What coins to use?

Aug 17, 2010
heh heh, Thanks Aguilar!

Hope you enjoyed your time in Toronto. Next time you're in my fair metropolis be sure to check out Browser's Den, a totally cool magic shop.

Jun 29, 2009
Saginaw, MI
while I was in Toronto I went to one magic shop but I do not recall its name, it was kind of in a part of town that didn't look like it was good but I had no problems walking to the subway station. Toronto is my favorite city ever, Id love to move there one day and I am thinking about trying to see dan and dave on the 29th and the Englinton (might havr spelled that wrong) and young library.

Jan 15, 2009
Hello! I would like to post a few pictures of the coins I personally use.

The first ones are silver 5 Francs Louis-Philippe Ier, from 1830, 37mm in diameter.

The second ones are silver 5 Francs Semeuse, from 1960, 28mm in diameter.

The third ones are silver Morgan Dollars, 38mm in diameter.

Hope you like them! Cheers.

Attachments

• coins2_opt.jpg
    coins2_opt.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF0986.jpg
    DSCF0986.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF0985.jpg
    DSCF0985.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 127
Aug 17, 2010
Those are some beautiful coins. Elegant.

Are those 5 Francs Louis-Phillippe coins milled on the edge? I might see if they have any at my local coin shop.

Jan 15, 2009
Those are some beautiful coins. Elegant.

Are those 5 Francs Louis-Phillippe coins milled on the edge? I might see if they have any at my local coin shop.

Hello!
Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like these coins.

Unfortunately, the Louis-Philippe coins aren't milled on the edges. They have a engravement : "Dieu protège la France", meaning "God protects France."
So they have the writing, but no milling. Personnally, it has never bothered me in my coin handling.

Hope you can stumble upon them at your coin shop, they're really beautiful coins! :)

Cheers,
Martin.

Sep 4, 2007
Chesterfield, MI
My preference are Barber Half Dollars since I use then in a specific coin magic trick. They are usually worn and soft so it works perfectly with Gadabout Coins Revisited. I've also been working with Morgan silver dollars but they can get expensive.

I do have several walking liberties that look great. In general, I stay away from the Kennedy halves as they are overused.
The older coins tell a story...

plus there is just something "cool" about working with coins that are 100 years old.

I did write a brief post about where I found good deals on Morgans
http://www.coinmagictricksblog.com/props/finding-silver-dollar/

Andy
Coin Magic Tricks Blog

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I just got 3 Morgans $19 a piece from a local coin vendor. I saw a bunch of liberties..should have picked some up! Man they are heavy, haha I'm way used to quarters and the only thing I ever used Half Dollars for was Digital Dissolve. I'm having a lot of fun with my Morgans, I'm going to switch in and out of Liberties(when I get them) and Morgans for variety. I would rather do Liberties for casual and Morgans for formal..that's just me though :D Loving the morgans.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results