What inspires to create something new ?

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Well, i recently couldn't find any trick that suit me. So i tried to create something based on something i already know. i just want to know,well, what inspires you guyz to create something. I personally watch other professional magicians perform their card effect and i tried to re-create that effect using simpler methods ...

Jul 13, 2009
The thing that most influence the creation of magic for me, are the following:
Music
Subculture
Movies
Mythology

May 14, 2009
France
Personally i don't think watching other magicians is the best way to get inspiration.

Ok, you will probably create new ways to achieve an effect but you won't create new effects.

My prefered way to get inspiration is to listen to music with my cards in my hands and to imagine what trick i could do while listening to this music.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
My artistic nature. Seriously. I find anything can inspire me at times. Music and movies always help to (the Illusionist and the Prestige always really inspire me).

Cheers

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I like to try and recreate occurrences in every day life.

For example when you are paying from something you think you handed the cashier a 20 but you really only handed them a 10. It takes you a few seconds but you finally realise you were at fault.

Now all I want to do is create an effect where someone thinks of a friend and they call them in the middle of my stage set.

Hell its a pipe dream but I will get there.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Think of something you'd like to see in a magic trick. Then work on a way to achieve it.

Take any plot in magic, and try to come up with a handling.

Let the inspiration come to you. A lot of people will say music and movies and etc, and it's all true, but inspiration is just inspiration.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I never perform effects straight out of a book or DVD.

Everytime I get a learn a new effect, I will either change the handling or the patter, and this process of playing around with such, is how I create effects for myself.

My inspiration mainly comes from my desire to be different.
You are an artist, and artists express themselves through whatever instrument they use.

Jan 1, 2010
First, how about buying something you think you will not use to improve a current effect?
For example, royal flash by JB magic.
I almost sold it.
In fact, someone wanted to buy it and I replied it was no longer for sale.
Why?
One of my favorite effects is a version of End of Story by the great Bill Malone...Bill Malone.....Bill malone!

Since the gaff in Royal flash basically shows 4 jacks change into 1, I added it as my kicker.
IMHO, it is very difficult to come up with something totally new, but we should always be looking to improve else stagnation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results