What is Theory11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2008
I agree entirely with Mike. If Theory 11 says " this" than "this" shoud be what happens. Perception is one thing, and I agree that presentation is almost all of the influence need for a spectator to see one thing as another, however, this isn't always the case.
Edward

If you could sell an effect on what a spectator might see than we would all be millionaires.

Palm to face

I am through arguing with you tonight, you are thicker then blood.

EDIT

Perception is one thing, and I agree that presentation is almost all of the influence need for a spectator to see one thing as another, however, this isn't always the case.

Finish the thought please.

to think that this is a perfect world where stores and media will not lie to you or withhold information from you is a pipe dream.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Finish the thought please.

to think that this is a perfect world where stores and media will not lie to you or withhold information from you is a pipe dream.

Nexus all magic companies lie, but theory11 prides themselves on being the next step the 11th theory therefore their should be no lies.

-Michael

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Control is another good example of false advertising http://www.theory11.com/tricks/control.php Because the effect isn’t shown completely, the camera cuts off where theory11 doesn’t want you to see, yet all the spectators see it in performance. So after getting Control, I was disappointed with the effect. Even more, I was disappointed with the way theory11 had deceived me and all of it’s other customers.

I Have Not The Slightest Clue Of What You Are talking About. Control Is One Of The Strongest Effects I Know, And Yes, I DO PERFORM IT. Then again It Needs Strong Presentation, and if you don't get reactions like I get or like the ones in the preview... That Is More Of A... "You" Problem... Don't You Think?

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
I Have Not The Slightest Clue Of What You Are talking About. Control Is One Of The Strongest Effects I Know, And Yes, I DO PERFORM IT. Then again It Needs Strong Presentation, and if you don't get reactions like I get or like the ones in the preview... That Is More Of A... "You" Problem... Don't You Think?

Once again I am not talking about the effects themselves I am talking about the advertising of said effects.

-Michael

Takes long hard drag on cigarette,

Do you even read my post all magic companies LIE. Theory is not an exception to this rule. Do you have something to offer that is better? I didn't think so. But that isn;t the original topic you are pissed that you spent 20 bucks (get a job) on a great effect that didn't have a perfect reveal.
If you are saying that there is somewhere that doesn't lie and try to get you to by there products please point them out.

Your signature
There are no limitations to the mind except those which we acknowledge. Both poverty and riches are an offspring of thought.

Napoleon Hill

is very truthful you should examine the quote and apply it to this trick. You are acknowledging that there is a small "problem" therefore there is a problem in your mind. If you look through that you should be able to push through that problem and make it non existent.

May 3, 2008
We work in an industry with an art that is based on lies; magic is nothing but a lie until the spectator makes it true in their heads. Therefore, there is no true way to describe and advertise an effect without telling it from the point of view of the spectator. I have no idea how you would think Control is falsely advertised. The only thing on this site that i would say is a pipe dream is TNR but I think it's a great lesson in choosing when to use and not use an effect. It's more inspiration if anything.

Dec 5, 2007
You are completely misunderstanding Michael's original point. He is pointing out that what was released is completely different than what was advertised. This tangent is going downhill because you won't see his side of things and because you insist on being a fanboy. Do I think there was a level of false advertisment? yes. Is it something I am willing to look past? yes if the effect is good enough. simple i dont believe this effect is good enough. I agree with Michael. I figured out the method when they revealed it in the teaser. Yes nexus, the method allows you to hand out the balloon after some "work" but the community was led to believe it was instantly handed out. I could honestly not care less because in my opinion the trick is not worth my time.

May 3, 2008
I figured out the method when they revealed it in the teaser. Yes nexus, the method allows you to hand out the balloon after some "work" but that is not what the community was led to believe. I could honestly not care less because in my opinion the trick is not worth my time.

Why does it matter that you figured it out? Why should the work matter to you if it allows you to do what was advertised?

Before I go off in to never never land, let me give everyone the back story..... Last week the Pressure teaser came out and in the teaser you could see the effect for a brief second. A few minutes after watching the teaser, I was able to do the effect (or what I believed to be the effect at the time because it was extremely easy to figure out). There was one caveat, the method that I was using, although looked cool didn’t fit the description that theory11 put out. So I scrapped it and waited for Pressure to be released.

Finally it was Friday night and the effect we have been waiting months for is out and about. I downloaded the video watched it and I was furious because it was the same exact trick I was playing with a week before Pressure was released. So very flustered that I had just wasted $20 of my hard earned money, I told 1 or 2 people on aim and tokbox about what happened. Then all of a sudden I was flooded with im’s asking why I hate Pressure and theory11. And I told everyone that im’d me instead of wasting my time telling each individual person I would make a thread about it, and so I have...

Okay had a pack of cigs and am cool now,
I understand that you are angered that you scraped your idea thinking that you would be getting something different.
SInce you were able to see the trailer and from what it sounds like you figured out the first part of the effect, you should have been able to compare notes. You were so close to figuring it out for yourself but you were missing a vital piece of information.
You bought the effect expecting something different, but to your surprise it was the same method as your own except for that move.
To say that it was false advertising isn't true. You can hand the spectator the cellphone in the balloon after you are finished performing the entire effect.
So technically they didn't lie they played it as a marketing thing. It is called Hype.
Go to the magiccafe y'll learn all about Hype.

I do not believe that the fact that you have to make a hole in the balloon lesson the impact of the trick. You can play it off, if you know how.

You where so into trying to figure out how the trick was done that you forget that it is just a trailer, like a movie if they show you all the good stuff then what is the point?

I can see where you are angered by paying 20 dollars for one move that was overlooked, and to blame it all on theory and calling them dishonest isn't the most flattering thing to say. If you are going to call theory on there bluffs, you need to call out every magic dealer out there on theirs.

Peace,

Nexus

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Okay had a pack of cigs and am cool now,
I understand that you are angered that you scraped your idea thinking that you would be getting something different.
SInce you were able to see the trailer and from what it sounds like you figured out the first part of the effect, you should have been able to compare notes. You were so close to figuring it out for yourself but you were missing a vital piece of information.
You bought the effect expecting something different, but to your surprise it was the same method as your own except for that move.
To say that it was false advertising isn't true. You can hand the spectator the cellphone in the balloon after you are finished performing the entire effect.
So technically they didn't lie they played it as a marketing thing. It is called Hype.
Go to the magiccafe y'll learn all about Hype.

I do not believe that the fact that you have to make a hole in the balloon lesson the impact of the trick. You can play it off, if you know how.

You where so into trying to figure out how the trick was done that you forget that it is just a trailer, like a movie if they show you all the good stuff then what is the point?

I can see where you are angered by paying 20 dollars for one move that was overlooked, and to blame it all on theory and calling them dishonest isn't the most flattering thing to say. If you are going to call theory on there bluffs, you need to call out every magic dealer out there on theirs.

Peace,

Nexus

Saying the spectator can rip it out of the balloon is a complete lie. I bought it for that effect so I cold give it away as a souvenir.

-Michael

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Michael I am trying to work with you right now you are attached to one argument and won't let go, this thread will not get anywhere if you do not let go of that argument.

Wrong nexus, you are being very closed minded at this point in time. I saw your point about spectator perception, and I clearly said you cant market an effect off of what the spectator might think they see. You can only market it off of what actually happens.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
OMG Who Cares! Suck It Up, Quit Whining, And Let It Go!!! For God's sake If that is the only problem you have with the effect and you still don't like it, then Don't Perform It! Whoopdy freaking Do! False Adverting or not, It Is Still A Great Impromptu Miracle! And If You Can't see That, Then It Is Your Loss. For God's Sake, LET... IT.... GOOOOOOOO.:mad:

Jan 18, 2009
I will agree with Michael and Nexus on this one. Point of view (POV)

So here is my take on this whole situation, I will agree with Michael on part of this, when any magic company sells an item they tend to put two views on the product. They put a spectators POV and by saying ex. "IT is inside the balloon" and a magicians POV ex. "Not an invisible or brainwave deck". This is where many descriptions get sketchy because they may be telling the truth but when they start to describe the entire product they describe both POV's. I really hate when a magic company does this and I understand why but it would be better to just leave that part out and make me wonder why they never put it out.

The part I agree with Nexus on is the entire other part he is putting out. He is trying to say that you won't be able to get everything in the magic effect and start looking past the descriptions to get what you want and not what you will get. I always wait for reviews on certain products and maybe you should also Michael, I find it difficult for some products because they seem so good.

Just my take on this thread.

ANd I think you are arrogant directed to austyn but I won't call you on it. look you can't immediately hand out the balloon I'll agree with you michael. I understand that in the advertising that it says immediate hand out, which isn't true.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
ANd I think you are arrogant directed to austyn but I won't call you on it. look you can't immediately hand out the balloon I'll agree with you michael. I understand that in the advertising that it says immediate hand out, which isn't true.

Thank you,

I do agree that the effect is awesome, and not all good effects are perfect but I don't like companies telling me that their effects are better than what they are.

What does everyone else think about this? It seems to be split down the middle.

-Michael

Thank you,

I do agree that the effect is awesome, and not all good effects are perfect but I don't like companies telling me that their effects are better than what they are.

What does everyone else think about this? It seems to be split down the middle.

-Michael

I can see where you're coming from. You bought the effect so you could hand out the spectator's phone inside a balloon as a souvenir, yet that's supposedly impossible. I'd be fairly pissed off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results