Jan 24, 2018
Hradec Kralove
We all know that to be better in magic, we have to practice, practice and practice at home, but we also need to show others our tricks which is essential to becoming better.
I always show my friends magic tricks, however, I feel that I am starting to annoy them especially when I started to learn about 2 tricks a week. Now, who can I show the tricks I learned? I'm an intermediate magician (I know around 20 really good tricks including palming, glide, top shot, pass,...) so I'm not that bad, but I am also not professional to have my own gigs. what can I do to train and experiment with my tricks? who to show my tricks?

In other words, what is the step between starting to have your own routines, tricks and getting gigs? I am not ready to have real gigs.

Reactions: JakeTay10r

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Go to places where people congregate, go up to strangers, and perform for them, Blaine-style.

Though I'll say two things that occurred to me while reading your post - 1) If you're learning 2 tricks every week, you're not learning them well and that probably factors into why people are getting tired of seeing it. 2) Nothing you listed is a trick (palm, glide, top shot, pass) - those are sleights or at best, a reveal. Sleights are used to make tricks.

Usually I find when someone is saying they're "using up" their existing audience it's because they perform too much, too soon, and they aren't putting enough practice into what they are learning to be able to make it entertaining.

Jan 24, 2018
Hradec Kralove
Thank you very much. That was kind of you.
1) Yes, I must be more patient learning tricks.
2) Yes, I know that these are slights. I was trying to say that I know how to palm, top shot, glide, pass,.. etc. Why? to tell the reader that I am not a guy who has been learning magic for few weeks doing lame tricks.
I have been performing at some events with friends for the past 2 years, but I needed to perform more often on a regular basis. My friends are not annoyed to see my tricks, they actually ask me many times but I need to show new more people to get most experience and joy. Performing to strangers in my town (100 000 inhabitants) is a challenge. I have to find a way. Any other ideas?

May 10, 2018
I'd definitely avoid performing to those who don't want to see it. I used to try to do it to my family - they just hated it though and therefore they started to a.) not care about the trick, just say 'yeah that was good okay bye' etc, or b.) nitpick everything (be a heckler essentially)

I'd spend more time practising your routines/tricks and find people who are genuinely interested who you can perform too, whether that's strangers on the street, or family members you don't see so often like at a family party, etc.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Pick your spots.. and by that I mean be selective in what you do and when you do it. For example, you and another person are out for dinner.. if the restaurant isn't too busy, perform a simple trick for the waitress i.e. change a $1 to a $20 to pay the bill. Etc.
I've heard many times a magician is sitting alone, library, park, airport etc. Practicing a flourish and it strikes up conversation with a stranger, which could lead to performing a trick...

Hope this helps...

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Aug 15, 2017
We all know that to be better in magic, we have to practice, practice and practice at home, but we also need to show others our tricks which is essential to becoming better.
I always show my friends magic tricks, however, I feel that I am starting to annoy them especially when I started to learn about 2 tricks a week. Now, who can I show the tricks I learned? I'm an intermediate magician (I know around 20 really good tricks including palming, glide, top shot, pass,...) so I'm not that bad, but I am also not professional to have my own gigs. what can I do to train and experiment with my tricks? who to show my tricks?

In other words, what is the step between starting to have your own routines, tricks and getting gigs? I am not ready to have real gigs.
1) Forget the numbers game related to sleights and tricks.
2) Don't make it a resolution to learn ''so-many'' per ''so much time''
3) Perform for those who'll never criticise you to break you. Perform for those whose comments will not kill you internally.
2nd step...perform for friends around whom you feel comfortable failing.
3rd step...perform for all others...except...
POTENTIAL HECKLERS.
4th step...perform for potential hecklers.

Although those were merely 4 steps...they take months to execute properly. Give them time and nurture your qualities...you'll have and make a blast!
:)

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
To add onto what others are saying about trick qanitity: Take 3 or 4 tricks that you really love and work on them until you're the best at them. Try and make them unique to you.

What are you interested in? Take your favorite books, movies, comics, or even ideas you find particularly interesting, and try and weave a story into them. This will help make not only your tricks stand out, but also you.

One example is that I took a simple trick from Royal Road and wrapped the plot about DareDevil, who, among other things, has a sense of touch so sensitive that he can read newsprint just by running his finger tips across the paper.

Just things like that makes people more interested than simply having someone do tricks at them. If you open up a little bit about yourself people tend to care more about you and what you're showing them. It's a good confidence builder, as well.

Jul 26, 2016
I would just add to the wonderful wisdom of my friends, above, to remember, "Less is more." There is nothing wrong (and maybe everything right) with performing just a single trick for someone. There is an old show business saying: "Leave them wanting more." Perhaps that is why you perceived your friends becoming annoyed. I would bet that if you wait a couple weeks and then approach them with just one amazing trick that you have thoroughly practiced and mastered (as Christopher has suggested), then stop, you will get a much better reaction from them.

Dai Vernon said that the spectator should be able to clearly describe the effect with one sentence, meaning it should be simple, direct, clear and to the point. Oftentimes when we do multiple tricks/routines for spectators, everything gets blurred together in their minds, and the overall effect of the magic becomes diluted. Whereas, with just a single trick at a time, they are likely to remember vividly, and be up nights pondering it... Good luck!

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I would just add to the wonderful wisdom of my friends, above, to remember, "Less is more." There is nothing wrong (and maybe everything right) with performing just a single trick for someone. There is an old show business saying: "Leave them wanting more." Perhaps that is why you perceived your friends becoming annoyed. I would bet that if you wait a couple weeks and then approach them with just one amazing trick that you have thoroughly practiced and mastered (as Christopher has suggested), then stop, you will get a much better reaction from them.

Dai Vernon said that the spectator should be able to clearly describe the effect with one sentence, meaning it should be simple, direct, clear and to the point. Oftentimes when we do multiple tricks/routines for spectators, everything gets blurred together in their minds, and the overall effect of the magic becomes diluted. Whereas, with just a single trick at a time, they are likely to remember vividly, and be up nights pondering it... Good luck!
If it was possible to Like a comment more than once, I would do it now!

Apr 26, 2013
Might I suggest looking at a local/nearby university for a magic performers club, or you probably would have better luck finding a local/nearby IBM ring or SAM (you might have even have both in your area) assembly you could join. With either of the three suggestions will find a group of folks with the same interests in the arts, opportunities to not only practice in front of others but receive quality feedback and ideas of how to improve not only your mechanics but your scripting, performance, etc. This will help you as you hone what you are performing for sure.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results