 2010
although i wasnt inspired by it i love to watch professional magicians perform (but i dont really like stage stage magic cuz of all the angle and gimmicks, i gave up a chance to see a performance to see a crappy school talent show) when a card magician shows me something live i always enjoy it i look for some slights but normally i just have fun watching him

1 when watching a magician in a restrunt or something do you try to figure it out but keep it to yourself or just enjoy it

2 do you watch quietly or you give him/her a big reaction to help them out

i normaly give a big reaction to help them i think if i look surprised every1 will feel more relaxed to show their emotions also if i know the trick i might say want to turn that card over our something and they let me and then its like they proved me wrong
what do you think

Last edited by a moderator:
May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
I think it is very good to watch magicians live, you learn something that will benefit your performances. I personally do not figure out how they did it but I watch how they connect with the audience and what funny jokes they say etc.
30% trick
70% performance
Whenever I see magic for some reason I don't make emotion. I do not know why. It is probably because I know a lot of how everything is done and I just don't get hit hard enough in the end to make a reaction.

Good thread (It happily got me to think).

Jul 14, 2008
I would enjoy and give out the big reaction too when I see a live magician. Nobody likes a heckler, right? So, if someone gave up their magic and I was performing, he or she would probably ruin my performance.

Nov 8, 2007
If I like the performance I react to it being well done, same as I would any other live performance whether it be music, theater, dance, etc.

Even if I'm not astonished I can still be impressed--and sometimes even amazed--by how well the performer presented the effect and the reaction he got with it. If the person on stage isn't good, though, I don't fake it and pretend like they are--that just makes me look like I have bad taste.

So it all depends on the performer.

Apr 24, 2010
Usually I try to figure it out... I don't give much of a response.

I know that when I perform I love getting enormous reactions, so I think the next time I see another magician perform, I'm going to give the biggest reaction I can...

:D

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I have respect for all performing artists who get out and actually perform for real people.

I give them the response that I feel they deserve.
If it's obvious that they've practiced this trick to the point where they can do it without thinking, I will applaud, laugh, smile, and geniunely be impressed, if not by the trick, by the time and effort they've put in.
If it's obvious that they haven't put much thought into the effect, like the patter is nonsensical, or they have to think about the next move, I generally will give them a sub par reaction, like a nod of the head or something, because I'm generally not impressed by unpolished tricks.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Well It´s very rare for me to find other magicians and when I have the chance to see one live I really try to go to the show and enjoy it!

when they realize I am a magician before the show they have asked me to give criticism when it´s finished...and sometimes I just go and watch...

If the show was bad I give constructive criticism when asked and when not I just watch the show and leave and try to learn from it..

if the show is great I just go with the performer at the end and congratulate him and introduce myself...to make new friends!!

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I really enjoy watching other magicians, sometimes I get so into the patter that I forget that I'm supposed to be looking for a 'secret move'.

Mostly performers I've seen do variations of effects that I already know, and still I don't know what the effect is until a few minutes after their done performing it.

I recently watched a magician perform for elementary kids, and I was astonished with them! Between balloon making (which I still love to watch, and want to learn to do) and making rabbits come out, it was a great time.

May 25, 2010
Napa ca
I think it's asome to watch other magicains live. For one
At lest for me I look up too them so when I see the best
of the best. Do the tricks live. It's very up inspiring. I've seen when
Houchin live and other magicains at the California magic dinner
theater and so cool. All I can say is go see magicains live
it's a asome and joyful experiance.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results