What do you think?

I thought it went - clothes make the man.

This is from a materialistic viewpoint. When I interview people I usually look through what they look like on the outside.

You see - you can say ALL you want with your stories....but at the end of the day - sponges are pieces of sponge...cards are cards....your stories to many - are JUST stories if your props don't match your character and image.

And your opinion is your opinion this is just one of the many true theories in magic. It can be proved but also entirely disproved.

I am trying to get you to see how PROPS play a LARGE part in image...regardless of what you say.
What about mentalist, Cold readers, they need no props yet they are still a character and there talents fits. Yet most coldreaders have no props to "make there image"

I would love to see you pull off a kids show with a sponge ding dong prop and then tell the parents props don't matter....but what you say!

If the kids knows what that is, then it isn't your fault it's the parents. Also I would so do this if there wasn't layers and layer of ethical issues with actually doing this at a kids party so that is kind of unfair territory to walk on if you ask me. Lets keep it realistic now.

I just find it interesting that he doesn't do them - and I know many "names" that don't.

If you are talking about eugene not using a story for his magic then you are mistaken, I have seen him perform at Jeff Mcbrides wonderground and he had a story to go along with the effect he performed.
Also here is an example of him performing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adqq8gjPCsA

I mean in the effect above the thread is just thread right, wrongo it represents the entire universe.
As for the magician friend personifying cards I do that too. Look at my witness video. the Joker talks to me, Jokers can't talk but maybe this one does how else could he have known my card.
If you can't sell things to the audience so ridiculous then I do believe you haven't practiced enough.

I submit to you that you are the one who is being near sighted and have only scratched the surface of the box you are trapped in, start thinking outside of the box more. If you keep saying that sponges are just sponges, dirt is just dirt, then you sir aren't being creative enough.

Sep 1, 2007
This is from a materialistic viewpoint. When I interview people I usually look through what they look like on the outside.

But your first instinct is to judge by appearances. That is the way the human brain is wired, and anyone who claims otherwise is lying through their teeth. The best you can do is to second-guess those assumptions, hence the interview you spoke of.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm tired of words like materialism and judgment being used in a negative context.

And your opinion is your opinion this is just one of the many true theories in magic. It can be proved but also entirely disproved.

What the hell was that?

What about mentalist, Cold readers, they need no props yet they are still a character and there talents fits. Yet most coldreaders have no props to "make there image"

Now you're just splitting hairs. That's totally irrelevant.

If the kids knows what that is, then it isn't your fault it's the parents.

Well in that case remind me never to trust you within 30 yards of any kid of mine.

Also I would so do this if there wasn't layers and layer of ethical issues with actually doing this at a kids party so that is kind of unfair territory to walk on if you ask me. Lets keep it realistic now.

That is quite possibly the creepiest thing I have ever read on this board. Bar none.

If you are talking about eugene not using a story for his magic

No.

If you can't sell things to the audience so ridiculous then I do believe you haven't practiced enough.

Oh, this is rich.

I submit to you that you are the one who is being near sighted and have only scratched the surface of the box you are trapped in, start thinking outside of the box more. If you keep saying that sponges are just sponges, dirt is just dirt, then you sir aren't being creative enough.

He's asking how you get past the fact that you are handling a carved up little ball of spongy material. Thus far, you have not submitted anything practical.

In referencing Eugene Burger, you miss several points in your rush to say something you hope is profound. Morgician was saying he doesn't use sponge balls, not stories.

The issue was that perhaps sponges didn't fit in with the persona of an erudite wizard and raconteur wearing half moon spectacles and an entire dead chinchilla glued to his face.

Quote:
And your opinion is your opinion this is just one of the many true theories in magic. It can be proved but also entirely disproved."
What the hell was that?

An idea.

Quote:
What about mentalist, Cold readers, they need no props yet they are still a character and there talents fits. Yet most coldreaders have no props to "make there image""
Now you're just splitting hairs. That's totally irrelevant.

I do not see how that was irrelevant, obviously I am not thinking at your level. Please dumb it down for me.

Quote:
If the kids knows what that is, then it isn't your fault it's the parents."
Well in that case remind me never to trust you within 30 yards of any kid of mine.

that was my attempt at humor, guess it was to much of a creepy thing to say. I do believe I have a mild psychosis.

Quote:
Also I would so do this if there wasn't layers and layer of ethical issues with actually doing this at a kids party so that is kind of unfair territory to walk on if you ask me. Lets keep it realistic now."

That is quite possibly the creepiest thing I have ever read on this board. Bar none.

Get over it I am just a creepy guy. You'll never know because apparently you have kids.

Quote:
If you are talking about eugene not using a story for his magic

No.

My mistake.

Quote:

Oh, this is rich.

No, John D. Rockefeller was rich. My opinion is worth that of nothing at times apparently. Doug Henning made me believe magic is real, Jeff Mcbride made me believe magic is real. Magic being real is ridiculous thought to believe, yet these two magicians have sold it to me many times.

He's asking how you get past the fact that you are handling a carved up little ball of spongy material. Thus far, you have not submitted anything practical.

Of course I have, this discussion is about using things that fit your persona. If this is truth, this information that has been given up by morgician and everyone who has posted in this thread will be useless if they do not have a character to begin with. I have posted many different ways to develop a character in this thread.
My suggestions range from a simple fill in the blank character sheet to becoming a full blown thespian. To say that I haven't contributed anything helpful is not true, someone could find use from some of my posts.
Steerpike you radiate pompousness when you post sometimes it gets annoying.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Eh, he's just doing it because he THINKS he can get away with it again. (tho he's probably on the border of being banned a 4th time.) Don't let him get to you.

Sep 1, 2007
I do not see how that was irrelevant, obviously I am not thinking at your level. Please dumb it down for me.

You're splitting hairs. Morgician's point was that the trappings of your image communicate certain things about you. A lack of paraphernalia communicates something all its own. He was in no way saying you need things like a deck of cards or some coins.

No, John D. Rockefeller was rich. My opinion is worth that of nothing at times apparently. Doug Henning made me believe magic is real, Jeff Mcbride made me believe magic is real. Magic being real is ridiculous thought to believe, yet these two magicians have sold it to me many times.

It's amusing to me that you are quick to accuse someone of not practicing enough when you yourself are blitzing through his words so fast you didn't stop consider reading comprehension.

Of course I have, this discussion is about using things that fit your persona. If this is truth, this information that has been given up by morgician and everyone who has posted in this thread will be useless if they do not have a character to begin with. I have posted many different ways to develop a character in this thread.
My suggestions range from a simple fill in the blank character sheet to becoming a full blown thespian. To say that I haven't contributed anything helpful is not true, someone could find use from some of my posts.

I was speaking specifically of Morgician's point about props and the image they convey. You were in such a rush to say something deep that you forgot to say something useful.

Steerpike you radiate pompousness when you post sometimes it gets annoying.

Considering the way you answered a question of mine not too long ago, back atcha.

Eh, he's just doing it because he THINKS he can get away with it again. (tho he's probably on the border of being banned a 4th time.) Don't let him get to you.

Some free advice. Don't call somebody rude while you're pissing on their leg.

Mar 29, 2008

Then you are missing a LARGE percentage of who a person is - as their image, says much about them...even if it is a lie.

What about mentalist, Cold readers, they need no props yet they are still a character and there talents fits. Yet most coldreaders have no props to "make there image".

This is my point - but really, do they not use props - whiteboards, tables, their dress...all these things make character. Are you actually disagreeing with this, because if you are...I question what it is you know. Are you so flighty to ignore certain principles that are not to be proved or disproved, but understood to have various impacts on your audience. The first passage is by Hugard, and he understands this...so do many others - I find it ridiculous you are even arguing this.

You want to keep it realistic - but are arguing something that is very realistic - I refuse to have this discussion with you, as your head is in the clouds...or perhaps somewhere that doesn't smell as nice.

Did Eugene do Sponge balls with his story. A thread is pretty common an item, but "SPONGE BALLS" are a magic prop, only to be seen in this venue - not even stores that carry sponges, carry this variety of sponge. I can get thread
at Wal-mart...what section or row do I find 2" sponge balls?

You sir, are SO far off topic - you are arguing a concept that doesn't even need to be stated. My argument is that props give an impression - good or bad - you dismiss the concept that a dirty old deck of cards would find better with one character than a new deck of card? So, if I wear a tux...and have dirty cards - versus have nice new ones - WITHOUT saying a word - what impression am I leaving. IGNORE THIS or dismiss this, and your issues are much larger than misunderstanding a concept of magic...but a HUMAN concept that is obvious to CHILDREN...you obviously have problems grasping basic social cues.

Studies will show that a LARGE part (estimated 90%) of what we say doesn't come from our mouths - it is body language and visial cues - so if you are an interviewer and ONLY pick up on what is said - then you are a failure at what you do, gaining only a tenth of what is being said.

As for the magician friend personifying cards I do that too. Look at my witness video. the Joker talks to me, Jokers can't talk but maybe this one does how else could he have known my card.

Wow - your audiences must be STUPID - you acutally want them to believe your card can "talk" - maybe you do kid shows - because NO adult is willing to suspend their disbelief so far to believe your card can talk...and if they can, they need mental help. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE VIEW MAGIC FOR CHILDREN - you have much to learn in understanding what intelligent magicians have to offer, and to say that I am NOT PRACTICED, because you don't understand human psychology...hell, you don't understand basic human thought - is really a cop out on your behalf. You point the finger at me, so you don't have to point it at the man in the mirror and say, "WOW, MAYBE I AM DOING IT WRONG - PERHAPS I SHOULD TRY A DIFFERENT APPROACH".

Afterall, my educational knowledge in cognitive psychology and my 10 years of performance experience...oh and my teaching experience beside guys in books that you have read or paid to get lectured by - has taught me nothing. Sorry to waste your time.

If you can't sell things to the audience so ridiculous then I do believe you haven't practiced enough..

If you are having to "sell" your magic - or think that the mouth garbage of saying, "the jokers are talking to me" is a modern day approach to magic...then you are only fooling yourself. Your technique might be fine, but your presentations must be hell to sit through. I would LOVE to follow you at any table you worked, as people would then really be able to compare grown up magic to your childish slop you consider outside of the box thinking.

To talk about being in and out of a box, admits there is a box in the first place - I don't see boxes...but my friend, you are certainly in a box...but you are by yourself. As I have surpassed your thinking in my first few years of magic on to concepts that have allowed me to get more out of my magic. All my students that have left behind your "out of the box" thinking are finding they are performing in a more connected and real way...because if you came up to me and told me that your jokers were talking to you about what card I selected - I would think you were a nut job.

Give your head a shake - YOUR PROPS, HOW YOU HANDLE THE PROPS, YOUR DRESS, are ALL ways people see your character. The shows starts before you even say a word....if you don't realize this - I hope you do now. It will change your magic...and it sounds like it needs a change.

Mar 29, 2008
Great little read there. I like that a lotand it is true that there are only few magicians who can pick up cards and make people believe in magic. Thank you for sharing this. Did you come up with it or is it someone elses???

This was a passage from EXPERT CARD TECHNIQUE - what is considered one of the most influential books in magic. It is considered to host one of the largest collections of Charlie Miller's work, as well as many others (Vernon included). In short, the guys new what they were talking about.

It got brought to my attention when discussing modern magic popularized by David Blaine/Angel. I don't bash on this, but I think many youth don't think about character and what effects fit and don't. Anyhow, I was really curious to see how the group thought of these words that are so old, but still ring true.

I think with technology and ease of access to Youtube, Secrets Revealed on TV and magic being so popular - times have changed. Audiences are more intelligent and see magic for what it is...a trick.

Few can make people believe what they see is real - Darren Brown, in my opinion, is certainly one of them. There are few. Other approaches want to make magic fun, yet provide NO psychological outs - as this is the experience of magic away from the dark arts.

I think it is much harder to make people believe in "real" magic - but I see it a success to have them question themselves. Ammar feels the same way, when he speaks of magic. As, he knows audiences don't think he can REALLY change a 5 to a 100 dollar bill, but when they have no outs, they submit to the moment and if it lasts forever - this is the feeling of magic.

I personally don't want people to think what I do is real - just unexplainable. There is a difference.

Lastly, you got the quote wrong - it is not that people can't pick up a deck and make them think it is "real magic", it is that few can make them think that the reason is not of this world.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I think with technology and ease of access to Youtube, Secrets Revealed on TV and magic being so popular - times have changed. Audiences are more intelligent and see magic for what it is...a trick.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine saw The masked Magician on TV and pretty much said it was stupid for exposing the tricks and this friend of mine isn't a magician.

Audiences are a lot more intelligent than before, but I am sure anybody could dress up something like Card in Hand which is an extremely old trick and turn it into real magic.

The problem tho with asking most people here to build a character is that they are mostly in middle school or high school and just do stuff for friends. So if they have already been presenting everything has "cool tricks" then everybody they know will continue to think that way. Not to mention when they decide to present it in a magical or unbelievable way, it will just look silly.

I think you are missing my point - what I am saying is props do send a message.

I didn't miss your point, I was simply expressing my own. I happen to understand exactly what you're talking about, and I agree with parts of what you said, on some level.

If you think that your audiences views a dirty deck, and a new deck the same way - then that is really short sighted. It is the equal to saying - it doesn't matter what you wear - it is the person that makes the man....

I never said my audience views the two decks the same way, i'm saying that the dirty deck has it's place if you use it properly. Whether you choose to try and make it work for you should be your own business. If it works, great, you're striving for creativity and something different rather than following someone elses beliefs on a certian matter. To think that if it doesn't work for everyone else then it can't work for anyone at all is extremely close minded. If no one ever tried to break the boundries, nothing would ever advance.

I thought it went - clothes make the man. You see - maybe not in your world, but in mine, people will judge you on your appearance, first, then who you are second. When you see a guy dressed in baggy pants, fubu shirt, hair in braids, with a chain and walks with a limp...what kind of music do think he listens to?

Rap - hip hop maybe - you are not always right, but often image represents who you are.

But like I said, in reference to magic, it depends on who you play too. Clowns are often regarded as funny individuals who are simply trying to make you laugh, yet there are still people who are terrified of them. Say you're a magician, how often do you play to skeptics? Would you sit down in a room full of hecklers and do an ACR?

However, even WITH that said, I can't completely disagree because I know how true it is. I'm labeled as Gothic and often mistaken for someone who Worships The Devil & Loves Metal Music. I actually don't believe in any religion and i'm currently listening to Granuaile's Dance by The Celtic Women. For truth alone i'll quote Pike:

But your first instinct is to judge by appearances. That is the way the human brain is wired, and anyone who claims otherwise is lying through their teeth. The best you can do is to second-guess those assumptions

In reading what you've wrote Morgician, it comes off like you think people are taking this in a completely untainted real sense. Nobody goes to a show and actually believes what they're seeing is real, as much as nobody runs up to Sean Connery on the streets and thinks he's going to save the day. Our job is to make them believe it's real for the time that they're watching our performance the same way it's a Film Crews job to make them believe Tom Cruise is really a spy. People go to Movies and to Theatres to watch plays because it's entertainment. It's real enough untill the lights come back on.

You see - you can say ALL you want with your stories....but at the end of the day - sponges are pieces of sponge...cards are cards....your stories to many - are JUST stories if your props don't match your character and image.

The point is, there's no stone set guideline for what props should and shouldn't be used with what image you want to portray. Just because I can't throw a football a hundred yards doesn't mean it's impossible for someone else to do it. If we have the same character and sponges don't work for you, why the hell does that make it impossible for me to make them work if I choose the right people to play them off to?

It is like Hells Angel biker owning a pink poodle...if it happens, it is the irony - because most times - what kind of dog do they own?

You covered this with the gangster idea already. What was the point of continuing it with this?

I never said that the dirty deck CAN'T be used - I am trying to get you to see how PROPS play a LARGE part in image...regardless of what you say.

Whether I agree with your argument or not, i'm atleast making the effort to understand it. "A wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can learn from a wise answer." - Bruce Lee

If you don't - I would love to see you pull off a kids show with a sponge ding dong prop and then tell the parents props don't matter....but what you say!

Now how the hell does this apply? Just because i'm choosing a Dark Gothic-like character doesn't mean my brain can no longer function properly. I also said it depends on who you play the character to. I get the feeling you're not understanding that. If i'm playing a satanic individual, #1, no parent is going to hire me for a childs party. #2, given my character, why the hell would I accept if they were stupid enough to make the offer in the first place? Try to remember, we're talking about a character, not your own personal personality. That seemed like a very desperate attempt to try and get your point across. And a sick one at that.

Lastly - come on BandWI - first - there aren't 6 billion magicians - and second - EB is the type of magician you seem to follow steps in...with story telling and magic filled with plots. He may be considered one of the best magicians alive - after all - he does run a school with McBride on giving your magic more meaning...but, I can't speak for him and his reasons - I just find it interesting that he doesn't do them - and I know many "names" that don't.

I never said magicians ;). Who the hell cares if they do or do not use them? I'm not them, and neither are you, along with the rest of us on this forum. I'd rather not judge what does and doesn't fit my character based on what doesn't fit theirs. If that is however your choice, feel free. My puppet strings don't run down to your arms and legs.

Regardless, my main point is that certain props just don't fit character - regardless of what your personal beliefs are...because my "lay person" mind says that your prop has me thinking of who you are before you open your mouth. First impressions speak loud...and if I see clown noses in your hand and then hear your story...and the end, I think, "man, my kids would love that trick with clown noses"....or..."this guy takes sponges WAY to seriously".

If you're not going to read what I write I might aswell leave you blank posts and let you fill them in. In my first example, they don't see anything untill the first part of the script has been spoken. The script wasn't even about the sponges, the sponges are a mere representation. Hense why the smoke enhances the idea that you're distingusing light.

It is odd you are arguing so hard that sponges have a place in the man who wants to be considered in touch with the devil...as the quote you quoted me on says the EXACT opposite about cards.

I simply quoted it because I like the way it sounds. Nothing more.

Mar 29, 2008
I never said my audience views the two decks the same way, i'm saying that the dirty deck has it's place if you use it properly. Whether you choose to try and make it work for you should be your own business. If it works, great, you're striving for creativity and something different rather than following someone elses beliefs on a certian matter. To think that if it doesn't work for everyone else then it can't work for anyone at all is extremely close minded. If no one ever tried to break the boundries, nothing would ever advance.

I don't know why you feel it necessary to make this point - as it was my point. Moreover, this point further gives reason to why SPONGES, which was the original point - may not work for some characters - and I would think Gothic guys might be one of them, if you realize that or not. Again, no disrespect. You can force a square peg in a round hole if you want, I do believe that some things can work for some, and not others - but I also believe there are some black and whites. Sponges do work for me, but I am not a Goth...or whatever - However, I find it odd that a deck of cards, that can relate to Taro readings - Hugard said only few can pull off...but SPONGE BALLS are TOTALLY within the grasp of a "dark" magician. (for a lack of a better name)

But like I said, in reference to magic, it depends on who you play too. Clowns are often regarded as funny individuals who are simply trying to make you laugh, yet there are still people who are terrified of them. Say you're a magician, how often do you play to skeptics? Would you sit down in a room full of hecklers and do an ACR?

This makes no sense to me - sorry - none of it. People are afraid of clowns because of the child molester preconceived notion or the movie IT by King - yet, this once again proves my point in the visual nature of a preconceived notion...like a prop in your hand.

In reading what you've wrote Morgician, it comes off like you think people are taking this in a completely untainted real sense. Nobody goes to a show and actually believes what they're seeing is real, as much as nobody runs up to Sean Connery on the streets and thinks he's going to save the day. Our job is to make them believe it's real for the time that they're watching our performance the same way it's a Film Crews job to make them believe Tom Cruise is really a spy. People go to Movies and to Theatres to watch plays because it's entertainment. It's real enough untill the lights come back on.

You are misunderstanding me then - becuase I think the opposite - I don't think people think it to be real at all. I also don't think, unless you do a stage act or charge a ticket price, that people suspend their disbelief so easily. If you do table magic, people don't expect a show - so they are unprepared to do such a thing. If you pay a ticket price, like at the movies, you have made a commitment to engage what happens - this is why Copperfield can get away with flying on stage, but I have seen so many bar performers get "invisible" thread ripped from their ITRs as people call them on it. I think if you leave them with no outs, people are forced into submission - and if you do your job really well (like I do) then they have fun doing it, and will gladly join next time. I digress.

The point is, there's no stone set guideline for what props should and shouldn't be used with what image you want to portray. Just because I can't throw a football a hundred yards doesn't mean it's impossible for someone else to do it. If we have the same character and sponges don't work for you, why the hell does that make it impossible for me to make them work if I choose the right people to play them off to?

I disagree - some things are impossible - you can't hold your breath forever, you cant' fly on your own, you can't seem to understand how props can effect personal character and sponge balls....for someone who is Goth, seem like an odd prop. Use something else, and I bet you 100 dollars, you will get a better reaction...but more importantly, a better impact. I think it funny that you 100% believe that they "work" for you - but I ask - have you tried something else? Do you disagree, because you feel they fit - or are you afraid to see me right? As, if you used the same plot, with objects that match your style, how would they play. Tricks are tricks...I am sure people "freak out" when you do sponge balls...yet, I am certain they clash - and if you used something that matched your character...and if you tell me one more time that sponges do...PIECES OF SPONGE...match your character, then I will see that we are certainly not thinking of magic as art...but just props, tricks and methods - and then we are not on the same line of thinking at all.

Whether I agree with your argument or not, i'm atleast making the effort to understand it. "A wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can learn from a wise answer." - Bruce Lee

Here is how I feel, Bruce Lee fan:

It was obvious to the master from the start of the conversation that the professorwas not so much interested in learning about Zen as he was in impressing themaster with his own opinions and knowledge. As the Zen teacher explained, thelearned man would frequently interrupt him with remarks like, "Oh, yes, we havethat too..." and so on.Finally, the Zen teacher stopped talking and began to serve tea to the learnedman. He poured the cup full, then kept pouring until the cup overflowed."Enough!" the learned man once more interrupted. "The cup is overfull, no morewill go in!""Indeed, I see," answered the Zen teacher. "Like this cup, you are full of your ownopinions and speculations. If you do not first empty your cup, how can you tastemy cup of tea?"

Now how the hell does this apply? Just because i'm choosing a Dark Gothic-like character doesn't mean my brain can no longer function properly. I also said it depends on who you play the character to. I get the feeling you're not understanding that. If i'm playing a satanic individual, #1, no parent is going to hire me for a childs party. #2, given my character, why the hell would I accept if they were stupid enough to make the offer in the first place? Try to remember, we're talking about a character, not your own personal personality. That seemed like a very desperate attempt to try and get your point across. And a sick one at that.

I am talking about the Hugard character here - as I don't know yours - as this conversation is about the PASSAGE - and THAT performance style. If you feel you match that. I get the feeling you change character based on our audience - then this isn't character....actually, it is confusing. Sure, we act different ways in different groups, but this is letting the audience take control in performance. Moreoever, in Psychology dealing with personality disorders - they say that finding yourself is acting the same in various social circles - or you are really just trying to please everyone, but NOT being yourself. If I saw you at a bar, then hired you for my house party, and then for a kid show...and saw 3 different guys - that shows inconsistent belief...sorry man, but if you are ashamed to be your character - then perhaps you should reconsider your image or what you do. Jack of all trades...

The sponge ding dong comment was an argument to rediculum, but as always...someone tries to take it literally. Let's move on from that - you obviously missed the point. To say it is a sick attempt - you really need to get over yourself.

I never said magicians ;). Who the hell cares if they do or do not use them? I'm not them, and neither are you, along with the rest of us on this forum. I'd rather not judge what does and doesn't fit my character based on what doesn't fit theirs. If that is however your choice, feel free. My puppet strings don't run down to your arms and legs.

This is you being a condescending douche bag.

If you're not going to read what I write I might aswell leave you blank posts and let you fill them in. In my first example, they don't see anything untill the first part of the script has been spoken. The script wasn't even about the sponges, the sponges are a mere representation. Hense why the smoke enhances the idea that you're distingusing light.

I did read your words - but your words - and your props don't mix well. This is my point. THE SHOW STARTS ON IMAGE - You see them as representations - which is why I made the sponge ding dong comment - as if the prop doesn't matter, why not use anything? Oh - why not - because the prop matters - you are dong a connected and intelligent presentation with NERF BALLS...wow, very classy. Personally, I think it taints it - but I don't want to cut your strings.

I simply quoted it because I like the way it sounds. Nothing more.[/QUOTE]

This is a way to say - you agree with it - nothing more - but perhaps I read too much into your ability to pick up on critical thinking and what the point of this was.

Man - what happened to us!? I thought you got it!

Look, it's obvious neither one of us is going to change are minds. Behond that, we're just going to continue to argue the same points with different words post after post which is completely useless, and I don't know about yourself, but for me it's simply becoming a waste of time. Call it a cop if you want, but it's not. I have my views, which I think are right, :rolleyes: otherwise I wouldn't have argued them. You have yours, which like I said, I feel some are right on some level. But on the ones that I don't, i'll respectfully disagree. However, I still feel you're a pretty cool guy and like I feel about steerpike I feel in time i'll probably be able to learn something from reading your posts. Now I feel that i've said all I have to say.

... Long Live Sponge Balls! :p:D

Mar 29, 2008
Hey BWI,

I think we are arguing the same points - I just feel that some props - sponge balls or not - fit certain personas or characters better than others. I think the clean deck/dirty deck for a guy dressed prestine was a good point - anyhow, my point is not to say don't do them...(even though I don't think they fit well for a guy with your image) but to say, can you approach it in a way that allows for a more interestingn and motivated prop?

You can disagree - but remember, I wasn't trying to "WIN", I was trying to help - which is why your post shocks me. I feel I have a good grasp on magic, and I am sure you do too - but I would hope our egos wouldn't get in the way of learning. I admit when I don't know something, or haven't tried something - I just hope someone of your character would do the same.

I have found a justified reason to use sponges - I think they are a great effect - but then again, I don't wear all black and look like the Undertaker....but I do like NIN.

So yeah...long live SPONGE BALLS...unless you can find a prop that matches your choice of persona better!!

There's where are diffrences lie. You feel that the prop makes the image, and I don't. Keep in mind, I regard props and attire as two different things. It's absolutly not about being right or wrong to be honest, it's just two people with two different views. Two people of lesser understanding would have eventually turned it personal, while two people of equality can atleast try to find common ground (Wait, did that make any sense?). To be honest, I think this turned out much better than most of the other disscutions on here.

When you say "I just feel that some props - sponge balls or not - fit certain personas or characters better than others.". I think that's right, but the impression I got from what you were saying earlier was that if something didn't fit, it was an impossibility for anyone to make it work.

Of course you could approach it with a different prop, but my point was to find a way to make sponges work with this character. It's the challenge that drives me.

You do have a good grasp on magic, and i'm not disputing that. I feel like i've taken some great knowledge away from this, and I hope you may have aswell. We all have egos, be them small or large, but I would never allow mine to hinder a chance to learn anything.

I've also noticed since i've been gothic most people tend to equatiate it with The Undertaker above anyone else. I found it funny the first time someone called me that like 8 years. And i'm also a fan of Trent Reznor ;). And Better Than Ezra, not gothic in the sleightest :eek:.

What's funny, is that given how I fought for Sponge Balls, i've never once used them. Atleast this has made me consider it though ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
I guess I just believe in all the theory written by very well respected magicians on prop use and how that effects the audience.

In Strong Magic - Ortiz has an entire section on conveying the character - and one section in that section called What you USE and What you DO - he actually says in what you do, "You'll never be able to successfully give a solemn tone to Hippity Hop Rabbits" - he also talks directly about how your props convey your character in using something as simple as a pen. It makes sense, if I was a slick business man character - I would use a nice pen, perhaps made out of oak or a solid metal - where if I were someone more casual a Bic pen might due.

So - even though you don't feel props make the image - many greats before us seem to feel they have an impact, and to me...it just makes sense.

I would consider having second thoughts about using a set of sponge balls - but hey, prove me wrong - you will either gloat in your success, which I would love to hear about...or crash and burn in the misery of magic malpractice - which I would also love to hear about. Be certain not to mistake reactions in the strength of sponge balls, and the impact of the effect combined with your artisitc integrity.

Love Trent Reznor, and your pic looks a bit "Undertaker-ish" - but I don't think that is Goth.

It does frustrate me a little that you argued your point with such great conviction and effort - to never have audience tested your beliefs. Your thoughts are based on personal opinion, while mine are based on experience and research - both practical and theoretical. I find it rather insulting that you think you have a foot to stand on, I still think you are a nice guy - but this is the problem with the forum. Performance experience (you see I have done sponge balls and thought lots about it) seem to be equalize by OPINIONS based on personal belief.

You are allowed your opinion - but this goes back to EMPTY YOUR CUP, because right now...there isn't even TEA in it.

I don't think I have an ego - I think I have knowledge based in education and professional work experience - you haven't done sponge balls - but feel it would work for someone based off of what? Belief in the idea of anything that you think of will work out - very positive thinking, but perhaps not ideal.

I don't think that a prop that doesn't fit a character can be FORCED to fit a character - like you seem to state - this compromises a character. This is not to say ALL GOTH GUYS CAN'T DO SPONGES, but it is to say that you should be sure to see if your character matches your props. If you are a "goth guy" perhaps sponges aren't your best option.

Not to beat a dead horse - but there are obviously things we can still discuss.

Honestly, I can't keep doing this with you, even though yeah, there's plenty we could still discuss. The only comment I can currently muster is for when you say:

"many greats before us seem to feel they have an impact, and to me...it just makes sense."

Before our time people thought the world was flat too. Yet the horizon is only a visual illusion of what in actuality continues full circle. Let their ideas be what makes them great, and i'll find out what makes me great in due time. Regardless of whether I fail, or not.

Say what you will about it, discuss it with the wind if you desire, but I choose to try and take my leave here.

See ya round the forums man, ;).

Sep 1, 2007
Before our time people thought the world was flat too. Yet the horizon is only a visual illusion of what in actuality continues full circle. Let their ideas be what makes them great, and i'll find out what makes me great in due time. Regardless of whether I fail, or not.

That was a rather tortured comparison. Unfortunately, you're missing a point. There are five steps to mastery of a skill or skill set.

1. Imitation
2. Understanding
3. Evaluation
4. Variation
5. Innovation

You have to follow it in that order for it to work. Your analogy tells me that you want to go to steps 4 and 5 now. But I don't know if you've adequately covered 1-3. You can't rewrite the rules unless you know what they are.

Hmm, I would love to hear this "goth" presentation for sponge balls...or whatever shapes you use - seriously.

This isn't a sponge ball rutine, but during Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios I've used three plastic skulls and "brians" carved from sponge material and painted. (Cups and Balls)

You could use Sponge Ghosts for sponge ball rutine. Not that I've tried that one, just thinking on the fly.

I think really just about any effect can be re-worked to fit into any performance character. You just need to sit down and think it through.

Sep 1, 2007
I think really just about any effect can be re-worked to fit into any performance character. You just need to sit down and think it through.

Okay then. Suppose we have someone playing the part of an adventurer/yogi who has traveled extensively to the Far East and frames his effects as ancient secrets of yogic disciplines, meditation, and martial arts.

Now give him a reason to do a sponge ball routine.

Wow - lots has gone on since I have posted this.

I was hoping one poor sap that was not well read would think this was mine and bag on me for it. It is funny how people assume the worst.

I am curious if you are calling me a poor sap or not well read?

I was speaking with Mark Wilson - the man that popularized the Svengali deck and made it legendary with his routine - anyhow, he has been doing magic for 50 years and he wondered if Blaine might have read these words from this legendary text and decided to create his TV persona.
I think Mark certainly has had a huge impact on the magic world. I spoke to him last weekend in vegas. Though not about Blaine. It's hard to say where Blaine came up with his half stoned street "normal guy" persona. I will say focusing on the spectators reactions and not his magic was brilliant.

It is odd to see someone doing THREAD or STIGMATA - but think they are comedy magicians...and vice versa - a kid that is Goth looking doing sponge balls or triumph.
I will agree that Stigmatta or Thread aren't comedy pieces. They do kind of fitt oddly into someone's act who is known for a lighter approach. However it really does depend greatly on how it gets presented. I've used a version of tripumph to open my act by presenting it as a traditional piece of "magic". Pure slight of hand. Then segway into ..."things that aren't magic... but you'd wish they were. " It really just depends on how much homework you are willing to commit to when designing your act and persona.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results