Where to go from here?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to pick up flourishing. I love how it looks and would like to integrate cardistry into my magic act, for false cuts or even just shuffles. There's only one problem:

I suck.

I seem to have no good hand placement - that is what she said - and packets easily slip off my fingertips. I know all the basic cuts - Charlier, Revolution, scissor, etc. - and even some two-handed moves such as the Elevator Cut and the false double undercut taught by Joel Paschall. The Werm is probably the pinnacle of my cardistry. So I'm quite the beginner.

I love displays/two-handed cuts and was wondering a couple things.

1) What flourishes work best with magic and why?
2) What flourishes would you recommend to a person of my skill level?

I've taken a look at Genesis but it seems too rudimentary. I'm looking for something slightly beyond the basics, as I think I have basic cardistry down. Thanks for taking time to read. All suggestions are welcome.

Ian

Oct 27, 2011
India
I'd say get genesis. Cardistry is not about not being able to do stuff. it's about doing them well enough. the thing is genesis is not just for beginners ,it's for everyone. I've learned almost all the stuff from the system and trilogy i still go back to genesis for inspiration As for sucking, you have to build a basic foundation first and then grow. you can't do jackson 5 before sybil.

As for use in magic, of course you can. I've heard lot of people say it makes the effect less magical, well yes and no.
If you do jackson 5 upto leno, people won't be surprised if the card magically came back to the top of the deck. But take a look at dan's performance of an acr before uzumaki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41cqaFZXCAs

he uses a lot of basic flourishes, such as flirt, a longitudnal spread etc. but all in all i'd say there's an elegance to it. You just choose what flourishes you wanna do for magic.

And At last PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......That's the most important you'll ever get.

P.S think genesis is rudimentary watch this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cYBw2tMH5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCaPTOU5TvI

-Punyesh

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I appreciate the comments, but they all seem to reiterate things I stated in the thread. I've checked out the Wire, actually, but I think the moves too advanced in my level. Genesis seems a little under my skill level.

I welcome further comments that would point me in a direction suitable to my skill level.

Oct 27, 2011
India
well if you're looking for more intermediate stuff, you have some options

genesis v2
Papercuts by chris hetnes
EOPCF by jerry cestowski
Xcm world champions by js lin and max vlassenko
Daniel madison motion

hope it helps

-Punyesh

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I wouldn't classify myself as intermediate level, still at a medium beginner rank. I can't exactly handle packets well, and I'm wondering if just practicing intermediate flourishes is the cure. Packets often spill and come undone, and this is a major problem. I don't seem to be particularly good at two-handed cuts at all. In fact, I'm pretty bad. So I'm searching to become a better cardist, basically. Anything that helps with that is golden.

Oct 27, 2011
India
That's what i said . that's the reason to get genesis v1 or v2 i has beginner to intermediate level flourishes, v2 has some advanced flourishes as well, this will build up you finger flexibility and strength for advanced flourishes. Or you can also get something like..Motion and practice a all the flourishes , in the end your hands would be much for flexible and you can move onto advanced stuff.You can also do a lot of finger exercises like the one's in trilogy.

No mattter what you do i absolutely recommend Encyclopedia of playing card flourishes by jerry cestowski . It has both begginer to highly advanced stuff and a lot of material.

-Punyesh

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results